Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've had my 2020 EX-L for a week now, still only has 100 miles on it. I was out of town for a while so I didn't have much drive time up to now.

I suspect this thread will run long as I keep finding things I have questions about.

Let's begin.

1. There is some kind of film on all of the glass and the windshield wipers. In the rain with the wipers on, it appears as a "fog". Almost as if the defroster is not working, but that is not the case. The film is on the exterior. It is worse for the 1 or 2 seconds after the wipers have made a pass and then it dissipates,until the next pass of the wipers.

Monday night in heavy rain, I made a short trip. A trip I make several times per week both day and night. I had several on coming cars beeping their horns and flashing their headlights at me. I had no idea why. I thought perhaps my high beams were on, but no. It was then that I realized I was traveling in the center lane (3 lane 2-way road) and not the travel lane because I could not see the fog line or center line because of the film on the windshield.

This happened on two occasions on that 20 minute trip. I stopped and bought some Windex and paper towels It improved my visibility slightly but not very much. It was very dangerous. Is there some kind of glass coating that the car is shipped with that just needs to be cleaned off? Yesterday, I made a solution of ammonia, rubbing alcohol and dish detergent, and mostly water, and washed all the exterior glass. It hasn't rained yet so I can't see if it made any difference. Glass is fine in the daytime.

2. When I first apply the brake pedal it has a long degree of travel (3 inches) though the brakes do stop the car. If I release it and press it again during the same stop (IE pump it once) The travel is reduced to just under 2 inches and it firms up quite nicely. I would expect this behavior in a vehicle with worn brake pads, but not a new vehicle. The first application should be very firm.

3. Are the wipers speed or water sensitive, or not? I do NOT have "Auto" on my wiper stalk. Again, I haven't been in the rain very much, but it appears that the intermittent timing changed with either vehicle motion, amount of rain, or my imagination :) .

4. (Comment, not question). And seriously, Via Bluetooth HFL an Iphone (the most popular smart phone in the world) can receive texts, but can't reply or send texts !!!!!. Yes I know I can use Carplay, and Siri, but it's just not as convenient for the way I use my car (mostly short trips).

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
128 Posts
4. (Comment, not question). And seriously, Via Bluetooth HFL an Iphone (the most popular smart phone in the world) can receive texts, but can't reply or send texts !!!!!. Yes I know I can use Carplay, and Siri, but it's just not as convenient for the way I use my car (mostly short trips).
This has nothing to do with Honda and their bluetooth implementation. It has to do with a limitation expressely applied by your most popular phone manufacturer...

Cheers

·
Banned
379 Posts
I haven't seen this film you speak of, call your dealer and ask.

The brakes kinda suck. I'm a fan of Honda and my pilot, but the brakes are bs. I pump my brakes all the time like I always have from the old days. They say you don't need to with abs, but it definitely helps.

I don't have an iPhone and I don't use my phone through radio cuz it just sucks. Not sure why anyone does it. I Bluetooth music but that's it.

Sorry I couldn't help with much, but I wanted to at least let you know you're not alone on the brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. - I used RainX on my other cars windshield and given me great results. No glare during the day. BUT with my Pilot, I used a nanocoat wax technology, the one where you spray after washing the car - you spray and then wash off immediately. I used McKee's Sio2 but there are other brands out there. It basically works like the RainX

2. YES, the brakes on the Pilot sucks. "I think" the reason why the travel is less after the first pump, due to fluid already accumulated and it firms up.

3. I don't think the wipers are speed sensitive (I might be wrong since I wasn't driving more than 35mph when it rained) and for sure, it is not water sensitive (turns on when it detects water because my wipers didn't turned on when it rained).

4. Sorry I don't have an iOS.

I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
For 2020, the Elite and Black Edition trim levels have rain-sensing wipers. Lower trim levels do not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am resigned on the Bluethooth reply/send sms thing.

We had a light rain this evening. It appears that with my triple washing of the glass, the film is for the most part gone. It's still a bit difficult to see at night with oncoming headlights. I though this was a product of "sitting low in the seat" like in my former Civic, but it appears that it is more than that. In either case, it is an improvement.

Still not sure about the wipers. I have not been able to determine any kind of pattern to their performance.

If ALL pilots have this brake issue, I don't want to bother the dealer with it. And I don't want them trying to fix something that's not broke. My Civic and my CRV don't have this issue. I just find in very disturbing that I have to pump the brakes once at each stop to get a firm, reliable pedal.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
If ALL pilots have this brake issue, I don't want to bother the dealer with it. And I don't want them trying to fix something that's not broke. My Civic and my CRV don't have this issue. I just find in very disturbing that I have to pump the brakes once at each stop to get a firm, reliable pedal.
Personally, I attribute the softness of the pedal to the fact that the Pilot has brake assist. In time, you get used to it. At least I did.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I attribute the softness of the pedal to the fact that the Pilot has brake assist. In time, you get used to it. At least I did.
Thanks for the replies. If it's truly " not broken" I'm not going to bother having it looked at. they do stop the car just fine. just a lower, softer pedal than I am used to, or like.

On a separate note. Does my car have "hill hold" and they just haven't told me about it? I know the CRV's have a button for it. But the sales folk said this car doesn't have it. Maybe he meant just doesn't have the button. This morning I stopped on a sight hill to talk to a neighbor. I took my foot off the brake and did not touch the accelerator. After a very short delay,certainly less than 2 seconds, I felt a little bump that I believe was the brakes releasing and the car crept forward at idle (expected). I repeated it several times and it in fact does feel like it has automatic brake hold. It doesn't do it on level ground, facing downhill, or in reverse going uphill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a separate note. Does my car have "hill hold" and they just haven't told me about it? I know the CRV's have a button for it. But the sales folk said this car doesn't have it. Maybe he meant just doesn't have the button. This morning I stopped on a sight hill to talk to a neighbor. I took my foot off the brake and did not touch the accelerator. After a very short delay,certainly less than 2 seconds, I felt a little bump that I believe was the brakes releasing and the car crept forward at idle (expected). I repeated it several times and it in fact does feel like it has automatic brake hold. It doesn't do it on level ground, facing downhill, or in reverse going uphill.
Never mind. When in doubt RTDM. Page 531 spells it out as "Hill Assist".

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK. I've had my 2020 EX-L for a week now, still only has 100 miles on it. I was out of town for a while so I didn't have much drive time up to now.

I suspect this thread will run long as I keep finding things I have questions about.

Let's begin.

3. Are the wipers speed or water sensitive, or not? I do NOT have "Auto" on my wiper stalk. Again, I haven't been in the rain very much, but it appears that the intermittent timing changed with either vehicle motion, amount of rain, or my imagination :) .

Thanks for any input.
I can only guess there is some kind of film on your windows that needs to be thoroughly cleaned off.

I would not think the interment wiper timing should change unless one changes. At to the iPhone, it is not the most popular smartphone in the world. Globally, Android pones outsells iPhone:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple more for the group.

1. I’d like to get a set of Auto Ventshade s for the car. No listing for a 2020 yet from AVS. Weathertech show a set for the 2020. Same part number as the 18 & 19. Can I (should I) presume that AVS set for the 18 & 19 will fit my 20?

2. Still only a few hundred miles on the car. The car rides pretty stiff. A lot stiffer than I remember the very brief test drive. It’s mostly the rear. Will this soften up with time or is it always going to be stiff? It’s like a pickup with no payload in the back.

·
Registered
595 Posts
1) I don't believe anything changed so the ventshades should be the same for your 2020 as they are listed for the 18 and 19 from Weathertech.

2) Check your tire pressure and make sure they aren't over inflated.

3) Have you submitted for your free printed owner's manual? I believe the original owner has 6 months from purchase to do so. It is over 600 pages and is the full version rather than the quick start one that came with the vehicle. You can also download the manual and keep a copy of it on your phone, computer, etc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If ALL pilots have this brake issue, I don't want to bother the dealer with it. And I don't want them trying to fix something that's not broke. My Civic and my CRV don't have this issue. I just find in very disturbing that I have to pump the brakes once at each stop to get a firm, reliable pedal.[/QUOTE]

I think you should slow down with making that conclusion. I don’t experience any braking issues on my Elite ‘19 and it’s not the only vehicle I drive or own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So.... I went back to the dealer and "test/compare" drove another 2020 EX-L to see which, if any, of my issues are in fact, real and which are either inherent in the vehicle or in my head.

1. Brakes. The brake issue (mentioned above). where the pedal goes low upon first application, but firms up nicely with one pump, is, in fact, a problem. The demo car DID NOT have this issue. The pedal was firm and solid from the very first application.

UNRELATED: That said, it DID have the VERY HARD PEDAL issue I've seen mentioned here in the forum. When I first got in. I went to start the car and the brake pedal would not even go down far enough to engage the "start car interlock". I told the salesman (he was in the passenger seat) about the issue, and the check valve resolution, he was uninterested. He insisted we swap seats so he could try it. He tried it once and it did the same thing. He tried again and this time the pedal moved and the car started.

2. Pedal response: The lousy gas pedal response was the same on the demo car. Inherent in the vehicle. I don't like it but I'm not going to make a big deal over something they can't fix. If I switch off Economy, it's "tolerable".

3. The stiff ride in the rear shock: This was a toss up. The demo car was what I expected. My car "SEEMS" to be a bit stiffer, but without driving on the same roads as I did with the demo, it's difficult to compare. When I bring it in for the brakes, I am going to test the rear suspension on the same roads as I did with the demo car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My biggest gripe on my 17 EX is the noisy rear suspension. I can understand "feeling" bumps, but not "hearing clunks" when going over bumps. Sad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ECJohnny, I agree. I keep telling myself I DON'T hear anything because "How can I ? It's a brand new car".....I do hear something. I thought perhaps the spare tire wasn't fully "seated" but I've got it cranked up pretty tight.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am resigned on the Bluethooth reply/send sms thing.

We had a light rain this evening. It appears that with my triple washing of the glass, the film is for the most part gone. It's still a bit difficult to see at night with oncoming headlights. I though this was a product of "sitting low in the seat" like in my former Civic, but it appears that it is more than that. In either case, it is an improvement.

Still not sure about the wipers. I have not been able to determine any kind of pattern to their performance.

The pedal is soft and pumping does help. But the brakes do stop the vehicle. I had to jam the brakes on mine once and it stopped pretty good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The braking issue requiring pumping of the pedal to restore firmness is not due to the brake assist. That is a function provided by the ABS pump and valves. A soft / low pedal is due to air in the hydraulic system which can be easily eliminated by bleeding the brakes, starting with the RR then RL then FR then FL.
The hard pedal is due to a loss of vacuum in the brake booster, which can be caused by a bad vacuum check valve, bad hose clamps between the check valve and booster, or the booster itself. These are still simple systems, using power assisted brake technology developed in the 1940’s.
Poor throttle response is due to ECO mode and detuning of the engine by the ECU due to low octane gas. Try the highest octane gas you can find (Ultra 94 if you have Sunoco or Petro-Can), and do a fillup a couple times when you are down to 1/8 of a tank. (Note: regular driving with the tank below 1/4 full has been linked to premature fuel pump failure, as the gas in the tank is used to keep the fuel pump cool).
Suspension harshness is something we have to expect in the models that don’t come with 20” tires. Honda put softer suspension on the Pilots that come standard with 20” tires to compensate for the noise and harshness of the lower profile tires.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
A soft / low pedal is due to air in the hydraulic system which can be easily eliminated by bleeding the brakes, starting with the RR then RL then FR then FL.
I don't know if they changed it in the current generation, but for the first generation the bleeding sequence, which even some Honda mechanics are surprised to find out, is to start with the FL and go clockwise, according to the 2006 Service Manual. You would do well to check the bleeding sequence in your generation's service manual to be sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
It doesn’t matter a great deal which order the brakes are bled in when there is a minimal amount of air in the lines. When major under-hood components of the system are replaced or disconnected and reconnected, it is wise to bleed the newly installed components first, then start with the nearest (RL, RF, RL then RR) wheel cylinders. Most times this isn’t the case, so we start with the farthest wheel cylinders.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts