Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $260 for a 9 speed fluid change and I understand the high fluid cost is part of that. I was also told I needed a new $20 drain plug, would not a crush washer do the trick? Now to do it right there should be 3 changes? to renew all the fluid. This is costly versus doing it at home. I reviewed one post suggesting a scan tool was necessary to insure a proper fill. However, were you to drain out the 4? quarts and put in the same amount, would this not be enough?
Thank you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure about the 9 speed tranny, nor do I understand how all Honda dealers actually perform the fluid change (i.e.: drain and refill, or use a machine to draw a vacuum). My dealer simply said they drain and refill, as do the "how to" directions I downloaded from Honda Service Express for my vehicle. I have a 2016 EX with a 6 speed and pretty much do it the way you are wondering about, only replacing the same amount that is drained. Once I hit 30K miles I started draining and refilling with each oil change. At 41,000 miles when the OLM generated an A13 code the Pilot was officially due for a ATF fluid change. I've only replace the crush washer. Unless the drain plug is stripped, the magnetic end is broken, or the bold head rounded badly the bolts do not normally need changing.

Here is a post in the forum's maintenance section showing how a couple of us guys did it. Mine is post #5. DIY Third Gen 6-Speed ATF drain and Fill

I use this same approach on my son's 2012 CRV, and by the time we did the 3rd drain and refill, the drained fluid was noticeably cleaner than the dirty fluid from the previous 2 changes. The magnetic bolt was also fairly clean.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
360 Posts
I'm not sure about the 9 speed tranny, nor do I understand how all Honda dealers actually perform the fluid change (i.e.: drain and refill, or use a machine to draw a vacuum). My dealer simply said they drain and refill, as do the "how to" directions I downloaded from Honda Service Express for my vehicle. I have a 2016 EX with a 6 speed and pretty much do it the way you are wondering about, only replacing the same amount that is drained. Once I hit 30K miles I started draining and refilling with each oil change. At 41,000 miles when the OLM generated an A13 code the Pilot was officially due for a ATF fluid change. I've only replace the crush washer. Unless the drain plug is stripped, the magnetic end is broken, or the bold head rounded badly the bolts do not normally need changing.

Here is a post in the forum's maintenance section showing how a couple of us guys did it. Mine is post #5. DIY Third Gen 6-Speed ATF drain and Fill

I use this same approach on my son's 2012 CRV, and by the time we did the 3rd drain and refill, the drained fluid was noticeably cleaner than the dirty fluid from the previous 2 changes. The magnetic bolt was also fairly clean.
2hondas2- Did you do three drain/fills in a short time running or driving a couple miles between or 3 separate times once at each of 3 oil changes? (i.e 30k, 40k, 50k or whatever oil change interval is).

Did you also look at the external tranny filter to change it? My son's '04 CRV started leaking at filter as it was rusting through. I'd like to see how hard it is to swap for a Magnefine in place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2hondas2- Did you do three drain/fills in a short time running or driving a couple miles between or 3 separate times once at each of 3 oil changes? (i.e 30k, 40k, 50k or whatever oil change interval is).

Did you also look at the external tranny filter to change it? My son's '04 CRV started leaking at filter as it was rusting through. I'd like to see how hard it is to swap for a Magnefine in place.

No, no short time drain/refills for us. My son puts so few miles on that car (its 7 years old with only 45K miles total) we only change the oil once a year. So the 3 ATF changes occurred over 3 years each time the oil was changed. Dido for my Pilot. I did a drain/refill with that ATF fluid with every oil change starting at 30K miles. After 3 drain/refills I'll probably skip coordinating with an oil filter change or two and then start the 3 change cycle over, regardless of what Honda's maintenance minder calls for. Have not bothered with the filter. If it were leaking however, I would replace it and double check the hose clamps for a secure, non-leaking connection. I owned a '01 Ford Escape once. That vehicle had a notoriously bad tranny. Changed that fluid every 30K even though Ford called for a change only every 150k. My nephew is still driving that car with in excess of 180K miles these days. So I am a believer in ATF changes in excess of what car manufacturers call for, but that's just me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts