Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot EX-L with RES
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While this is my first time posting on Piloteers, I have been a lurking her for the last three+ years since I picked-up a 2015 Pilot EX-L with RES.

The short version:
After having the check engine light on for 1.5 weeks, I took it to Honda today, turned off the engine to remove my key, and when the attendant restarted the engine to check the mileage, the check engine light went out! Really??? Are you kidding me? After being on during multiple restarts, my troubleshooting, etc., and this is when it turns off!

The long version:
During a recent long distance drive, the engine light came-on, but I did not notice any differences in performance, gas mileage. As I was almost home, I completed the drive and immediately plugged in my diagnostics tools to get the error code (P3400). A quick Internet search showed threads here at Piloteers, YouTube, as well as other sites. The first two potential causes, low oil and a bad oil-pressure sensor.

My research showed that if the oil is truly low, then the computer typically reports two codes at the same time, one for each of the two oil-pressure sensors, located on the front and back of the engine. As a result, low oil pressure was probably not the issue. Nonetheless, it was time for an oil change anyway. No change. I should note that the only driving differences I could see, feel, etc. were the ECO would not activate, regardless of speed. Additionally, the engine idled a little rough (not bad, but I know how it should sound/feel).

Next step was to replace the two oil-pressure sensors (Honda recommends replacing both at the same time - the back sensor was what the P3400 error code referenced). There are several good YouTube videos showing walkthroughs and specific Honda part numbers if you need any guidance. I checked with two local Honda dealers, then ordered the two sensors and associated o-rings from hondapartssales.com for just a bit more than the local Honda dealerships wanted for just one sensor. Honda recommends 16 pound feet (tightening) and they took 15 minutes to replace. Alas, the code was still present after replacing the two sensors, I could not clear the error, and it kept alarming every five minutes during the test drive.

Additional research showed some Honda Service Bulletins for 2012, 2013, etc. Pilots relating to rocker arms and springs, but not for my 2015. Decided to take it to Honda to diagnose this morning, turned off the engine to remove my key, and when the attendant restarted the engine to check the mileage, the check engine light went out! Really??? Are you kidding me? After being on during multiple restarts, my troubleshooting, etc., and this is when it turns off!

So here I sit, at the dealership, await their diagnosis. At a minimum, I am out $90.00 and my time.

UPDATE: According to the dealership, this particular code cannot typically be cleared by "hand scanners" and requires a more advanced diagnostics tool. The technician stated even his hand scanner will not clear it, so he had to use his laptop. That said, he ran through all of the software versions (I was current), error codes, pending codes, etc., but the Pilot's computer said all is well now. They also acknowledged, the Pilot's computer will clear this code, if the issue has been resolved and enough mileage and restarts have occurred (the technician did not give specifics here). Lastly, they acknowledged the things I did were what they would have done first and it was most likely the rear oil-pressure sensor that was the actual problem (causing the P3400 error). I guess I should have just waited longer for the Pilot's computer to clear the code...

Hopefully, this information will help others.

Scott C.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,618 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

1 - 2 of 2 Posts