Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Long time lurker and I do appreciate all the tips and advice I picked up from members here. We took a gamble and purchased an 09 ex-l 2 years ago with 101k thinking "it's a honda, barely broken in right". Only afterwards did I learn of the issues with the j-series v6 and variable cylinder management. I almost immediately noticed the oil consumption was 1-2 quarts every 5000 miles. This was with Mobil syn 5w30(hot temps in the south). Lived with it after researching and just kept a close eye on the level. Replaced plugs at 120k and rear bank was pretty oil fouled, again expected. And of course the wife always complained of the shudder when eco mode engaged. I finally broke down and installed the VcmuzzlerII at 135k and hoped for some improvement in oil consumption over time and of course eliminating the shudder to some extent. Folks, it was immediate! It's at 143k now, 2nd oil change since install coming up at 145 and has not burned a noticeable amount of oil period. I've gone from checking weekly to monthly. Take the leap, install is a snap and piece of mind is easily worth $200. I know the honda engineers line but GM and Chrysler don't have this issue or a lost class action lawsuit for cylinder deactivation related engine failures. Oh and now the wife just complains about the normal things like the rear wiper streaks lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for sharing the experience & update. Mine is very similar...2010 with mileage not a lot different as well as the "immediate" improvement in terms of oil consumption, plug fouling and elimination of the VCM shudder. After a couple of years now, the proof of the "Muzzler upgrade" is obvious to me, too -- had I not "found" the (Muzzler) solution here I'm confident that my Pilot engine would have required major surgery long ago, not to mention the money spent on oil and plug replacements and "aggravation" of the shudder. Mc

·
Registered
56 Posts
The VCMuzzler II is simple and works brilliantly. I installed mine two years ago and could not be happier. Tip of the hat to Verbatim for investing in the research and developing a solid product that works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to agree. I use the VCMuzzler on my 2010 Pilot and have the same great results, especially the oil consumption issue.
Great product.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I put a muzzler on my 2009 @ 100k and went from adding a couple of qts of oil between changes to absolutely no oil consumption.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting to see so many reporting less oil consumption. I thought I had read on here that the oil consumption issue with VCM was related to the flawed piston ring design, which the muzzler has no effect on. Not that I am doubting the experiences shared here. They are making me think I should give the muzzler (or its alternative) a try.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Interesting to see so many reporting less oil consumption. I thought I had read on here that the oil consumption issue with VCM was related to the flawed piston ring design, which the muzzler has no effect on. Not that I am doubting the experiences shared here. They are making me think I should give the muzzler (or its alternative) a try.
There are others that have argued with me about this point. I have hard data to support my claim. 100k of adding oil and 40k miles after adding the muzzler i have not added a drop. The person that has argued with me about this claims that i do not understand how the muzzler works. I fully understand that it does not mechanically change the engine.

IMO Honda must not simply be able to disable the VCM in warranty claims ( this must affect their EPA rating or so on)but in order to compensate for whatever happens in the affected cylinders they replace the rings and people see a positive effect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After all the positive threads and posts about the muzzler you doubt its positive results??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts