Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my pilot but we bought it from a dealership and just found out that the guy that owned it before us towed a boat. I have had tons of problems. It has 130,000 miles and the check engine light, and maintenance lights have both come on. The maintenance light won't go off because it says I need to do the "b" part of the oil change. It also has a 13 with it. I've done everything that the manual says, and still can't get this light off or figure out what this means. Help please. Also check engine light is on, went to O'reilys and they didn't give me the code, they just said that I needed a new catalytic converter. With this many miles? What do you think? Is there anything that I can do first, before jumping to conclusions? Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The B13 maintenance code indicates you're due for an oil change, a bunch of inspections, a tire rotation, and transmission and transfer case fluid changes. It sounds like you're expecting the system to figure out you've done the maintenance, but that's not the way it works - you always have to manually reset the system after the maintenance. The reset process is in the OM.

Sounds like the CEL code is something to do with emissions control system. It might be the cat, but it might be something a lot simpler like an O2 sensor. Either buy a reader (they're commonly available for $20 or so) or find another shop to read the code. If you report the code here, folks can steer you in the right direction about the most likely repair required.

Both the maintenance and the CEL are more/less par for the course for a car with 130K miles. I doubt either have squat to do with the boat towing. That being said,I would't put it past the dealer to have cleared the CEL just long enough for you to test drive the car and get it home - this sort of thing is done al the time. Certainly worth complaining to the dealer about and seeing if they are willing to chip in on the repair.

I have a 2006 also BTW. Extremely solid vehicle and assuming reasonable maintenance, 200K miles (and maybe many more) with good reliability is common.

Good luck,

- Mark

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Just to add markjenn's posting .. Depends on what state you are in ... for NY example ..if you purchased the pilot and now suddenly the check engine light comes on they are responsible for the repair since
you are required when purchasing the pilot (depending on the state ) to have it inspected. If you can't find the maintenance reset procedure hold down the button on the cluster you will see the oil start to flash
let go count to 10 and press and hold..the oil indicator will be 100% and the wrench icon will go away... BTW my 06 just hit 200k .. runs like the same day I bought it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts