Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've had my 2020 EX-L for a week now, still only has 100 miles on it. I was out of town for a while so I didn't have much drive time up to now.

I suspect this thread will run long as I keep finding things I have questions about.

Let's begin.

1. There is some kind of film on all of the glass and the windshield wipers. In the rain with the wipers on, it appears as a "fog". Almost as if the defroster is not working, but that is not the case. The film is on the exterior. It is worse for the 1 or 2 seconds after the wipers have made a pass and then it dissipates,until the next pass of the wipers.

Monday night in heavy rain, I made a short trip. A trip I make several times per week both day and night. I had several on coming cars beeping their horns and flashing their headlights at me. I had no idea why. I thought perhaps my high beams were on, but no. It was then that I realized I was traveling in the center lane (3 lane 2-way road) and not the travel lane because I could not see the fog line or center line because of the film on the windshield.

This happened on two occasions on that 20 minute trip. I stopped and bought some Windex and paper towels It improved my visibility slightly but not very much. It was very dangerous. Is there some kind of glass coating that the car is shipped with that just needs to be cleaned off? Yesterday, I made a solution of ammonia, rubbing alcohol and dish detergent, and mostly water, and washed all the exterior glass. It hasn't rained yet so I can't see if it made any difference. Glass is fine in the daytime.

2. When I first apply the brake pedal it has a long degree of travel (3 inches) though the brakes do stop the car. If I release it and press it again during the same stop (IE pump it once) The travel is reduced to just under 2 inches and it firms up quite nicely. I would expect this behavior in a vehicle with worn brake pads, but not a new vehicle. The first application should be very firm.

3. Are the wipers speed or water sensitive, or not? I do NOT have "Auto" on my wiper stalk. Again, I haven't been in the rain very much, but it appears that the intermittent timing changed with either vehicle motion, amount of rain, or my imagination :) .

4. (Comment, not question). And seriously, Via Bluetooth HFL an Iphone (the most popular smart phone in the world) can receive texts, but can't reply or send texts !!!!!. Yes I know I can use Carplay, and Siri, but it's just not as convenient for the way I use my car (mostly short trips).

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
4. (Comment, not question). And seriously, Via Bluetooth HFL an Iphone (the most popular smart phone in the world) can receive texts, but can't reply or send texts !!!!!. Yes I know I can use Carplay, and Siri, but it's just not as convenient for the way I use my car (mostly short trips).
This has nothing to do with Honda and their bluetooth implementation. It has to do with a limitation expressely applied by your most popular phone manufacturer...

Cheers

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't seen this film you speak of, call your dealer and ask.

The brakes kinda suck. I'm a fan of Honda and my pilot, but the brakes are bs. I pump my brakes all the time like I always have from the old days. They say you don't need to with abs, but it definitely helps.

I don't have an iPhone and I don't use my phone through radio cuz it just sucks. Not sure why anyone does it. I Bluetooth music but that's it.

Sorry I couldn't help with much, but I wanted to at least let you know you're not alone on the brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. - I used RainX on my other cars windshield and given me great results. No glare during the day. BUT with my Pilot, I used a nanocoat wax technology, the one where you spray after washing the car - you spray and then wash off immediately. I used McKee's Sio2 but there are other brands out there. It basically works like the RainX

2. YES, the brakes on the Pilot sucks. "I think" the reason why the travel is less after the first pump, due to fluid already accumulated and it firms up.

3. I don't think the wipers are speed sensitive (I might be wrong since I wasn't driving more than 35mph when it rained) and for sure, it is not water sensitive (turns on when it detects water because my wipers didn't turned on when it rained).

4. Sorry I don't have an iOS.

I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
For 2020, the Elite and Black Edition trim levels have rain-sensing wipers. Lower trim levels do not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am resigned on the Bluethooth reply/send sms thing.

We had a light rain this evening. It appears that with my triple washing of the glass, the film is for the most part gone. It's still a bit difficult to see at night with oncoming headlights. I though this was a product of "sitting low in the seat" like in my former Civic, but it appears that it is more than that. In either case, it is an improvement.

Still not sure about the wipers. I have not been able to determine any kind of pattern to their performance.

If ALL pilots have this brake issue, I don't want to bother the dealer with it. And I don't want them trying to fix something that's not broke. My Civic and my CRV don't have this issue. I just find in very disturbing that I have to pump the brakes once at each stop to get a firm, reliable pedal.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
If ALL pilots have this brake issue, I don't want to bother the dealer with it. And I don't want them trying to fix something that's not broke. My Civic and my CRV don't have this issue. I just find in very disturbing that I have to pump the brakes once at each stop to get a firm, reliable pedal.
Personally, I attribute the softness of the pedal to the fact that the Pilot has brake assist. In time, you get used to it. At least I did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I attribute the softness of the pedal to the fact that the Pilot has brake assist. In time, you get used to it. At least I did.
Thanks for the replies. If it's truly " not broken" I'm not going to bother having it looked at. they do stop the car just fine. just a lower, softer pedal than I am used to, or like.

On a separate note. Does my car have "hill hold" and they just haven't told me about it? I know the CRV's have a button for it. But the sales folk said this car doesn't have it. Maybe he meant just doesn't have the button. This morning I stopped on a sight hill to talk to a neighbor. I took my foot off the brake and did not touch the accelerator. After a very short delay,certainly less than 2 seconds, I felt a little bump that I believe was the brakes releasing and the car crept forward at idle (expected). I repeated it several times and it in fact does feel like it has automatic brake hold. It doesn't do it on level ground, facing downhill, or in reverse going uphill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a separate note. Does my car have "hill hold" and they just haven't told me about it? I know the CRV's have a button for it. But the sales folk said this car doesn't have it. Maybe he meant just doesn't have the button. This morning I stopped on a sight hill to talk to a neighbor. I took my foot off the brake and did not touch the accelerator. After a very short delay,certainly less than 2 seconds, I felt a little bump that I believe was the brakes releasing and the car crept forward at idle (expected). I repeated it several times and it in fact does feel like it has automatic brake hold. It doesn't do it on level ground, facing downhill, or in reverse going uphill.
Never mind. When in doubt RTDM. Page 531 spells it out as "Hill Assist".

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK. I've had my 2020 EX-L for a week now, still only has 100 miles on it. I was out of town for a while so I didn't have much drive time up to now.

I suspect this thread will run long as I keep finding things I have questions about.

Let's begin.

3. Are the wipers speed or water sensitive, or not? I do NOT have "Auto" on my wiper stalk. Again, I haven't been in the rain very much, but it appears that the intermittent timing changed with either vehicle motion, amount of rain, or my imagination :) .

Thanks for any input.
I can only guess there is some kind of film on your windows that needs to be thoroughly cleaned off.

I would not think the interment wiper timing should change unless one changes. At to the iPhone, it is not the most popular smartphone in the world. Globally, Android pones outsells iPhone:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts