Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really review just trade-in my 2016 pilot for other vehicle and sharing my experience. I really missed the size and room for family and enjoyed so many family road trip and mileage I got 27-30mpg for highway. Especially our family loaded stuffs for camping. I had 2016 EX-L with Honda Sense which best option I got when I first bought it and it helps alot from highway driving. Also did Head Unit hack and best hack I ever got out from Pilot. I can run Waze using my phone hotspot in fact it way better than carplay/andriod auto. As you know bluetooth will disabled running CP/AA, my kids can't watch netflix using car speaker. Whoever got 2016 no need to switch out 2017 HU just run hack if you using Waze. I'm like others got all problems for first model year.
  • rear hatch motor got replaced around 8k mil
  • front wheel bearing replaced around 28k mil
  • fuel injectors replaced around 37k mil
  • front heated seat out 40k mi
  • transmission solenoid replace around 55k mi
  • water in rear hatch/tailgate probably since I got the ever and didn't realized a year later
  • fuel door and tail gate hatch not align with body
  • rotor wrapped around 55k.
Finally I trade-in at 62k mi, good things most big issue covered by warranty. I don't have enough fate to keep car for 100k and move on next vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, not really review just trade-in my 2016 pilot for other vehicle and sharing my experience. I really missed the size and room for family and enjoyed so many family road trip and mileage I got 27-30mpg for highway. Especially our family loaded stuffs for camping. I had 2016 EX-L with Honda Sense which best option I got when I first bought it and it helps alot from highway driving. Also did Head Unit hack and best hack I ever got out from Pilot. I can run Waze using my phone hotspot in fact it way better than carplay/andriod auto. As you know bluetooth will disabled running CP/AA, my kids can't watch netflix using car speaker. Whoever got 2016 no need to switch out 2017 HU just run hack if you using Waze. I'm like others got all problems for first model year.
  • water in rear hatch/tailgate probably since I got the ever and didn't realized a year later
Finally I trade-in at 62k mi, good things most big issue covered by warranty. I don't have enough fate to keep car for 100k and move on next vehicle.
A lot of issues for a Honda, no?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm going to do a final report on my 16 EX-L as well, it just went back a week ago. I had no mechanical trouble but the report won't be very kind lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
What did you replace it with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me wrong, Pilot has not major issue with engine and transmission (at least 6spd). Only major issue with fuel injectors most likely manufacturing defect impact most 2016/2017 model.
@TWINTRBO , xc90 very nice but 60K+ so can't compare to pilot. I test drove it and was my top choice but I second doubted with reliability so I settle with RX450HL.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Pilot has not major issue with engine and transmission (at least 6spd). Only major issue with fuel injectors most likely manufacturing defect impact most 2016/2017 model.
@TWINTRBO , xc90 very nice but 60K+ so can't compare to pilot. I test drove it and was my top choice but I second doubted with reliability so I settle with RX450HL.
I'm not trying to compare to the Pilot but it's definitely in a different league. My sticker was 56k so not too far off an Elite anyway.... We would have had to get a Touring to get memory seats this time around and the Elite was not in the running because no bench second row. As an aside, it's really stupid that all manufacturers are making their top models without a bench. We skipped on quite a few vehicles for that reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could you please elaborate on some of your issues?
Particularly solenoid, rotor and fuel injectors.
I have a 2017 EX 35k miles trying to troubleshoot. Hate the way it drives. Had tsb for transmission flush and software upgrade already. Transmission may be slipping, rotors are warped as it vibrates when stopping from faster speeds plus slow speed braking is odd and not smooth, feels like it keeps grabbing even though I don't press brake harder. Downshifting is horrible and too noticeable. Seems to lock up and brake car at 22 and 18 mpg. Really stinks for mostly city driving.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hate the way it drives.....Transmission may be slipping.... Downshifting is horrible and too noticeable. Seems to lock up and brake car at 22 and 18 mpg. Really stinks for mostly city driving.
I had exactly those complaints myself. I turned it back in with 21k on the clock and the transmission was shifting weird and doing odd things, something was definitely not right but not my issue anymore. The downshifting phenomenon I dubbed "Snatch 22", without a doubt it was the worst part of the car and I found myself liking it less and less as time went on.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I'd say this is not a great exit interview... sounds like TT is going to have a similarly poor exit interview... I've been on various Honda forums over the years and have never seen as many negative and similar posts as I have about the 3rd gen Pilots... sad for me since I've been a fanboy. Hopefully our 2nd gen goes the distance.

Enjoy the Lexus and the Volvo, both seem to be stellar vehicles based on the reviews of coworkers who own them.

Reactions: TWINTRBO
1 - 11 of 11 Posts