Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piloteers,

A few days ago Mrs. BlackLion and I e-mailed 30 mid-Atlantic region Honda dealers and asked them to provide us with a no-nonsense "out-the-door" price for an EX-L, complete with our specified accessories, dealer fees, and Virginia taxes.

So far we have heard from 12 dealers, but with only mixed results from the local dealers in the NoVA, DC, Maryland area.

So, on Saturday, while Mrs. BlackLion manned the phone (a few dealers called), edited her thesis, and watched the Cub, I went on the prowl to chase-down the EX-L prices of a half-dozen dealers here in the Northern VA burbs. Along the way, I encountered more than a few packs of jackals.

Specifically, Rosenthal Honda (in Tysons Corner) included in their asking price a line-item-- entitiled "Adjusted Market Value"--of $2,995. We have yet to encounter this with any other dealer. Rosenthal's resulting price was thus $500 above our current low-bidder, even *before* the accessories were tacked-on. The Rosenthal sales-jackal was too disinterested to bother computing the accessories (nice, eh ?) and I was too busy holding-back giggles to press the issue further.

On my way out the door, I saw two groups of buyers eagerly taking Pilot test drives. The "fool and his money" adage came to mind. Needless to say, Rosenthal's paperwork now decorates the bottom of our computer-side wastebasket.

Enlighten me: are "adjusted market value" additions common practice or only when the vehicle in question is flying off the dealers' shelves ?

:eek:

Mr. BlackLion

·
Registered
82 Posts
over MSRP

Blacklion:

You're probably experiencing over MSRP because of the area that you live. Densely populated, a lot of people with $ to burn, and dealers that can sell every pilot that hits their lot over MSRP (at least for now).

I think that if you move your search into different areas you will find better deals, and cars on the lot.

For instance www.collegehillshonda.com lists 3 pilots in stock (one might be their demo that they are not allowed to sell). I think that I remember seeing something on their site about a $1000 off internet special, but I can't find it now. Maybe it was only through the end of the year.

I have 6 honda dealers in my local area, but I drove 2.5 hours north to www.bianchi-motors.com to purchase my Pilot. I saved $3k on my total purchase (including trade-in) over what I could get locally. Bianchi will give you an internet special discount (mine was $300), and they are great people to work with (ask for Mike Donnelly).

Don't worry about servicing you vehicle locally after that. Usually the sales deparment and service department are seperate cost centers and the service people are GLAD to get warranty work as they are paid very well for that work by Honda.

I think that if you move your search out a bit you will have better luck. What you need to figure out is how far you're willing to go to get a deal that you can live with :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mule,

We've a few goods ones.

Our best offer so far is from Faulkner Honda of Harrisburg, PA (www.faulknerhonda.com) 717-346-0200 They were about $500 *under* MSRP and their accessories costs are also quite reasonable. Heck, they even offered to deliver the Pilot to us (!) We ourselves heard about Faulkner via Honda-Pilot.org-- do a keyword search for "Faulkner" to get the original posting. Their salesman claimed that they do quite a bit of business in the DC/Virginia area. At these prices, I can believe it. (Hear that Rosenthal ?)
:2:

We also think highly of the quote we got from Bill Page Honda in Alexandria (on Hwy 50, a mile west of Seven Corners). They have the lowest quote among the NoVA dealers. I spoke with John Vu and came away with a very good impression: quiet-spoken, knowledgable, helpful, no-hassling.

Also, try Koons Honda in Manassas (Exit 47A, I-66 West). The young man I met claimed they could come "very very close" to matching Faulkner's offer (a tall feat) but refused (gracefully) to actually commit Koons to an "out-the-door" price that we could hold them to later (as we required). Later, we e-mailed him back to tell him to either name a price or else we'll stop wasting his time. If Koons' offer pans-out, they could well be in the running.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, we purchased our Honda at Bill Page a couple of weeks ago.

There was the typical haggling, but we ended up paying MSRP on an EX-RES with the rear mud flaps, roof rack crossbars, cargo liner, and cargo cover all thrown in as part of the deal. We were very happy with the dealer experience and they didn't try to push any of the extras (warranty, rustproofing, etc.).

We also looked at Rosenthal in Tysons. We actually started writing a contract up on a Pilot, but we became very uncomfortable about the way they went about their business. For example, a number of items were to be "understood" and not written in the contract, such as if the car didn't arrive on their lot within two weeks, that we could get out of the deal. The salesman told us that there was no need to write that it the contract.

We ended up leaving the dealership and the sales manager followed us out. After explaining that we didn't like the way they conducted business and we were walking away from the deal, he actually cursed at us. I never had the urge to hit anyone before, but I came darned close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sheehy Honda

I live in No. VA and I had been in the market for a Pilot for about 2 months, visiting various dealerships and working pricing from local Internet sales managers. The best deal I could come up with prior to purchase was MSRP + add-ons (mud flaps, wheel locks, etc.)

On November 9, 2002, Sheehy Honda (Rt. 1 in Alexandria) ran an ad in the Washington Post for an Pilot EX for $27,995 , which is $1275 under invoice. I couldn't believe it, but it was true. I purchased a brand new EX that day and Sheehy threw about $500 in add ons for free. So I saved about $1800 over the best deal that I could get.

I don't hear much about Sheehy, but they certainly want to sell cars. Ask for Shawn Tichenor. Plus, they are not sleazy like some of the other dealerships in the area. I notice that College Park Honda runs ads all the time for a Pilot for $26,995. I don't know if it's an LX that they are advertising and I don't know how legitimate they are, but they may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
College Park

We went through the same thing in looking for the best price in the DC region. We ended up buying our EX from College Park in December. The internet salesperson sells all of their Pilots at $1,000 off MSRP, plus mud flaps and wheel locks at no cost. Be careful about northern VA dealers when they say that they'll sell at a certain cost; most likely, they'll then add their processing fee of up to $300. The internet salesperson is Jonathan Rundlett, his e-mail is on College Park's website. Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts