Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else here is TIRED OF all these "Nanny sensors" in the "modern vehicles" ?

I tried for years to stay away from buying new vehicles, I was driving a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder until recently my son crashed it,
I was "forced" to get the 2008 Pilot because.... I couldn't find any older vehicle with "little to no rust", and in "good condition"

The reason I stayed away from buying "new vehicle" is because of all these "nannyism" now embedded in them: TPMS , for example.

What ever happened to "walk around the car, visually inspect, and kicked the tire" that we survived for decades doing ?

Now the Govt and auto industry has scared the sheep into believing modern cars need all these "electronic gadgets" to "safely" drive and operate, when its the "technology" that has caused the increase in accidents and other problems, each gadget taking away HUMAN RESPONSIBILITY from driving.
All these "safety" crap is nothing more than "gadgets" that track you, more control over you and your property, and to force you to PAY A SH*TLOAD OF MONEY TO CONTINUE DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE.

SCAM as posters in this thread says ( VSA and ! Light Stay on 2008 Pilot )

If I didn't live in New England and have to deal with its weather, you best believe I would be walking, or mostly, riding a bicycle to work. ( I don't even like these new vehicle designs - all seems to be taken from the 1 template designed by some 17 year old sci-fi geek and slightly modified with just a manufacture Emblem)

I don't need a "nanny" to tell me to put on seat-belt, my tire pressure is low, there's a person or another vehicle 24 inches away from me, I forgot to lock my door, Justin Beiber is not a man, or that my neighbor is checking out my Wi-Fi... sh*t

If we ( all humans with sense ) came together collectively and stop purchasing these "new vehicle with all these electronic gadget" hopefully these vehicle manufactures would fail go bankrupt, or realize we don't need , we have allowed these lil wussy generation to take over every aspect of our lives.

* I'm not that old to not complain :D

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Yep, hate all the sensor stuff. Some of it necessary but ya, a little out of hand. I don't know why they sell vehicles with heated seats where I live. 90° + here today and will soon be in the 100s. Nothing worse than finding out the button accidently got pressed when your already dripping with sweat. 😠

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm with you for sure. Some niceties like fuel injection have helped make cars tremendously reliable vs. carb'd motors. But all of the safety features and half of the creature comforts I can do without.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,263 Posts
...my 1964 Plymouth Valiant (click on link in signature), hoping the salvage yard I left it at all those years ago still has it. A real chick magnet with the functionless extra-fat tires I put on in back which gave its modest tailfins a calipygian tilt.

Only two lap belts in the front bench seat, which could serve the same purpose as the proverbial back seat, even though the passenger side belt was useless for the two-headed driver configuration you never see anymore. Also, no headrests, which offered you more leg-maneuvering room. And no GPS to inform on how much time you spent up on Inspiration Point.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Yea cause we all know that the only reason they put seat belts in cars was not to save passengers lives, they are there so the lazy ass ambulance drivers don't have to look for the bodies.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Yea cause we all know that the only reason they put seat belts in cars was not to save passengers lives, they are there so the lazy ass ambulance drivers don't have to look for the bodies.
Hmm, thrown from the car or burn up seatbealted in a car?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm about to buy and install summer tires/RIMS on the Pilot, WITHOUT TPMS,
because, I like to live on the edge, just like millions of drivers from the early 1900s up-to the 1990s have done.

YOLO

:cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Personally, I agree with the sentiment. I drive older cars because they're easier to work on and more likely to be usable for the long term (decades, not years). I prefer "frugal" to "cheap" as my pronoun, by the way.

On the other hand, innovations like anti-lock brakes, stability control and air bags, all ideas scorned in the mainstream automotive press in the 60's and 70's as "fascist plots against freedom" are undoubtedly great advances in safety and utility, available to everyone on even the most humble low-end compact. Would anyone really want their teenager learning to drive in a 1962 F-100?

But the "Silly people these days just screw it up for me" argument will never go anywhere. There have been tough old codgers saying the same thing forever. Whether the innovation was the wheel, indoor plumbing, or cars with automatic chokes, someone has been happy to remind others that back in their day, men were men and you didn't need all that tech to get along. Even when they're right (let's have a chorus of "kids and their iphones..."), it doesn't matter. People love new stuff. The manufacturers put it in because most people want it (and will pay for it).

And there's still plenty of pretty good 1962 F-100's out there for those that don't.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
So safety improvements like shoulder belts, airbags, ABS, non-Pinto gas tanks -- Yaaay!. (y)

Nanny gadgetry that adds to things that can go wrong and are expensive to fix, and that actually make you less attentive to driving -- Boooo! (n)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
The airbag is the baby you're holding on your lap. :eek:

Kids are like Doritos in that old Jay Leno commercial. Crunch all you want, we'll make more. 👫

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Yep, hate all the sensor stuff. Some of it necessary but ya, a little out of hand. I don't know why they sell vehicles with heated seats where I live. 90° + here today and will soon be in the 100s. 😠
Maybe because Honda thinks that at some pointing your existance you might decide to venture out of Gehenna and voyage unto other parts of the world. One filled with flowers and trees in the spring and summer, one with leaves that cover the ground on a crisp fall morn . Perhaps to wanter to some portion of this great land where there fields and mountains are covered in snow during the months of winter. You know, get out of that sweating plains of hell you seem to live in. 🤣

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Maybe because Honda thinks that at some pointing your existance you might decide to venture out of Gehenna and voyage unto other parts of the world. One filled with flowers and trees in the spring and summer, one with leaves that cover the ground on a crisp fall morn . Perhaps to wanter to some portion of this great land where there fields and mountains are covered in snow during the months of winter. You know, get out of that sweating plains of hell you seem to live in. 🤣
I like where I live. Honda should give us the option of A/C seats or heated or nothing, because I'd take nothing over having a needless feature. Lots of Hondas in Hawaii with heated seats.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I like where I live. Honda should give us the option of A/C seats or heated or nothing, because I'd take nothing over having a needless feature. Lots of Hondas in Hawaii with heated seats.
Well from the sound of it then is the heating system a needless feature as well that you would rather not have in the vehicle? It would be one less thing to worry about needing some sort of repair. 😁

The reality is Honda makes several models for the customer to choose from. The 2017 Pilot LX did not come with heated seats, so your wish was available. I remember the days of base vehicles and selecting the options you wanted. It was called order one from the factory. It did have some disadvantages besides the long delivery times and added expense.....

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Well from the sound of it then is the heating system a needless feature as well that you would rather not have in the vehicle? It would be one less thing to worry about needing some sort of repair. 😁

The reality is Honda makes several models for the customer to choose from. The 2017 Pilot LX did not come with heated seats, so your wish was available. I remember the days of base vehicles and selecting the options you wanted. It was called order one from the factory. It did have some disadvantages besides the long delivery times and added expense.....
I think it's stereo typical of car makers making vehicles for "North" America. If they wanted to please their customers to the south, they could. What's funny is Honda dealerships sometime only get 2wd vehicles where I live, while they offer the same vehicle in AWD elsewhere. They scam customers into paying the same price for 2wd.
Yes, we must have the heating system for the winter months. I think we dropped below freezing a couple of times last year, briefly.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
157 Posts
...my 1964 Plymouth Valiant (click on link in signature), hoping the salvage yard I left it at all those years ago still has it. A real chick magnet with the functionless extra-fat tires I put on in back which gave its modest tailfins a calipygian tilt.

Only two lap belts in the front bench seat, which could serve the same purpose as the proverbial back seat, even though the passenger side belt was useless for the two-headed driver configuration you never see anymore. Also, no headrests, which offered you more leg-maneuvering room. And no GPS to inform on how much time you spent up on Inspiration Point.
Just wait until you can't buy a car that you can drive or the insurance will be raised so high vs. an "autonomous" self driving car you won't be able to afford it. The auto industry also has this idea of "Transportation as a service (TAAS)" where vehicle ownership is a thing of the past. It will be all autonomous self driving cars that you order through an app. and the car comes and picks you up and charges by the mile. Of course, the transition to such a thing will take a very long time.

And all of this will be pushed by the SAFETY cult backed by Uncle Sam because in their eyes, if it saves just one life, it's worth it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I like where I live.

I've been to Texas. It's pretty nice, actually. I liked it. I wasn't there in summer, though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts