Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went camping at Yosemite National Park with my trailer hitch mounted bike rack and my tent trailer. I think gross weight is around 1200 lbs.
It towed great.
The first night, my wife told me to lock the bear box before turning in, and I said I will but forgot. It was closed but not latched all the way down past the clip.
Well, about 3:30 a.m. I heard this laud huffing and chewing noise outside and thought to myself "that sounds like a bear". I got a flash light and took a look thru the window and sure enough there was this big (~350 lbs) bear feasting on my ice chest.
I started screaming and yelling at the bear to shoo it away and pretty soon, many of my fellow campers came out and were shining flash light at the bear and enjoying a good look.
My whole family was screaming and yelling, but didn't dare to go out of the trailer. The bear didn't care, he was really digging into my ice chest. After about 15 -20 minutes of this, I remembered my Pilot's alarm, and grabbed the remote and pressed the PANIC button to set the alarm off. That did it, it slowly got up and left reluctantly.
I am so proud of my Pilot, if it hadn't been for my Pilot, it would've eaten all other food in the bear box.
Yet another good use for our Pilot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice story lxblack. Glad to see that no damage/harm done to the Pilot nor the owners.

We (2 Pilots actually) were in Yosemite 2 weeks ago too but did not camp out or anything. Just stayed in a hotel in Mariposa and did the day-hikes there. Pretty hot and dry that weekend.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Encounter with Smokey

Almost unBEARable to read!!! Glad you used your head and your Pilot...:29:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm glad your family was not injured. And not to get overly "preachy" but don't let it be lost that you have contributed to the eventual death of this bear. Every time a bear gets food from a human it is more likely to come back for more. At Yomsemite in particular they have given up on relocation and other methods. Bears that continually come to get food from humans will eventually be destroyed.

I preach this when I go backpacking and this more than anything helps me and others focus on remembering the little things to "save the bears" as my Bear Resitant Food Container (BRFC) says.

-pilotdude

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the bear

Pilotdude,
Don't I know. Being a nature lover and a serious hiker, I do realize the problems caused by feeding the bear.
At Yosemite NP, they've done a good job of providing every campsite with a nice bear box and bear proof trash bins.
I was a bad person to not double check the bear box clip, and I feel bad for that bear. Rangers told me they had to kill 5 bears in 2000.
I think the bear went away thinking the alarm sound came from the ranger's car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts