Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a month ago. I hit 0 miles to fill up at about 365 miles. I put about 19.13 gallons in the tank at 381.8.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don’t have pics readily available but I was able to get my pilot to hit 32 mpg...once for a brief time. I can get it to average 28 mpg but that makes the trip long. Driving all day with cruise control on and not exceeding 56 mph, using a K&N air filter. Yes if you do the math, I was getting 500+ miles out of a tank of gas. Physics, it’s why speed limits were originally set at 55, because air can’t travel around an object over 55. You start pushing air the faster you go over 55. Try it for a while and you will be amazed at what a high performance air filter and not exceeding 55 will do on any vehicle.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i drive a lot on the natchez trace in ms. its a 2 lane highway with a speed limit of 50mph and if you get caught doing 55 its an expensive federal ticket. so with cruise at 54 and mostly flat, i get well over 30mpg with a vcmuzzler. sorry no pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live on Long Island, NY. I purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot EX in Feb 2019 with 58,000; 4th owner apparently. It drives well with no problems so far. I only get 23mpg with 100 lb payload plus me 190 lbs on the Hwy with 69 mile trips @ 60( 50-65) mph.
I drive on the Southern State Parkway 17miles East then turn around and come back West for 17 miles . Then turn around and repeat the course a 2nd time and return to the same pump at the gas station. I add fuel to the first click, wait 15 seconds, then add gas to second click.
Any suggestions for increasing the fuel economy and how much does that fix cost?
I just Dyno'd the car and got 179 hp to the wheels for that engine.
I have been told, quietly, that the ECM has been programmed restrictively for Torque,Horsepower and fuel economy.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t have pics readily available but I was able to get my pilot to hit 32 mpg...once for a brief time. I can get it to average 28 mpg but that makes the trip long. Driving all day with cruise control on and not exceeding 56 mph, using a K&N air filter. Yes if you do the math, I was getting 500+ miles out of a tank of gas. Physics, it’s why speed limits were originally set at 55, because air can’t travel around an object over 55. You start pushing air the faster you go over 55. Try it for a while and you will be amazed at what a high performance air filter and not exceeding 55 will do on any vehicle.
As an experiment, I followed your suggestion on a roughly 70 mile one way trip on Saturday, which was mostly on limited access highways. I averaged over 27 mpg!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Above 65 MPH, my instant MPG takes a hit. This car hates anything but level ground (even with cruise set).

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Most Economical Cruise speed for mine is between 48 and 51 MPH, the lowest speed at which the transmission will reliably lock up in top gear. Funny coincidence that this is the bottom of the EPA fuel economy test speed range for the highway drive cycle. I wish it was a little longer-legged so it would have same engine speed at 65. The latest versions add more intermediate ratios but still seem to target the highway drive cycle speeds.

I average 21 to 24 MPG, calculated at the pump from gallons and miles. Like most, it's a combination of local and highway driving. I drive like an old white-haired guy. Drive like there are raw eggs in your shoes, anticipate slows and stops to avoid braking when possible. Always drive downhill and downwind too, when possible. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live on Long Island, NY. I purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot EX in Feb 2019 with 58,000; 4th owner apparently. It drives well with no problems so far. I only get 23mpg with 100 lb payload plus me 190 lbs on the Hwy with 69 mile trips @ 60( 50-65) mph.
I drive on the Southern State Parkway 17miles East then turn around and come back West for 17 miles . Then turn around and repeat the course a 2nd time and return to the same pump at the gas station. I add fuel to the first click, wait 15 seconds, then add gas to second click.
Any suggestions for increasing the fuel economy and how much does that fix cost?
I have been told, quietly, that the ECM has been programmed restrictively for Torque,Horsepower and fuel economy.
Thanks
Bob
Thanks
Bob

I live on Long Island also. My wife gets 14mpg around town, I do little better. On trips we average 24 mpg.
Its a 2013 EXL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live on Long Island also. My wife gets 14mpg around town, I do little better. On trips we average 24 mpg.
Its a 2013 EXL.
so today after consulting with my most trusted engine advisor, me, I performed a very modest adjustment to the ZG1 placement and voila 29.337 mpg for 40 miles which included 5 miles local driving. Up from 23 mpg on a 65 mile run so I guess were getting better.!! Very difficult to achieve w/o remapping I'm told. cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts