Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh! :3:
I am beginning to really second guess Honda quality. We purchased a Honda Pilot on June 3. Initially it was a great vehicle. We enjoyed the emmense room and options (especially the DVD). This past weekend we really needed it to help us move from one city to the next. However, as soon as we arrived at our old house, the darned thing started revving very oddly, the engine light came on, and then the VTM-4 light came on. At this point the tranny started shifting hard and the vehicle as a whole did not want to drive. Fortunately we were two blocks from our house when this all occured (BTW, we had no cargo in it yet). Of course when we called the local dealer, they told us that they wouldn't be able to tell us anything until Monday or Tuesday. The service rep even hung up on my wife the first time she called. The last time we bought a car for my wife (red '99 Coupe EX-VL) we had tranny problems. They wouldn't fix it for 1 year until we finally told them we wouldn't accept the car back until they did something to make the tranny shift better. My brother-in-law has an Acura TL and had that same tranny problem and it took him 6 trips to the service department until they finally admitted something was wrong (this last part is just me ranting about "Honda Quality"). I am pissed about my Pilot and am seriously re-thinking my present order for an Accord V6 6spd.

Has anyopne experienced similar problems? I am afriad that our vehicle is junk now.:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Since it all happened at once

Sounds like a single problem.
It is hard to say what it is, but big things are MUCH easier to find and fix than little things.
Remembere, your dealer is not "HONDA"!
If you don't like the way a dealer treats you you should either find a new dealer, or call Honda, or BOTH!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that Honda is able to fix it up quick for you.

We bought our Pilot the same day as you and after 7800+ miles, it is still great. This is a brand new vehicle and there are bound to be a few issues. And as with all manufactured items, there are going to be some lemons.

In the earlier days of this site, people would ask if everyone recommended the Pilot. Everyone would say "HELL YEAH", "You can't go wrong", "Honda is the best", etc ,etc. I would tell the person to be wary, that buying a Pilot right now is agreeing to be a guinea pig, and that you had to be comfortable with that first.

You have to expect some issues and problems. No one has any idea how reliable the Pilot will be long term, including Honda. I don't care if most, or even if all, of the components are from other reliable vehicles in the Honda/Acura line-up, it still isn't indicative of a completely different assembly line's quality, as can be witnessed by the Water Pump recall.

We all gambled in purchasing the Pilot, some will come out winners, and some may come out losers. I hope that they fix this for you and you stay on the winning side. But we may all find that at 50K miles the whole things falls apart. I hope not and I doubt it, but you never know.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Water Pump Misconception

Just to clear up a much repeated inacuracy.
The Water Pump issue was a supplier quality problem not a Pilot teathing problem.
It has nothing to do with a new vehical introduction, nor a new assemebly line.
It affected all V6 vehicals of new and old design on both existing and new production lines.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Timing belt

Quite true, and not to excuse Honda for letting junk into the plant, but the cover casting from a supplier was bad causing the tension piece to be misaligned. This on many of those engines not only the Pilot.
It is still a Honda problem though and points big time to the QC (again) issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found out what it is...

The Honda dealer called today and said that it was a bad idle motor. They are having it shipped over night and hope to have it fixed by Wednesday.

I have been an avid buyer of Honda products for 15 years, my first being an '88 Civic. I loved that car, and it drove to the 200,000 mark. I seriously doubt that my present '00 Accord could make it another 50,000 to 100,000. At already feels like it is falling apart. I am seriously considering dumping my V6 6spd Coupe order for an Infiniti G35 Coupe. It just seems non-stop with quality issues for recent Hondas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't agree that buying the "new" Pilot is a gamble. The vast majority of the major, critical components are not new.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Found out what it is...

Seems like one bad part. Sorry to hear, but it does not sound like the whole thing is falling apart.

I would say that all cars today are not as "over designed" as they once were. This is the nature of modern engineering. As you get better you take out margin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Idle proble

We did experience the same problem with our Pilot but the service response and warranty work experience were both positive. The problem turned out to be a faulty idler valve, since it was replaced the Pilot has worked very well.

JHB

·
Registered
143 Posts
People,
Relax.... There is no such thing as the perfect car. Machines do brake and that is why we have mechanics and warranties. I don't know a single new car that doesn't have their problems. As long as the manufacture stays behind and address the problems, we are all ok.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Apologists

I know a lot of cars that have no problems new, and I've owned a few. This thing is riddled with problems and not just cosmetic.
The quality is lousy, uses cheap materials, incompetent engineering and workmanship are now the badge of Honda.
People bought these based on the Honda name and many, many are seeing way more problems than they should, me included.
If I had to do it over again I wouldn't

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Apologists

lamuncha said:
I know a lot of cars that have no problems new, and I've owned a few. This thing is riddled with problems and not just cosmetic.
The quality is lousy, uses cheap materials, incompetent engineering and workmanship are now the badge of Honda.
People bought these based on the Honda name and many, many are seeing way more problems than they should, me included.
If I had to do it over again I wouldn't
If you have a lemon, you have legal recourse.

·
Registered
316 Posts
seabbott97 said:
Argh! :3:
...the darned thing started revving very oddly, the engine light came on, and then the VTM-4 light came on...
:(
Same exact thing happened to me today. Like seabbott97, luckily I was only a couple of blocks away from the dealer.

Just driving along, minding my own business then all of the sudden at a stop light the rpms shoot up to about 3000 then back down to below 1000. Up and down up and down. I thought I was running out of gas. Then the engine and VTM-4 light went on. Sheesh.

Anyway Pilot has a little over 11,000 miles. I'll keep you guys posted. Idler motor and/or idler valve seem to be the culprit w/ the others reporting this problem. Stay tune....:3:

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Re: Apologists

BuffaloNY said:

If you have a lemon, you have legal recourse.

Depends on where you live, not all states have lemon laws.

Al

·
Registered
27 Posts
Timing Belt Tension

Hi All,

My Sage Brush Pilot of 7000 miles had a buzzing sound between 1000 to 2000 rpms when in low gear. Took it into the dealer and was told it was the timing belt tension was not good.

A question. In this thread they mention about "a cover casting from a supplier was bad causing the tension piece to be misaligned."
Can this happen again once they replace the timing belt tension unit or is the cover casting part of the unit?

PS the part is back ordered and I could be waiting a couple of days

Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Timing Belt Tension

storm said:
Hi All,

My Sage Brush Pilot of 7000 miles had a buzzing sound between 1000 to 2000 rpms when in low gear. Took it into the dealer and was told it was the timing belt tension was not good.

A question. In this thread they mention about "a cover casting from a supplier was bad causing the tension piece to be misaligned."
Can this happen again once they replace the timing belt tension unit or is the cover casting part of the unit?

PS the part is back ordered and I could be waiting a couple of days

Thanks
storm, Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering when you started noticing the buzzing sound? Was it audible almost from the beginning or did it come about just recently? Also, does the sound resemble a faint pinging or knocking at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Timing Belt Tension

Thanks RipRock,

This just started to happen after an oill change at the dealer.
It is a buzzing sound and not pining. I should hear from the dealer today. Will pass along the info.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
IF!!

If it is a buzzing from the drivers side sounding like it comes from under the hood or behind the dash try looking up mthe threads on "3000 RPM Buzz", or "Throttle cable".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts