Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer put on the running boards on our Pilot before we signed the papers. I told them I'd walk if we had to buy it so they agreed to take them off. But I did try them before (the tech that installed them left already) they took them off. The verdict is they get in the way. The Pilot has a pretty low step up so when I would by pass the rb, my leg would rub on it. Same as when exiting, the back of my leg (calf area) would brush against it and mar my pants! I wouldn't recommed it because of this. Unless you're really short.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree, except I like the way they look on my white car and my youngest needs them to step in. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have bought them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree

I agree with last post: like the looks, helps kids get in and out quit a bit, and protects sides on dirt roads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: I agree

Gordo said:
I agree with last post: like the looks, helps kids get in and out quit a bit, and protects sides on dirt roads.
Ditto on the above. For those Pilot owners who have kids (or their Grandmothers who aren't the most agile) - I'd STRONGLY recommend the running boards. The step is a pretty good width too!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thumbs Up for RB

I like the running boards for several reasons, although, I'm sure at 6' 2" I'm going to have some trouble bumping into them also:

1. I like the look of them. I think they really fill out the bottom edge of the vehicle nicely, and add to the lines of the vehicle.

2. Help provide protection to the sides of the vehicle, expecially on dirt roads, etc.

3. Help ease entry for my 5' 4" wife, and younguns (when we have them, and before we get rid of the Pilot).

4. Help ease entry into 2nd & 3rd rows for parents, grandparents, etc. (I think they'll be especially helpful for getting people into the 3rd row - that was a pretty long stretch from the ground even with my long legs).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have RB on my SS Pilot too. We like the looks of it more than anything. Gives a more SUV kinda look IMHO.

Also good for our 7 year old daughter and as someone mentioned I am sure it will be very handy for getting into the 3rd row.

So, its a thumbs up for us.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Luv 'em. Thumbs up

I had the running boards installed. Great for my little kids making it easier for them to climb in and out.....My wife and her mother like it, they are both shorter than average......And I like to use it when mounting and removing my Thule cargo box. Besides that, they look good too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed a running board myself and crawled under the car. Looks like Honda did some work to smoothen the airflow by adding plastic panels around some parts that stick out under the car. I just wonder how much air resistance is added by the running board mounting brackets, they will create some turbulance at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have the dark gray running boards on my black EX/L-Res and they complement everything well.Also besides being good looking and an aid for the little uns and added protection,one would have to be 8 foot tall to be able to wash the roof as well as put on and take off a roof box,etc.They are a necessity.

·
Registered
919 Posts
hkuo,

Plating on the bottom of SUV type vehicles is typically done to protect certain components from scrapes while off roading. Probably not as large of a percentage of us Pilot owners going off road as Range Rovers, Jeeps, or even CRVs, but it's been done and the feedback sounds promising.

Chris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Everyone seems to love running boards. I don't.
I do agree that for some they will help getting in and out (especially the 3rd seat).
They do look nice and keep dirt and muck from splashing up the sides of the vehicle.
I don't want them and would also remove them if installed.
Every vehicle I've had with running boards all had issues, not in concept but in execution.
If not perfectly placed for you they do nothing but get in the way. Not to mention if you don't use them they get your leg dirty (defeating the rubber seal Honda installed, it's really cool).
They collect water, ice and snow as well as lower ground clearance (that is their goal though).

This is why running boards are optional.

Norb, I'm not sure if holes are drilled for installation but if so make sure they are sealed and or painted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
running boards or side steps?

I have kids so I will be needing one of these. What's the difference between the running boards and side steps? I like the look of both but am wondering the difference and why someone would choose one over the other.

thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check www.honda.com select pilot then click on top right side.....BUILD YOUR OWN PILOT. Choose options running boards, etc. Click summary and should give you the price. Honda price are usually higher. I think you will save $200 from the group buys in this site.:1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks vegasdude. I have already seen the prices and difference between the 2. I was just wondering what the difference is as far as its purpose? Or do they both serve the same purpose, just 2 different styles to choose from?

thanks,

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts