Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can’t blame the dealership for the fault as they didn’t make it however they keep telling me it’s fixed and it keeps happening again. It’s been 7 weeks with a $45,000.000 car and I’ve had it for 10 days. Had they just given me the 18 I’d have considered the issue addressed. Let’s not forget that they have sold my trade in and no doubt made money on it. The 1000 bucks was just greedy. They are going to end up paying that in lawyer fees.

Let’s see if the lawyer route motivates them.

No one buying a new car should have to deal with this type of crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found a FIX for mine

I had this same issues happen to me today. Having a background in computers, my fist instinct was to reboot the thing. This means disconnecting the battery in this case. I disconnected a battery terminal for 60 seconds and then reconnected it. Started the vehicle and let everything boot and cycle through its messages.

No more errors.

Now, as to the why this MAY have happened. When I was disconnecting the battery, I found that the terminal was loose. It wasn't flopping all over the place, but I could just pull it off by hand. The reasons this can happen is that the battery may have been installed on a hot summer day, and it is now cold where I live. This is not the first time this exact thing with battery terminals has happened to me. We all know shrinkage happens when things get cold. Since the sensor's power connects to the system via the ground terminal, if there is some loss of connection it could cause some momentary power surge and the computer could throw a fit.

Not saying this is the fix for everyone's problems, but it doesn't hurt to start with the simple things.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone confirmed a fix?

Has anyone confirmed a fix at this point? This just happened to my 2016 AWD pilot with 33k miles.. They took the fuel injector and software upgrade route - getting it back today. When this event happened there was no significant impact to the power or handling - it was just all the lights.. The Honda service dept seem a bit stumped, I am request a root cause analysis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same CMS, brake, steering shaking when turning on and off since March 2018. 5 trips to the dealer and they finally was able to reproduce it and and send the codes to Honda Corp. They ended up tightening some sensor screw behind the alternator. They said that fixed it, but we'll see. I believe the screw they tightened is called the "spool valve".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well after months of dealing with this Honda of America bought the car back from me. I dropped it off yesterday and got a check for everything I put into the car.

According to the dealership they believe the problem was accosiated with faulty sensors in the front bumper. Those were replaced and the car seemed to work fine. Too little too late as Honda of America agreed to buy the car back before they determined what the fault was.

A shame as I liked the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My turn to have this problem with my 2017 Elite. My wife went to start the car and got all these warning lights.. she wasn't going far and decided to drive it anyway and it drove just fine. I called the dealer and took it over there later and the guy doing the intake said that he sees this "every now and then". So they called me later and told me that the injectors might be clogged due to crappy gas or whatever and it's a service they recommend at 15k and since I was at 14k they said it was the first step in fixing the issue. It was $139 and they wanted to keep the car overnight to see if that cleared the issue. They called again this morning and said that it did NOT clear issue so they are replacing all the fuel injectors and are extremely confident that will resolve the issue.

I will battle with them over the $139 if they try to charge me. Obviously they were cleaning something that was faulty.. not sure why I would/should pay for that. The new injectors are still covered under warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's an update for those that have the same issue. They replaced the fuel injectors and I picked up the car yesterday and we'll see how it goes. The technician felt very confident this would fix the issue and I wouldn't have any more problems. He didn't have an explanation as to why this was needed after only 14k miles. They also still tried to charge me for the cleaning service but it took very little arm twisting to get them to drop that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this happen also. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot touring awd. Took to dealership and they want to replace fuel injectors for $1527.00. I have 69k miles so not covered under warranty. My dealer asked Honda for a goodwill repair. They came back with they will repair under warranty cost and pay for 80 percent of it. Luckily I’ll only have to pay couple hundred. Think I’ll trade for 2019 after this fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had this issue with our 16 Pilot Elite. On the highway, dash lit up like Christmas tree...many faults. The only code was a misfire, this apparently puts it into limp mode. I was able to disconnect the battery and reboot, as someone else mentioned. This worked. I bought a coil but never put it on. About a month later this happened again, same fix. I replaced the air filter, it was very dirty. This seemed to cure it, it has been many months without issue. So heads up, a simple misfire will ruin your day thanks to Honda's limp mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to share my experience with multiple warning lights. I have a 2017 Touring FWD with 28,000 miles and 6 different warning lights came on. Took it to the dealer Nov. 5 and it is still there. Was told that they are seeing a common problem with the injectors going bad. If they catch them in time they can do an upgrade to keep them from going bad, but in my case it was bam they all came on. 2 injectors need replacing, but they replace all, along with a one time use fuel line of some sort. Here is the problem, the fuel line has been on backorder for over 2 weeks. I can not get an answer as to why it is on backorder, or when the part will be shipped. I called the Honda Customer Service line and filed a complaint, but still waiting on the part. Good news is, warranty will cover it and I have a loaner, but frustrated at $40,000+ vehicle is in the shop, I am paying for something I can't drive, and when will this happen again. I will update my status when I know more. Just wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
16 year old daughter had the same issue last night driving on the highway. Pulled over because the car seemed to not "want to go". Drove the car home on the back roads. Will see how it does today. All the same lights as stated above.

-road departure mitigation system warning
-trailer stability assist warning
-hill start assist warning
-vehicle stability assist warning
-emissions system control warning

Once car sat for a little while, it ran ok, but lights continued to flash. I suppose we call the dealer to hook up to a reader.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back from service appointment for this same issue. I have had check engine light come on and go off a few times before 20,000 mi. It is at 31,000 now. I had already read all the posts on this forum concerning these symptoms. Knew about the TSB. Service manager told me it was the injectors. Had to order the parts and one of them is on backorder. I asked why it happened when the car has only 30,000 mi. He said " bad batch" and said there was no TSB, but had a customer with less miles on her Pilot go through this a week prior. Seriously, they think we are all idiots.

Also, for those folks who are outside of their warranty, you still may have rights under the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. If your problem started within your warranty and was not repaired satisfactorily. In my state, we also have an Express Implied Warranty law that protects us for longer than the 3/36,000. Your states may also have this. Check the website for your State Attorney General.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread and am not crazy.

About a 8 months ago my wife started seeing an emissions error warning. It would come and go depending on weather and gas. Seemed to have no effect on vehicle operation. Went in and the dealer said that the software needed to be updated. Didn't fix it. They tried to update the software. Didn't fix it. Then later a whole bunch of alarms came on and went back again. They replaced the catalytic converter under warranty. Didn't fix it. I believe my wife went in again and they couldn't fix it.

On Christmas, getting ready to drive 2 hours home while sitting idling in a driveway, the following error messages all popped up:
- Traction stability assist
- Hill start assist
- Lane divergence assist
- Emissions issue from before
- Power steering system
- Vehicle stability assist
- All wheel drive system

We were stuck in the middle of nowhere at night. The vehicle seemed fine so we drove home. Took it to the dealer the next day and they said they got a fuel injector warning and said it would be $1000+. I asked the service manager how the fuel injector would cause the all wheel drive system to fail and he said that Honda programs the vehicle like that on purpose. Also asked him why I had to pay for a problem that existed while the vehicle was under warranty and they were unable to fix, he said they had done everything right and each problem was a separate issue that they successfully solved. After a rather testy exchange, I pulled the vehicle.

Called Honda and they told me to go to a different dealer and described his answer as "nonsensical". Sure seems like an electronic issue. The dealership checking the codes reset everything and its been good for a day.

If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Extreme cold, multiple warning lights

My 2018 Pilot touring had multiple warning lights that simultaneously came on in extreme cold, between -20 and -30 F in Minnesota. The car started and drove normally. After two days and slightly warmer temps (10 above), the lights always stayed on. The following lights were on:

- road departure mitigation
- trailer stability assist
- hill start assist
- vehicle stability assist
- power steering system
- emmission system
- all wheel drive system

The Honda dealer diagnostics showed a cylinder 4 misfile due to the extreme cold, but no permanent engine problem. They reset the warning lights and they did not come back on. Once the lights come on, they stay on even if the initial provoking issues goes away on its own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened this week to my 2016 EX. Started with emissions light about a year ago. Would come on and go off. Took it in and nothing could be found. So couple days ago 4 lights came on at the same time. The next day the all were off so I didn’t think much about it. Yesterday they all came back on and noticed it was running rough. I called the dealer and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said I need the fuel injectors replaced. He said he’s replacing 8-10 over the past year for the 2016 Pilot. Here’s the problem... I called Honda America and they said they haven’t heard anything about this. My car has 77k mikes so it’s warranty is gone. They said they can’t help me and I’ll have to pay for the repairs. I’ve seen several people post that they have talked to Honda America about this problem. I know there is no recall at this time, but surly they keep a record of theses complaints. Was Honda America just jerking me around? Any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue. I am posting this in the hopes that the more people that come forward, the greater the chance that Honda recognizes it as a systemic issue and addresses it as a wider concern so we don't have to go through individual dealer shenanigans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Touring - Same thing happened

Wife was sitting in car line for school, all the warning lights came on.
She was able to drive home.
I went for a neighborhood drive and then the lights went off.

Called the dealer and they said to come in and let them "refresh" the radar software.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife’s 2016 touring had been at the dealership for 2+ weeks with these same issues. They had diagnosed the issue with the injectors and fuel rails, which were on order already. What took so long was diagnosing a failed powertrain control module. While the car is over 36k miles, Honda did cover all of the repairs, including diagnostics. We’ve had it back since Saturday, no issues so far. Interestingly, the issue did start out with the radar sensor needing cleaned (may have been an incedental finding to the rest, but that’s when everything started happening).

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a used 2016 - Pilot Touring - Wife fueled up the truck and all of sudden the emission light, transmission light and the blind spot light cam on and the car went into LIMP mode. WTF is going on?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts