1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck, my 2001, Dodge Dakota, Quad Cab, 4.7L V8, 6 5spd, yadda, yadda
has over 265K miles on it now.
I ordered new the way I wanted it. Original owner. Full 4 doors, and plenty of room for adults in the back seat too.
I love to keep it around now for hauling stuff, occasionally putting my 1000cc motorcycle in the back, hauling brush to the land fill, driving it to work and back, took it camping on the WI River last summer, etc.

The suspension has been going for a while. It needs ball joints, I'm sure A frame bushings, etc.
I still drive it b/c the motor still runs like new- all original- 'cept the alternator. Pimion Beraring, 1 clutch and pressure plate, etc. It needs new tires really now too.
With that many miles though, I don't want to sink too much $$ into a truck on it's last legs.

When doing some fluid level checks a few months ago, I noticed the coolant was a little low every few weeks, etc.
Never oveheated or ran hot, etc.
So I would top it off w/ 50/50.

A few days ago, I was under it with a light and although the power steering pump has been slowly leaking for years, I saw some yellow in the droplets on the bottom of the area under the PS pump.

So I paid the deposit to borrow one of the coolant pressure testets from AutoZone today. Read the few page manual with it, and hooked it up. It has a hand pump and gauge. I noticed the pressure dropping right away. I pumped a few timers more and listened. Sure enough, it was coming out of the neck right by the cap. this truck has an upper hose mounted base and cap, not on the Radiator.
Did it a few times with a bright light, yep.

Autozone actually had the exact replacement part, upper hose, cap base, cap and all. $59.
I changed the whole thing out, but had to cut about 3/4" off each end b/c it was a little long and folding up too much kinking it.

Here's the new one installed

So, I topped off the cooland w/ 50/50 and parked it beside out home and put a new air freshener in it.
Winter parking don't let you park on the street early in the morning after Dec. 1st- b/c of possible plowing.
It's RWD only, so we'll drive the FWD and 4WD Piilots all wiinter.
the air freshener is to help keep mice out of the vents, etc.- It's worked so far!

I don't want to sell that truck, b/c the real re sale value of it now is about $500! It's worth more than that to me to keep it around to do the 'heavy lifting'. Altough it's considered a midsize, it's got all the guts and towing capacity of a big truck. I've loved it all these years.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
I've used some of my previous vehicles as winter beaters over the years, well after they were past their prime. It felt good to be slumming it during those periods of particularly nasty weather and driving conditions. Remember, sometimes it's the other guy that loses control and dings you. Makes you feel like a prince when you see the gratitude in his eyes after you tell him, "Don't worry, it's just my winter beater. No need to make an insurance claim. Have a nice day."

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
I've used some of my previous vehicles as winter beaters over the years, well after they were past their prime. It felt good to be slumming it during those periods of particularly nasty weather and driving conditions. Remember, sometimes it's the other guy that loses control and dings you. Makes you feel like a prince when you see the gratitude in his eyes after you tell him, "Don't worry, it's just my winter beater. No need to make an insurance claim. Have a nice day."
Then you take the other guy to court and show up wearing a neck brace and walking with a cane.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
We had a 2nd gen Dakota with the V6/5MT/RWD... regular cab short bed. The previous owner (one of my dad's business partners) had it painted a metallic orange from the Viper and had the center section of the hood striped. Lowered the rear to sit level, 17" wheels with wider and all terrain tires. Glasspack muffler with the tips coming out in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side.

One of my bigger vehicle regrets. It was one of the most fun vehicles we have ever owned, it had the right look, a cool sound, extremely functional, etc.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
Then you take the other guy to court and show up wearing a neck brace and walking with a cane.
"Judgement for the plaintiff."

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a 2nd gen Dakota with the V6/5MT/RWD... regular cab short bed. The previous owner (one of my dad's business partners) had it painted a metallic orange from the Viper and had the center section of the hood striped. Lowered the rear to sit level, 17" wheels with wider and all terrain tires. Glasspack muffler with the tips coming out in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side.

One of my bigger vehicle regrets. It was one of the most fun vehicles we have ever owned, it had the right look, a cool sound, extremely functional, etc.
Then you would Love my truck. V8 4.7L manual tranny, RWD, posi -trac, trailer towing pack, tire and handling Pack. Installed factory HO cams myself- big power upgrade too! RW dynoed @ 230HP and 300 ft/lbs torque. Redlines @ 6K rpm.
I still love driving it, worth almost $0 resale now though, 2001 w/ 265K miles!.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every winter so far, I have driven this truck all winter long- until this winter, I'll be in the 08 FWD.

The RWD, while the posi does help, is really squirrely when it's ice/snow. If I'm at a stop light, especially the slightest uphill pavement, starting off takes it a while. People honk behind me, etc.
Never crashed it yet though.

Any FWD vehicle is the perfect winter beater!

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts