Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was accelerating coming into an intersection where the light had been green for 4-5 seconds when a woman ran out through three lanes of traffic to place herself right in front of me. I steped on the brake at about 95% maximum force. My Pilot quickly slowed while a pulsating thump-thump-thump shook the vehicle (the anti-lock feature, I think) and came to a stop about 5 feet from the woman. There was absolutely no skid and no perceptible pull to either side. The steering remained under my control the entire time.

The woman quickly glanced my way and kept running.

If I had been in my old '92 Explorer at the time, she might not be here today.

I thought this "real world" test of the Pilot's braking worth sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
A true humanitarian ...

Had a similar experience the other day trying to beat a red light unsuccessfully. I slammed on the brakes; you couls feel all 4000+ pounds of the vehicle loading up behind you, but the brakes stopped me right on the line ... quite impressive ...

No life saved ... but nonetheless ... I alone was impressed by the brakes ...

PrG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're a good person, too, PrG. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Howdy Ag said:
...while a pulsating thump-thump-thump shook the vehicle (the anti-lock feature, I think)
Sure that wasn't your heart?

:eek:

Glad to hear about the Pilot's performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Good to hear some real-world Pilot braking experiences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Wow,
That was a good test of those brakes. It's really lucky for that lady that you were paying attention and that you were driving a Pilot.

Could be a Pilot commercial on day. ;)

Seriously, if that happened to me I would be a nerveous wreck. It's good to hear that you, that lady and the Pilot came out okay.

I wonder what she was running from anyway?


It's great to drive a Pilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Len,

I was surprisingly unfazed by the encounter, otherwise I would think you might be right that it was my heart rather than the anti lock brakes engaging. :D

As for Tony's question, it seemed like she migh have been running to catch a bus. This happened in downtown Houston so that's a possibility. Also, she didn't seem to be running from something but rather toward something. She was almost "late" in the very final sense of the word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Howdy Ag said:
You're a good person, too, PrG. :D
Aw Shucks !

Although you can't see me ... I'm blushing !

:17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I would have given you 25 points for hitting her. No points for missing though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Your story just causes me to realize how oblivious many people are to their surroundings. Some of these people just need to get a clue. I mean......what do they think is going to happen when they run across 3 lanes of traffic.

At least you didn't dirty your Pilot and have something to post in the "Roadkill" subject. Better here than there.

I'm off my soapbox.........

Cheese:5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Howdy Ag said:
My Pilot quickly slowed while a pulsating thump-thump-thump shook the vehicle (the anti-lock feature, I think) ...
I like to call that the "Honda Foot Massage Feature"

It really is a nice foot massage. Try it. After a long day in high heels, just jam on the brakes and it takes the tension right out of your arches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Howdy Ag,

I too have had an experience similar to this and boy did my back hurt from tensing up. Glad everything went Ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Howdy Ag said:
My Pilot quickly slowed while a pulsating thump-thump-thump shook the vehicle.
My vote is that the thump, thump, thump was the gas tank noise...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Catbert,

Ha! You win the best-reply-yet award.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Re: Re: My Pilot saved a life today

copperpoppy said:


I like to call that the "Honda Foot Massage Feature"

It really is a nice foot massage. Try it. After a long day in high heels, just jam on the brakes and it takes the tension right out of your arches.
I'll have to remember this next time I wear high heals ... !

PRG

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My Pilot saved a life today

PrG said:
I'll have to remember this next time I wear high heals ... ! PRG
;)
Send GIF

:17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My Pilot saved a life today

PrG said:


I'll have to remember this next time I wear high heals ... !

PRG

;)


Please don't send GIF.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Had to vent...

:3: Because I had to save a life today as well. I'm heading off to drop my kids off at daycare, tooling at around 25mph. Cars are coming in both directions and three car lengths behind this Taurus the lady decides to fling open the door and start getting out to go to the hair dresser. You stupid $^@$%, it's not a Civic or a motorcycle it's a bright silver tank! ARE YOU BLIND!!! Anyway I have to jam on the brakes and test out the old ABS, it must have been on pretty good because it did the thumping thing and a little chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp... coming to a stop. Don't stress me out like that before 7:30am it is NOT a good thing, I hate mornings already. Next time use the mirror to check behind you instead of fixing your hair in it! You were going to get it done up anyway!!!!:mad:

Thanks for the venting space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Re: Had to vent...

banningjr said:
:3: Because I had to save a life today as well. I'm heading off to drop my kids off at daycare, tooling at around 25mph. Cars are coming in both directions and three car lengths behind this Taurus the lady decides to fling open the door and start getting out to go to the hair dresser. You stupid $^@$%, it's not a Civic or a motorcycle it's a bright silver tank! ARE YOU BLIND!!! Anyway I have to jam on the brakes and test out the old ABS, it must have been on pretty good because it did the thumping thing and a little chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp... coming to a stop. Don't stress me out like that before 7:30am it is NOT a good thing, I hate mornings already. Next time use the mirror to check behind you instead of fixing your hair in it! You were going to get it done up anyway!!!!:mad:

Thanks for the venting space.
Leo, I think you just need a set of those grill and bumper guards that bbecker posted pictures of! That would have taught her a lesson she wouldn't soon forget, and provide permanent ventilation on the driver's side of the vehicle!

:rolleyes:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top