Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went grocery shopping today and when I finished loading the car with my purchases I turned around for a moment and... and... AND... THERE IT WAS! The very first live, real life, not a picture PILOT that I have ever seen! :2:

He was wearing this spiffy white shirt with a wing pin on the pocket and this sharp looking cap SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! Wait a minute! That was at an airport once. Silly me. :bonk:

Now that I'm back on track... It was a light brownish kind of color and my first impression was how BIG it was. There was a RX300 parked not far away that looked like a hatchback in comparison.

My heart started pumping in a way that never happened last year when I test drove the Highlander! :9:

Needless to say I spent a good ten minutes looking the thing over. I even backed my Accord into the open spot next to it so I could compare size and ground clearance. I was surprised to find it to be only slightly longer than the Accord which I view as a good thing so it won't be hard to maneuver.

I was kind of hoping the owner would come back to the car so I could ask some questions about the dealership it was purchased at but that was not to be.

I was also kind of hoping no law enforcement officers would drive up to ask me why I kept peering into the windows of this fancy smancy new vehicle. :22:

Anyway I don't know why the reviewers keep saying it has nothing fancy styling. It looks to me like a truck that a guy would not be the least bit embarrassed to be seen driving down a dirt road in, along with say a Tahoe or some such behemoth.

Now I'm pumped! :) I have to be careful to continue my objective evaluation of this vehicle without getting emotional. So I am going to force myself to wait until the dealership opens tomorrow morning to run in the door with my pen in hand. :20:

No, I'm not really going to do that. I am however going to go hide in the closet so the smiley face abuse police can't find me. :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
florida_guy,

Maybe if my wife & I ever make it to Florida. (Epcott, Disney world, MGM Studios, ETC.) We can 4 wheel a bit. :12:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yup!

Yes...Lets all get together in Florida for some four wheelin' and a trip or two to Disneyworld.

Oh, and yes we can stay at florida_guy's house so we can save a few bucks. OK maybe I am jumping the gun a bit.

Don

But back to the thread. I remember my first sighting. It was wonderful.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrvincent said:
Your post was very fun to read.

BTW, I agree, the rx300 looks like a Match Box compared to the Pilot.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Since I don't own a Pilot yet I don't have much to contribute here so I try to give something back to all you fine people sharing your experiences for the benefit of myself and others.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: My first sighting!

kemosabe said:

Too many smileys...
"You have the right to remain silent....."
kemosabe has attached this image: (smiley police)
Oh no! They've found me! I don't know how but they've found me!!! Run Marty Run!!! :awais:

... for those of you that haven't seen the movie 20 times like I have that's a reference from an early seen in "Back to the Future"

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Yup!

dandbtucker said:
Yes...Lets all get together in Florida for some four wheelin' and a trip or two to Disneyworld.
But... but... with our Pilots we will be so well equipped to explore "The Real Florida" as the parks people refer to it. We've got some stuff here that man can not hope to duplicate. :)

Anyway, I'm all for the get together. :2:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Yup!

kemosabe said:

Location of Don's first sighting around 1947:
Pretty snazzy graphics work there kemosabe! :29:

·
Registered
409 Posts
SHHHHHH!

SHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone. The government has been after me sinced 1947. They saw me take a piece of metal and ....wait....who is that at the door?

I think "they" are here!

Don't believe what the government tells you. There is proof in the Southern Nevada desert at a place called "Groom Lake."

Stay tuned for more on tomorrows Art Bell show...he he

Don:14:

Watch out for the Black Helicopters...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: SHHHHHH!

dandbtucker said:
SHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone. The government has been after me sinced 1947. They saw me take a piece of metal and ....wait....who is that at the door?

I think "they" are here!

Don't believe what the government tells you. There is proof in the Southern Nevada desert at a place called "Groom Lake."

Stay tuned for more on tomorrows Art Bell show...he he

Don:14:

Watch out for the Black Helicopters...
I promise not to tell and I won't believe what they say and I will stayed tuned and I will watch out but could you tell me something?

What the heck did I say to prompt that? And what are you talking about? :D I must be a little dense... well O.K. I am a little dense but I have watched quite a few of the X-files howeverI don't know who Art Bell is. :bonk:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My first official sighting

I was late for work and found a spot right up front next to a brand new silver Grand Cherokee. I parked my little civic and jumped out, running past the cherokee, and realized there was a GIANT H on the back. I literally stopped and walked backwards to check out this Honda that I thought was a Jeep, (BLASPHEMY!) and had to do the walk around/snoop in the windows prowler thing, hoping the owner wasn't watching me. I had seen the magazine photos of the Pilot, but you just don't get an accurate idea of it's size until you SEE one. I fell in love. Discounting anything bad I'd said about the styling from seeing photos.
The next time I saw one was when I went to look for the hospital I'll be delivering my baby in. We finally found the the road the hospital was on and drove past the parking lot. Then I saw it, a Taffeta white Pilot parked all alone. "STOP!" There's a PILOT! I practically yelled. We did a U-turn and hopped out so I could show my husband for the first time. He wasn't so convinced he liked it either, until that sighting. I think he was also surprised by the size. So I end up getting mine about a month later after scrounging up $8,000 and discovering the costco auto program. It's almost affordable for a one middle income family with 3 kids :) Yay Honda, Thank you!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: My first official sighting

74PILOTMOM said:

1) check out this Honda that I thought was a Jeep, (BLASPHEMY!) and had to do the walk around/snoop in the windows prowler thing, hoping the owner wasn't watching me.

2)I had seen the magazine photos of the Pilot, but you just don't get an accurate idea of it's size until you SEE one. I fell in love.

3)The next time I saw one was when I went to look for the hospital I'll be delivering my baby in.

4) So I end up getting mine about a month later after scrounging up $8,000 and discovering the costco auto program.
1) hee, hee, hee Now who would ever do that? I actually got caught doing that once years ago by a woman who lived in my apartment complex. She was clearly concerned until I explained why I was looking in her car. Then she was flattered.

2) Which surprised me all the more because I'd seen photos with the Highlander and Pilot side by side

3) Which hopefully you'll be spending some time in very soon. Good luck with that!:)

4) So tell me about the costco auto program?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts

74PILOTMOM said:
The next time I saw one was when I went to look for the hospital I'll be delivering my baby in.
Speaking of which - did you forget your way back to said hospital????? :8:

rod

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Re: My first official sighting

florida_guy said:

3) Which hopefully you'll be spending some time in very soon. Good luck with that!:)

4) So tell me about the costco auto program?

3) Yes...I'm completely out of room now.
4) Well, some people are getting this below MSRP deal, but with the costco program it simply allows you to walk in and get one at MSRP with no haggling. I had heard horror stories of how you can't get one for much less than 2nd sticker. I loved it. Made the whole process stress & BS free. I don't know if you have Costco in FL?-it's a warehouse/bulk/wholesale store. You have to be a member, then submit your membership # at the website, and Voila, the dealer calls you. I'd say it's a great deal if you know you won't be able to haggle. (That's me)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Re: My first official sighting

colorider said:

Speaking of which - did you forget your way back to said hospital????? :8:

rod
One week late today & it's just as bad I thought it would be!:3:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Re: Re: My first official sighting

74PILOTMOM said:

3) Yes...I'm completely out of room now.
4) Well, some people are getting this below MSRP deal, but with the costco program it simply allows you to walk in and get one at MSRP with no haggling.
I'm curious if the dealer tried to sell you any extras that added to the price.

I have a deal through my credit union that will guaratee mee $400 over invoice on a Highlander... but they won't do that well on a Pilot because of the supply and demand problem but they also look over the paper work for you to make sure the dealer didn't pull any funny business.

On most cars buying at MSRP is a rip off.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: My first official sighting

florida_guy said:

I'm curious if the dealer tried to sell you any extras that added to the price.

They showed me a sheet of options if I wanted them, but I refused everything and they were fine with it. I also searched for bogus fees in all of my paperwork, and they didn't add anything except taxes & licensing.
Good luck finding below MSRP...it can be done...just didn't know that till I paid retail :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

74PILOTMOM said:
The next time I saw one was when I went to look for the hospital I'll be delivering my baby in.
Uh - No baby yet? Goin' on 2 weeks here right. Due the 18th as I recall??
Sounds like it's time for some off-roading in that Pilot!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts