Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: We hit 45k and the car had a D flashing and rough idle. We had it towed to Honda dealership in California where wife was at an event. This is 8 hours from home. They said issue was fuel injectors ( same code P0304). Replaced all of them for $1600 and told no guarantees this will not happen again. The dealership said this is known issue with design of this engine. Anyone know of class action against this known issue? Will update if lights come back on. Wife is driving it home as I type.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update #2: 400 miles after new fuel injectors same issues with the struggling car flashing D on the transmission. Back to another dealership as wife is still trying to make it home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honda Pilot 2016 AWD - Sensing @ 45K miles, showed multiple warning lights as a slide show... then after couple of restarts; went away... I was relieved - then couple of days later - "Emission System Problem" Popped up - the MPG halved and I took to the dealer. He mentioned they would charge $160 just to run diagnostics. I was like... "whatever!"

Just fix the damn thing! I just can't believe this is HONDA!!!! :(

Dealer took a day, fixed the issue - without any charge. Said the fuel injectors is the problem; it should not happen again. Mentioned that they will warranty the work for 3 years/36 miles..

Is this a good go for now OR should I just replace the car? Just don't want to go to a dealer especially when it is HONDA that touts so much on the engine and reliability!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had all the error lights turn on many times since I bought the 2016 Pilot. Last week, the dealership replaced my fuel injectors as there was a bulletin from Honda Canada. Hopefully this fixes the problem which usually happens after remote starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update#3: After a computer reset/update and $1600 in fuel injectors the Pilot has now passed 500 miles without the lights back on. I took it back in as the gas mileage has decreased from 29 highway to about 25 and was told nothing was wrong. I am frustrated and working with corporate Honda. So far they acknowledged the fuel injectors should not have failed so early and offered me $800 in Honda bucks. I didn’t update earlier as I was waiting to hear back from corporate. They have been nice. Still very frustrated. Any class action rumors yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesterday my wife was driving our 2016 AWD Touring (50,000 miles) when it shifted into neutral and made a couple of clicking sounds. It left her stranded in the middle of a busy feeder road with our 4 year old daughter in the back seat. It would not shift out of nuetral and they had to abandon the car. I have an extended warranty through Honda but as I understand it only will reimburse $100.00 for a tow. The tow cost was $200.00. I've not heard back from the dealer yet but after reading this thread I'm thinking about selling this Pilot. I can not have my family stranded on the road again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update#3: After a computer reset/update and $1600 in fuel injectors the Pilot has now passed 500 miles without the lights back on. I took it back in as the gas mileage has decreased from 29 highway to about 25 and was told nothing was wrong. I am frustrated and working with corporate Honda. So far they acknowledged the fuel injectors should not have failed so early and offered me $800 in Honda bucks. I didn’t update earlier as I was waiting to hear back from corporate. They have been nice. Still very frustrated. Any class action rumors yet?
An update on my 2016 pilot with this issue. Dealer said I needed to replace all fuel injectors at a cost of $1750. I am out of the warranty range but was able to negotiate to about $500 for everything to get taken care of. I haven't had any issues since, and have driven about 500 miles after the replacement injectors. However, my MPG is much lower now. Used to get about 25/26 and now down to 21. I also intermittently still hear a "poof" sound when I turn off the engine and I was hearing that when I had the issues. I'm not sold on the fuel injectors being replaced as the fix, and I am also unhappy with the gas mileage I have been getting. Not sure there is anything that can be done, but wanted to share the update.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just had the whole dashboard light up on my 2016 honda pilot, AGAIN.

This happened last month, and I took it to the Honda Dealership and they flashed the ECU and the lights disappeared.

Last week the emissions light came on,then disappeared after a couple days.

I truly think this is weather related because we've had some ups and downs in weather the past couple weeks (Boston, MA). Everytime these the dashboard lights up, it coincides with a drastic change temp, like ~20 degrees.

Honestly, am fed up with this car atm. I bought it used at 55K miles, and was absolutely in love with this car. I've always trusted Honda, but that trust is waning. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I don't want to pay $1800 to change fuel injectors if that doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will be taking my Pilot 2017 EX for the third time because of warning lights.
The first one came when I was making Left turns. On every turn all the light comes one by one. The dealership changed something in a sensor or the whole sensor. He tried explaining me but all i wanted a fix so did not pay attention.
After driving probably for a month the lights came back again, all of them one by one. Took ti again to the dealer and they changed Cruise control sensor. According to them, everything is connected in a series with cruise control and changing the cruise control should fix all of them.
Today as I was reverse parking my car I received all the warning lights back .

Sent an email to dealership. Will see what they will change now.

Anyone knows what happens in these kind of situations. Do i have to keep playing this game with the dealership till i have this car ? Does not make any sense as the car is under warranty but what happens after the warranty ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
2017 Elite and this happened with 550 miles on the clock. Dealer chaged out a “Module” (wife’s words) and gave it back. I was out of town while this happened. She drives it for about 4 days and I get back from out of town and take it for a spin. On the highway with 632 miles on it I get a bog in power and every warning light on the car comes on. I pull over and limp it to the exit. It goes into neutral by itself. I get it back into drive and limp it home at 30mph. It won’t change gear, AC doesn’t work, radio and rear camera don’t work etc...

Called Honda they will tow it tomorrow AM. I’ll update this when I find out more.

In my opinion they over complicate these cars unnecessarily. The fancy switches to shift the transmission is a recipe for disaster later on. It’s simply not necessary. Really serves no purpose other than adding potential things that can break/fail.

I went to Honda for a reason, this was not it. Let’s see how the dealer handles it for a second time. If they make good on it I have no problem, nothing is perfect however if it happens a again (3rd time) it’s lemon law discussion time.fingers crossed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this issue only happening with 2016 & 2017 models?

I just got my 2018 AWD EX-L and wondering if this issue has come up for this model?

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: car dropped off got a loaner. Was told I will not get it back until 100% fixed. Told them I wanted to drive the car for 2 weeks while my wife keeps the loaner. They agreed to that. Lastly if it happens again they have agreed to replace the car with a different one.

The wait begins

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update here.

Honda kept the car for 3 weeks. Said they updated all f the software and test drive it for a week. Called us and told us to pick it up. Wife gets there and 2miles from the place all the lights on the dash go on again and she limps the car back to the dealer.

We told them it’s a lemon and we want another car or our money back. Should find out Tuesday. Obviously they don’t know what the problem is. Just throwing fixes at it and hope that it works. Very upset on how they are handling this.

More to follow...

·
Registered
9 Posts
So got a call from Honda today after visiting them and demanding some answers. The salesman on the phone says we have no cars in the model like yours so we will give you an 18. You need to pay us another 1000 dollars for us to make it happen. I told them I didn’t want a 2018 just the car I paid for and I’m not paying any more out of my pocket. Their answer was sorry we can’t help you.

I can’t believe they expect me to be out of pocket due to their mistakes. Unreal. I’ve contacted a lawyer who says my case meets the Lemon Law criteria.

Don’t want a new car at this point, I just want my money back. They have lost a customer for life.

Not to mention they still don’t know what the problem is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, the freaking nerves!!! I commend you for not paying another grand to get an 18 model. I hope you get your money back that will go towards a more reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The lawyer has been hired. I will also contact the better business bureau after it has been sorted out.
I am still a little shocked that a Honda dealership would not recognize the risk of putting people in a car that shifts into neutral with no warning and every light on the dash turns on. It can easily contribute to an accident. It then goes into a limp mode of some sort and after stopping will only allow you to use 1st gear.

Too bad as I love the pilot. I guess they don’t value my business.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The lawyer has been hired. I will also contact the better business bureau after it has been sorted out.
I am still a little shocked that a Honda dealership would not recognize the risk of putting people in a car that shifts into neutral with no warning and every light on the dash turns on. It can easily contribute to an accident. It then goes into a limp mode of some sort and after stopping will only allow you to use 1st gear.

Too bad as I love the pilot. I guess they don’t value my business.
Unfortunately, I believe the dealership doesn't have control over safety issues. That responsibility solely goes to Honda. At the time, my low milage tacoma went on a limp mode which is similar to what you described with your Pilot. Tundra had similar problems as well. Fortunately for us Tacoma owners, the high numbers of documented complaints compelled Toyota to act. Toyota took care of the issue by replacing the part free of charge under warranty. Owners must pay labor only if warranty has expired. Toyota also extended the warranty on that specific part. I love our Pilot Touring and haven't had any issues approcgung 15k, knock on wood. Hope you get your money back.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts