Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crime has been going up in Savannah for some time and tonight my wife was a victim. Someone smashed the passenger window and got into the Pilot.

Fortunately they didn't get anything and no further damage was done. They missed the talkabout radios, DVD player, and other electronics completely. Unfortunately I now have to replace a window.

Apparently the alarm only goes off if they actually open a door. In this case they did not.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Oh, man, ChuckW, sorry to hear that about your car. That really stinks. What really concerns me is that how the alarm didn't go off when the door opened. When the doors are locked, either by key or by the remote entry system, if the door's opened from the inside, the alarm's supposed to go off, or at least, that's what I thought it was supposed to happen.

Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Awww, major bum rap, ChuckW!!! Sorry to hear about your Pilot being invaded.... good thing your wife wasn't in it at the time -- could've been much worse!!!

RipRocK: Yes, the horn is supposed to sound if the door is opened from the inside based on your scenario....

ChuckW -- the tough part is getting all the little pieces of glass outta the Pilot...... bad news, indeed!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to here about the break-in ChuckW. You had to be sick and pissed off to see it. Hope the cleanup isn't too bad. And I am glad nobody was hurt. I am glad you posted this. It is interesting, but makes sense- with the type of alarm system installed, that the alarm will not sound when the window is smashed out.

RipRock- as Kemosabe stated, the alarm is suppose to sound when the door is opened. That is one way I tested the system. Anyway as ChuckW stated- his door was not opened, "Apparently the alarm only goes off if they actually open a door. In this case they did not."

It still makes me consider of installing an additional sensor to cover any windows being broken, which brings up additional questions:
1) what type of sensor would it be? I suppose a sound sensor is the cheapest and easiest to install.
2) could I tie this into the existing system and how would I go about doing this?
3) who is actually the manufacturer of the alarm system in the Pilot and do they sell additional sensors that can be added?

I know- alot of questions. But I am a curious fellow and like gizmos.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ChuckW, I am very sorry to hear that. I hope it does not cost you a lot to get the window replaced. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sorry to hear that ChuckW :(

Honda's add on security system for the LX has a glass break sensor and an option for a hood switch. Has anyone asked the Dealer about the possibility of adding these to the EX models?

By the way, were you parked in a driveway or parallel on the street?

·
Registered
283 Posts
man that sucks. Glad no one was hurt.

I guess if they broke the window then hit the unlock button on the door it would disable the alarm....just a guess?

This just reaffirms the theory of the alarm system I want to put on my car. Hook the battery to leads on the door handle. So if you grab it you complete the circuit and Zap. Fried thief mm mmm good. I would just have to make sure I disable it before I get in =).

They make security systems with leads in the driver seat so if you don't disable the system and drive off the seat shocks the hell out of you then shuts the car off.

Yes I'm all about hurting a$$holes that try to steal/destory things people buy with their hard earned money. I think it comes from when I moved as a child all my toys were stolen by the moving company =( ...so bitter :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
PaulV7 said:

I guess if they broke the window then hit the unlock button on the door it would disable the alarm....just a guess?

That is exactly what my guess was, but it is incorrect. The only way to disable the alarm is with the remote or unlock the car with the key.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sorry to hear this Chuck! :(
What keeps running through my mind is them opening your console, looking in and seeing NOTHING of value because all the valuable stuff was held tight by the velcro in the lid! :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this Chuckw.

Chuckw,where were you at the time when it happened?Are you positive that the alarm did not go off?once the system is activated,even breaking the window and attempt to open the door from inside,the alrm will go off.Was there any sign of the guy trying to get any thing ?Did he actually get inside the Pilot?if he did,he must have crawled into it thru the window.But then what was the purpose since he did not get anything???:confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
kemosabe said:
OK - So then if the security system sets automatically, what does the 2nd lock on the fob do? Push 2x & the horn sounds. I thought this was the security system.
Now I'm totally confused...
I know it doesn't take much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sage said:
OK - So then if the security system sets automatically, what does the 2nd lock on the fob do? Push 2x & the horn sounds. I thought this was the security system.
Now I'm totally confused...
I know it doesn't take much. :rolleyes:
Pressing the lock button twice doesn't do anything extra except sound the horn as an additional verification that the vehicle is locked.

By the way, pushing the door unlock switch while the alarm is armed set off the alarm and it re-locks the doors. I locked the doors while going into the post office while my friend waited in the car. When I came out, the alarm was going off and he was sitting in there frowning. He set it off when he tried to get out.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
tim.s said:
Pressing the lock button twice doesn't do anything extra except sound the horn as an additional verification that the vehicle is locked.

By the way, pushing the door unlock switch while the alarm is armed set off the alarm and it re-locks the doors. I locked the doors while going into the post office while my friend waited in the car. When I came out, the alarm was going off and he was sitting in there frowning. He set it off when he tried to get out.
Well dang! So I've been sounding the embarrassing "horn lock" (there's picture potential here, Kemosabe :D) all this time for nothin'! The things ya learn!! Thanks, tim!! ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sage said:

Well dang! So I've been sounding the embarrassing "horn lock" (there's picture potential here, Kemosabe :D) all this time for nothin'! The things ya learn!! Thanks, tim!! ;)
It's nothing tobe embarrassed about Sage.I do that many times myself just to make sure the doors are lock and if the honking thing sounds,people would know that my vehicle is locked and armed.:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Sage said:

Well dang! So I've been sounding the embarrassing "horn lock" (there's picture potential here, Kemosabe :D)

[ S N I P P E D ]

I think I'll give this one to one of my two young apprentices (ramirami or SteveLuman)... :4:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
baoloclamdong said:

It's nothing tobe embarrased about Sage.I do that many times myself just to make sure the doors are lock and if the honking thing sounds,people would know that my vehicle is locked and armed.:D
Thanks, baol..
Gotta admit, it does give me a more secure feeling walkin' away. :4:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ChuckW said:
. . . Unfortunately I now have to replace a window. . . .
Repeat after me;
"$0 Deductable / Full Replacement Cost, Comprehensive Insurance"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts