Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the short of the story is a swerved to avoid a deer int eh road during some fog. I Went off road and severely bent my back drive wheel and knocked out suspension alignment on everything else. (I also ran over a mile marker). THat being said. Camber adjustment bolts and arms had everything squared up again except my driver rear toe. We replaced the shock but no fix. It is currently out 1.2 degrees after new shocks in rear. At this point I have spent 300 on alignments and this is what I've done. It's 4wd so I swapped the lower control arm A out left to right. Made no difference. I pulled everything apart and can't find anything bent or that looks unordinary. I've basically got it narrowed down to the trailing arm, the lower A arm or a minor frame bend. Anyone have any ideas? I'm on shop number 3 now and all of them have no clue so they just want to replace all the suspension components down there to the tune of $1500 or so. Even bought it to a body shop with frame machines and they say the same thing. I would prefer not to randomly replace stuff and pray for the best.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
Put the car on a rack and have it measured. I'm thinking you may have bent the subframe that holds all the suspension and drivetrain components.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I brought it to the only body shop in the area with a frame machine. I'm not sure if they actually measured it, but they believed it was the suspension components. That back left took a pretty hard hit. Hard enough to hit the bumpstops, bend the wheel and then pull the tire off the bead. I'm worried your correct, but is it possible the Lower A Arm bushing might be shot or there is an issue where the alignment bolt is? Should I try to find a 4th shop?
20191223_101430.jpg

·
Banned
379 Posts
I don't know what it looks like under this model, but check brackets that hold trail arms etc. They can bend a move a bit and no one ever looks at them. You could have moved a bracket enough that it's not real noticeable, but still not quite right.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So the short of the story is a swerved to avoid a deer int eh road during some fog. I Went off road and severely bent my back drive wheel and knocked out suspension alignment on everything else. (I also ran over a mile marker). THat being said. Camber adjustment bolts and arms had everything squared up again except my driver rear toe. We replaced the shock but no fix. It is currently out 1.2 degrees after new shocks in rear. At this point I have spent 300 on alignments and this is what I've done. It's 4wd so I swapped the lower control arm A out left to right. Made no difference. I pulled everything apart and can't find anything bent or that looks unordinary. I've basically got it narrowed down to the trailing arm, the lower A arm or a minor frame bend. Anyone have any ideas? I'm on shop number 3 now and all of them have no clue so they just want to replace all the suspension components down there to the tune of $1500 or so. Even bought it to a body shop with frame machines and they say the same thing. I would prefer not to randomly replace stuff and pray for the best.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm curious - how would shocks have anything to do with toe? Shocks don't control ride height nor alignment, they simply stabilize movement.... unless I don't understand something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you file an accident report with your insurance?
I did but I'm trying to avoid totaling the car because my wife is in love with the dang thing. So we just had the body work and the curtain airbags replaced. (The car got up on two wheels and tripped the tilt sensor which deployed the curtain airbags.....expensive, sad day)

I'm curious - how would shocks have anything to do with toe? Shocks don't control ride height nor alignment, they simply stabilize movement.... unless I don't understand something.
Well when the shock is blown out it usually affects camber which can possibly affect toe. A damaged shock can change ride height. They were replaced because the camber was shot (-2.5 degrees) and the shock was no good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts