Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drive quite a bit and now with 2 kids got tired of having a cramped 535i BMW that kept draining my bank account with repairs (+150k mi). Picked this car between Tesla X, BMW X5 40i and Honda Pilot BE. Glad I’m a new member of this forum! So glad to be behind the wheel of a car I know will be dependable. Thought I’d have some regrets but happy with my purchase so far (all 500 miles in haha). Cheers, here’s to 200k miles!
8F17D9C8-F46B-4764-81CE-F7AA571E1EF3.jpeg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Good luck with it. These cars don't seem to have the high mileage ability of past Honda products though. Mine was faultless during my 3.5 years though. I replaced it with a Volvo XC90 and I'm much much happier now. Given what else was in the running, I'm surprised you had a Honda in the mix, it's a totally different price point and target market.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Looks good! Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck with it. These cars don't seem to have the high mileage ability of past Honda products though. Mine was faultless during my 3.5 years though. I replaced it with a Volvo XC90 and I'm much much happier now. Given what else was in the running, I'm surprised you had a Honda in the mix, it's a totally different price point and target market.

As a follow on to your comment on cars in the mix. Taking price and luxury components off the table for a minute, the real glaring difference is in performance, total miss match. Also i can see maybe have a slightly lower price point/luxury option, but would that not be the MDX. If reliability is the target goal, Toyota and others should have been on the list. I have seen so many folks on these car forums go, I am looking at a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and a Camaro. I bought the Camaro. Or they start out I could afford anything and I bought the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice family vehicle, but i do not see it as "i could afford anything vehicle". All of the above is my point view, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
70 Posts
What a beauty...black beauty.. any plans for adding aftermarket accessories?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a follow on to your comment on cars in the mix. Taking price and luxury components off the table for a minute, the real glaring difference is in performance, total miss match. Also i can see maybe have a slightly lower price point/luxury option, but would that not be the MDX. If reliability is the target goal, Toyota and others should have been on the list. I have seen so many folks on these car forums go, I am looking at a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and a Camaro. I bought the Camaro. Or they start out I could afford anything and I bought the Pilot. The Pilot is a nice family vehicle, but i do not see it as "i could afford anything vehicle". All of the above is my point view, your mileage may vary.

Agree price point and performance are in different categories. All the cars however are over 6000lbs and qualify for the 179 tax credit. My criteria included 3rd row too. My deciding factors were Tesla and electric range / charging just didn’t seem practical to me (not quite there yet). BMW, I have little confidence in long term durability... Although drive is better. Honda=good price point. Dependable. Was never a huge fan of Acura especially price point and gas mileage. Just needed a car I could rack up the miles and not worry....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree price point and performance are in different categories. All the cars however are over 6000lbs and qualify for the 179 tax credit. My criteria included 3rd row too. My deciding factors were Tesla and electric range / charging just didn’t seem practical to me (not quite there yet). BMW, I have little confidence in long term durability... Although drive is better. Honda=good price point. Dependable. Was never a huge fan of Acura especially price point and gas mileage. Just needed a car I could rack up the miles and not worry....
I have heard of the tax credit thing before, is that a Federal or State tax credit? And what is the logic behind it?

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Just needed a car I could rack up the miles and not worry....
If you're new to Honda ownership (and if you haven't done so already), familiarize yourself with the operation of the Maintenance Minder. It's not just an oil life monitor - and it doesn't monitor the oil level.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. The BE is pretty sweet!

·
Registered
705 Posts
All the cars however are over 6000lbs and qualify for the 179 tax credit....... Was never a huge fan of Acura especially price point and gas mileage.
What do you mean over 6,000lbs? I think you mean when fully loaded? The Pilot is probably 4500 at most and none of them should have a curb weight that high.

Acura is the same company and the MDX shares a ton with the Pilot including the engine. Agree about value but gas mileage should be really close. I couldn't justify the extra cost either, I didn't feel you were getting enough to make it worth it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Pilot is a nice family vehicle, but i do not see it as "i could afford anything vehicle".
I sort of agree, the thing is that there isn't much choice in a 3rd row SUV that's higher up the ladder. Seating for 8 is very limited for example, most are only 7 and the 3rd rows are after thoughts IMO. If you need a certain configuration, the Pilot may be the only thing that fits the bill. Try getting a top of the line model with a 2nd row bench, nearly impossible!

·
Registered
164 Posts
What do you mean over 6,000lbs? I think you mean when fully loaded? The Pilot is probably 4500 at most and none of them should have a curb weight that high.

Acura is the same company and the MDX shares a ton with the Pilot including the engine. Agree about value but gas mileage should be really close. I couldn't justify the extra cost either, I didn't feel you were getting enough to make it worth it.

GVWR over 6,000 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive quite a bit and now with 2 kids got tired of having a cramped 535i BMW that kept draining my bank account with repairs (+150k mi). Picked this car between Tesla X, BMW X5 40i and Honda Pilot BE. Glad I’m a new member of this forum! So glad to be behind the wheel of a car I know will be dependable. Thought I’d have some regrets but happy with my purchase so far (all 500 miles in haha). Cheers, here’s to 200k miles! View attachment 134003
This car looks awesome. I like it. Thinking about buying something similar for myself. I heard that if I buy a car direct from the Japan, it will cost me less than if I buy it from the U.S. retailer. But I don't know, how to deliver it here. One of my friends said that people from jdmimports101.com can help me with that. Did anyone here order a car shipping from those guys? My friend says that they make it perfect. Fast and without any damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts