Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I did not have to resort to the 3 1/2' 3/4" drive cheater bar which I used originally, but I still could not remove the filler plug with just the 1/2" drive ratchet. Had to use the 2' 1/2 drive cheater bar. It seems that the design of this plug is such that it self-tightens as I lightly tightened it with the ratchet last time.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not feel that it was necessary to use either the teflon tape (as I did not anticipate any spills) or anti-seize (as I would be afraid that it could contaminate the fluid). I can open it one way or another, just find it amusing that the lightly tightened plug, which has no traces of rust whatsoever, is self-tightening at that rate.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
Mine definitely took more effort to loosen than tighten. A nice long breaker bar is the way to go on that filler bolt.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I did not feel that it was necessary to use either the teflon tape (as I did not anticipate any spills) or anti-seize (as I would be afraid that it could contaminate the fluid). I can open it one way or another, just find it amusing that the lightly tightened plug, which has no traces of rust whatsoever, is self-tightening at that rate.
The self-tightening filler plug has been mentioned often in this forum. Perhaps different expansion of the aluminum case and the steel plug, combined with vibration, are to blame. In any case, it seems to be a common issue. My Pilot has the oil jet, so I never touch the filler plug, I just use the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Ryobi 1/2 inch impact with 3 1/2 inch extensions no issues at all to open the bolt . Just a light squeeze bzt bzt and it’s open .. Never looked back since.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
well its the same question why would you if you can get the filler cap open ? .. almost 240k later not planning to change any time soon :) Guess it's really just up to the person doing it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
Ryobi 1/2 inch impact with 3 1/2 inch extensions no issues at all to open the bolt . Just a light squeeze bzt bzt and it’s open .. Never looked back since.
Well that takes the fun out of it. I enjoy trying to avoid slamming my knuckles into something when that bolt breaks free.?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
173 Posts
This time I did not have to resort to the 3 1/2' 3/4" drive cheater bar which I used originally, but I still could not remove the filler plug with just the 1/2" drive ratchet. Had to use the 2' 1/2 drive cheater bar. It seems that the design of this plug is such that it self-tightens as I lightly tightened it with the ratchet last time.
Yeah, it's uncanny how much that darn ATF filler bolt tightens-up between fluid changes. I just make sure mine is slightly snug because I know it's gonna be a bear if I really hunker it down. I've found my Harbor Freight 1/2" drive extendable ratchet to be perfect for the job along with the required length extension(s). I just make sure to have my feet planted on the ground for stability because it can jolt you when it finally releases.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Well that takes the fun out of it. I enjoy trying to avoid slamming my knuckles into something when that bolt breaks free.?
I actually just wait until the boss at home did something and you need to blow off steam it's much cheaper than paying for therapy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts