Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 12 months ago I started seeing an emissions error warning. It would come and go and seemed to have no impact on drive quality. Went in (at 58k and under warranty) and the dealer said they couldn't find anything. Yesterday (66k and no longer under warranty) all of the following lights came on -- similar to others' experience:

- Traction stability assist
- Hill start assist
- Lane divergence assist
- Emissions issue from before
- Power steering system
- Vehicle stability assist
- All-wheel drive system

Along with the lights, a day later the idle became noticeably more "aggressive," shaking the car. Took it in this morning and learned that it was the fuel injector issue that others had reported.

The bad news: the fix was $2,100 and wasn't covered under warranty. I challenged that since I had the information from this message board that others had the experience of the Emissions warning being the precursor to the greater issue.

The (somewhat) good news: It seems as though Honda of America knows of the problem and is trying to do the right thing for customers when they are made aware of the issue. After I challenged and told them I was aware of the commonality of the issue the service manager called Honda and they offered to "cover" 80% of the repair expense. Knowing what I've learned about the frequency of the 'indicator error" of the emissions system, I feel like the entire repair should be covered since they missed it the first time around. But...I am pleased that they offered the 80%.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this issue as well for quite some time. After reading through this thread, the guy who said disconnecting the battery and reconnecting fixed it was right. This fixed my problem as well.
Thanks a bunch!! You saved me some $$ as I’m pretty sure the Honda dealership would have suggested fuel injector replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Honda Pilot Touring, 28k miles - all warning lights come on as others have noted (while on out of town trip a month ago). Performance slightly degraded, but not limp mode significant. Remote start and LKAS would not work. Referenced this thread (thanks to all of you!), and disconnected the battery. Everything re-set and the issue went away, temporarily. Yesterday (about 1 month and 1k miles later) the issue returned. It's now with the dealer. Will let you know outcome - expecting fuel injectors, sensors, software, spool valve, etc. based on others experiences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update to earlier post - Following diagnosis of misfire on one cylinder, dealer replaced full set of fuel injectors, and pipe set fuel joint. Fortunately under warranty, so unsure of cost, although it was 3.1 hours labor (incl diagnostics). Running smoothly, and no longer blinded by panel full of trouble lights (transmission shifting also seems improved). Will return with post if it re-occurs. A long-time multi-Honda owner, with 2006 Pilot w/200k miles, hoping this 2017 Pilot confirms loyalty is well-placed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
*** 2016 Pilot Touring, 51200 miles, idled for 4 months prior to a long trip on Thanksgiving week.
9 speed tranny gone through software update on 2017 due to rough shifting per customer's request (not TSB nor dealer).

Got the same issue while on a trip to Anaheim to Bay Area. First I noticed the fuel gas mileage to be performing much less satisfactory (22 MPG vs. 26 on the way going). So after a 6 hours trip almost home, I suddenly see the lights coming up:

Emission System Problem
Transmission System Problem
On top of that, we have the 'Keyless Start System Problem' going on for a few months but I thought it was the fob 😅

So I asked my wife to pull over on the CA-152 on the hillside, thinking cooling it down could take us home. Then 5 minutes later, things go haywire with all of the lights came up like Christmas light, with the whole nine-yards of system problem lights:
  • Traction stability assist
  • Hill start assist
  • Lane divergence assist
  • Emissions issue from before
  • Power steering system
  • Vehicle stability assist
  • All-wheel drive system
Then the shifting sounds very scary while into N will have abrupt motion and click. We called the extended warranty for the tow back to a dealership on that night.

Dealership on the second day:
"Sir, we flashed the transmission software will replace the Start/Stop button after it comes in. That should not get you stuck in the future."

So my question to the people who's gone through with the same thing, is the service advisor just trying to get me out of door quickly? All the messages indicated that there could be mechanical problems, yet responses to me was on the software should fix it. I am a software person, but still can't buy it like that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
*** 2016 Pilot Touring, 51200 miles, idled for 4 months prior to a long trip on Thanksgiving week.
9 speed tranny gone through software update on 2017 due to rough shifting per customer's request (not TSB nor dealer).

Got the same issue while on a trip to Anaheim to Bay Area. First I noticed the fuel gas mileage to be performing much less satisfactory (22 MPG vs. 26 on the way going). So after a 6 hours trip almost home, I suddenly see the lights coming up:

Emission System Problem
Transmission System Problem
On top of that, we have the 'Keyless Start System Problem' going on for a few months but I thought it was the fob 😅

So I asked my wife to pull over on the CA-152 on the hillside, thinking cooling it down could take us home. Then 5 minutes later, things go haywire with all of the lights came up like Christmas light, with the whole nine-yards of system problem lights:
  • Traction stability assist
  • Hill start assist
  • Lane divergence assist
  • Emissions issue from before
  • Power steering system
  • Vehicle stability assist
  • All-wheel drive system
Then the shifting sounds very scary while into N will have abrupt motion and click. We called the extended warranty for the tow back to a dealership on that night.

Dealership on the second day:
"Sir, we flashed the transmission software will replace the Start/Stop button after it comes in. That should not get you stuck in the future."

So my question to the people who's gone through with the same thing, is the service advisor just trying to get me out of door quickly? All the messages indicated that there could be mechanical problems, yet responses to me was on the software should fix it. I am a software person, but still can't buy it like that...
This happened to me 3 times. First time the service dept. reset the system. Second time they replaced the valves. Third time I traded it in for the 2020 Pilot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to my wife today. It is cold/snowy. It is a 17 pilot exl awd. 27k miles. Dashboard lit up like crazy. Car drove fine for a few miles. Restarts didn’t get rid of them. After reading this I disconnected the battery and that cleared up the lights. I cranked down on that battery nut though in case there was some metal shrinkage. Hope this works. Crazy this seems like such a common issue and also seems preventable if Honda engineering is up to par. Luckily this is a lease and I’ll be trading it in. Maybe Honda knows and fixed the issue on the 2020 model.
Any issues with any 18 or 19’s?

81 - 87 of 87 Posts