Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO ...

... I didn't order the RES. After I heard everyone talking about it, I became insanely jealous and regretted NOT getting the RES.

So I was a Costco the other day and guess what I found?

A cutie of a 19 inch color TV with a VCR that will operate off my car battery. So, I bought it.

Now while that seemed like a dandy idea at the time, um, er, uh ... where do I put it? I can put it between the driver's seats but, if I break too fast, it's gonna crash against the dash. And it is way to heavy to hold in someone's lap. Should I have a "thingie" built for the center of the middle row to put it on?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you mean a 9" TV/VCR? If so, I bought a 9" TV/VCR carrying case at Target today. You put your TV in it and it has straps that go around the front seats to help hold the TV in place. I have not had a chance to try it out yet. When I do, I will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BEX said:
Do you mean a 9" TV/VCR? If so, I bought a 9" TV/VCR carrying case at Target today. You put your TV in it and it has straps that go around the front seats to help hold the TV in place. I have not had a chance to try it out yet. When I do, I will let you know how it works.
WHA... yours has STRAPS? Mine doesn't.

Straps sound like a very good idea.

Wonder if a bungee cord would work?

·
Registered
166 Posts
We've got a 13" TV/VCR that we originally purchased to keep the kids quiet in the back of our Caravan. Because of the way the seats in that thing moved, we'd put it on a small milk crate, then bungee cord it down. Worked great, and never a problem.

With the Pilot, we fold down the 2nd row seats, put the TV/VCR as far forward as possible, then use the cargo net to strap it down - between the child seat harness points, and the headrest posts, everything stayed put, and kept the kids happy.

Not nearly as convenient as a RES, but then again, it only cost $120, and when it's not in the Pilot, it's in the garage, where it gets plenty of use!

Ed F
H-Blue, 5200 miles

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah ... GOOD IDEA. VERY good idea.

(nodding and smiling)

·
Registered
900 Posts
CP, we had a 9" AC/DC TV/VCR that we used in the Olds Silhouette that got replaced with the Pilot. It fit between the front seats, on the floor (no center console can be an asset at times.) My husband tilted it up with wood/styrofoam base. Worked well. But the RES in the Pilot is so much better, no cables or TVs etc. for the kids to trip over. Which is good because as you have discovered, there is hardly room for the TV!

Interesting thing was, our kids, who have never known anything but Cable TV, were always confused as to why the little TV in the car wouldn't get TV signals, except in cities, and when it did, why weren't all their favorite cartoon channels there, and why were all the channel numbers different??? It took a while to explain the concept. Amazing what our kids take for granted.

Did you check out the posts by ejpnyc? She is getting Honda RES in her EXL-NAV, installed by the dealer. It's a recently available option, apparently. We look forward to hearing how it works out, and seeing pictures.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
havasu said:
CP, we had a 9" AC/DC TV/VCR that we used in the Olds Silhouette that got replaced with the Pilot. It fit between the front seats, on the floor (no center console can be an asset at times.) My husband tilted it up with wood/styrofoam base. Worked well. But the RES in the Pilot is so much better, no cables or TVs etc. for the kids to trip over. Which is good because as you have discovered, there is hardly room for the TV!

Interesting thing was, our kids, who have never known anything but Cable TV, were always confused as to why the little TV in the car wouldn't get TV signals, except in cities, and when it did, why weren't all their favorite cartoon channels there, and why were all the channel numbers different??? It took a while to explain the concept. Amazing what our kids take for granted.

Did you check out the posts by ejpnyc? She is getting Honda RES in her EXL-NAV, installed by the dealer. It's a recently available option, apparently. We look forward to hearing how it works out, and seeing pictures.
Here;s that thread...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2005&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Sounds to me like Jerry Murray is saying RES is NOT available in NAV. It went back & forth... :8:

·
Registered
168 Posts
From the factory you cannot get the RES with the NAV. BUT, Honda now has a dealer installed, Honda certified equipment, RES (rear entertainment system;DVD) that can be installed before delivery. Here is the kicker. Since the Nav takes up all available "cubby space" in the dash, there is no available space to install the dealer installed RES.

Many dealers offer DVD packages installed through aftermarket companies that use systems that do not require dash space to install. That could be the root of some confusion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
hubby45251 said:
From the factory you cannot get the RES with the NAV. BUT, Honda now has a dealer installed, Honda certified equipment, RES (rear entertainment system;DVD) that can be installed before delivery. Here is the kicker. Since the Nav takes up all available "cubby space" in the dash, there is no available space to install the dealer installed RES.

