Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many instances where my Honda Pilot would shut off at a stop light and will not start back up. The whole car shuts off and there is a whole procedure to get the car back on. This has happened to me several times, which is very dangerous situation. When is Honda going to recall these cars and fix this issue? I have seen many other Honda owners with the same issue and Honda has not done anything.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,383 Posts
Are you confusing Econ mode with the Auto Idle Stop feature? Econ affects your middle level throttle response and should have no bearing on stopping.

Auto Idle Stop on the other hand is designed to turn off the engine when you come to a complete start, and then restart the vehicle when you release pressure on the brake.

You have the option of disabling the Auto Idle Stop when you start the vehicle. The feature is explained in the manual starting on page 545.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Your driving habits may be a contributing factor in this issue as well. The system needs a fully charged battery to use the system. If you are doing a lot of short little trips then it would be good to disengage the system as you may not be giving the battery enough time to reach the level of charge needed to start the engine.

· Registered
77 Posts
Experiencing the same thing with our 19 Elite. Going to get a new battery to see if that helps. If not then we’re going to do the permanent auto idle stop disable trick. And yes, this should be the subject of a recall.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you confusing Econ mode with the Auto Idle Stop feature? Econ affects your middle level throttle response and should have no bearing on stopping.

Auto Idle Stop on the other hand is designed to turn off the engine when you come to a complete start, and then restart the vehicle when you release pressure on the brake.

You have the option of disabling the Auto Idle Stop when you start the vehicle. The feature is explained in the manual starting on page 545.

View attachment 156468

Your driving habits may be a contributing factor in this issue as well. The system needs a fully charged battery to use the system. If you are doing a lot of short little trips then it would be good to disengage the system as you may not be giving the battery enough time to reach the level of charge needed to start the engine.
Yes you are correct

View attachment 156468

Yes you are correct the Auto Idle Stop. I do try and turn it off but sometimes I forget. This has happened a few times before, but yesterday I couldn't get the car started fast enough and people were freaking out on me. The battery was changed last year under warranty because it wasn't charging properly. I think this is something that should be fixed or a way to disconnect it all together. Thank you for the info. :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Experiencing the same thing with our 19 Elite. Going to get a new battery to see if that helps. If not then we’re going to do the permanent auto idle stop disable trick. And yes, this should be the subject of a recall.
My battery was replaced last year for not charging properly. I will have to look up the permanent disconnect trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.