Many dealers offer DVD packages installed through aftermarket companies that use systems that do not require dash space to install. That could be the root of some confusion. Hope this helps.
hubby... Thanks for that very clear explanation! :29:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the 9" TV/VCR combo and built a small stand that fit between the rear seats and the rear AC unit. I have it carpetted with a small hole cut to put the power cable directly into the rear power outlet. I'll have to check, I posted some pics of it in the past. I'll see if I can find the link. It holds the TV off the AC unit and gives a good tilt for the kids. (Of course it does rule out the middle seat but I only have two kids.)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
banningjr said:
I have the 9" TV/VCR combo and built a small stand that fit between the rear seats and the rear AC unit. I have it carpetted with a small hole cut to put the power cable directly into the rear power outlet. I'll have to check, I posted some pics of it in the past. I'll see if I can find the link. It holds the TV off the AC unit and gives a good tilt for the kids. (Of course it does rule out the middle seat but I only have two kids.)
OH THAT SOUNDS GREAT!!!

With baited breath...
CopperPoppy

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
9" vs 13" TV

I use the 13" tv/vCR unit.
It is a bit big, but tkeeps the kids apart :)
I think I would have gone with the 9" if I had tried it first.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OK, so I too go with the 9 inch tv/vcr combo in the Pilot. I have a bit of an odd approach to the rigging. I use the cargo net, the bigger aftermarket Honda net, as a sling for the tv/vcr. I strap one set of corners to the head rest with a couple of straps from my Thule roof top carrier. I then hook the bottom hooks of the net up near the top corner to create a sling that the back end of the tv/vcr set sits in. The front of the set rests on the edge of the seat or something underneath it (bag, cooler, etc.) I have found this to work fine. I, of course, would rather have a bag designed for this - which is easily found on the net, but why bother, we only use it on big trips? Besides, it is really the only thing I have found the net to be good for. I should be rigging it again for Christmas travels, if anyone is interested I'll post a few pics.

·
Registered
136 Posts
sure thing- show pics

Why not show us the money! That is show us the pics when you get it back inside.
Thanks,
Bob:2:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I would love pictures of your set-up. Frankly, I am about to go with the milk crate.

:4:

·
Registered
26 Posts
We used our TV/VCR carrying case last week and it worked great. You put the TV in the case and set it on the console (you might want to put a piece of cardboard or a towel under it because the case has gripper feet on it that might scratch your console). The case has straps that wrap around the front seat headrests to hold the TV in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just back from a 1000+ mile vacation in Florida with a 10yo girl and an 8yo boy.

Here is what we did. Both kids in middle row, b/c we needed the 3rd row down to pack luggage. We found a milk crate, with unusual dimensions, 2x the normal height, but only 1/2 the normal width. It was placed in front of the rear a/c unit. I then placed my notebook pc with DVD on top, and bungeed it to the milk crate. The milcrate was "almost" wedged in place, the kids sat on either side behind the driver and passenger side of driver row. The inverter was placed in the milk crate,a nd fed through the back of the milk crate to the power port on the back of the drivers console. B/C the notebook screen, opens back, the screen is about 10 inches back from where a normal screen on a tv would be. This help since the 2nd row passengers are right on top of the milk crate.

This worked great! Also, loaded up mp3's on the notebook for the kids to listen to with headphones. Plus, a couple of PC games, and the trip was a breeze. Only prob was that the 2nd row seats do not recline as much as our old M/Van used to, so sleeping took some getting used too.

Cost of the RES: ~$1,500.
Cost of a notebook entertainment system: ~800 to 2,500 depending on config.

Advantages of RES - no wires, better viewing angles, easily integrates with sound system.

Advantages of notebook - Bigger picture 14 or 15" compared to 7" RES, I think. Does integrate with an earphone plug on PC to tape accessory found in all department stores or auto stores. Games built right in. Music/Jukebox built right in. Plus for me, I also used it as a download repository for my digital camera everytime I ran out of memory while on vacation. Digital wallets cost about 200-300 depending on size of harddisk. The best advantage was that it was all removed when I got home, so the kids will not ask for a DVD when our trip is only 10 minutes.

my $.02
Pauly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts