Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Honda Pilot Touring. 42K miles.

Today the car failed to remote start at first. Went near the car and remote started again, the engine kicked up and promptly shut down.

Got in the car and started by clicking the start button. Engine started up but the dash became active with multiple symbols on and the information display scrolling with messages showing various systems malfunctioning (emissions, acc, tow, traction, power steering, etc.). Photo attached.

Called Honda dealer and their hypothesis is it could be an electrical problem and asked to come in Monday when their electrical guy is on site (today he is not in, and Sunday they are closed). They said it should be okay to drive the car (not sure if it drives, haven't tried that yet!).

Next, I hooked up my basic ODB2 reader. However, after scanning through various formats (as it does during initialization), it ended up with "Link Error!" message, and it didn't tell me any codes at all.

Anybody having similar issue? How was it resolved?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have been a lot similar posts on the forum. Many have been resolved by replacing the battery, even though it tested good. If your Pilot is 3 years old, the battery is most likely nearing 4 years old. Seems to be about the average life of the batteries. All this electrical high tech seems to depend on an excellent battery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your battery is original, first thing I would do is replace it.

If still getting errors, then have dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the battery (if bad) be replaced under HondaCare warranty by the dealer?

·
Registered
223 Posts
HondaCare does not cover battery or battery cables (except for nickel/metal hydride, lithium ion, and polymer lithium ion batteries used in hybrid vehicles).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the battery (if bad) be replaced under Honda
HondaCare does not cover battery or battery cables (except for nickel/metal hydride, lithium ion, and polymer lithium ion batteries used in hybrid vehicles).
Good to know. Thanks.
Worth getting the dealer to install OEM? Or just go get one from Costco and install myself?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh Costco for sure !!!!

Costco uses Interstate batteries (one of the best brands on the market) and if you need a replacement before the 42-month warranty is up, they will replace for FREE (no pro-rated BS hassle). Costco also has a great price for their highly rated batteries.

The auto department manager at our Costco told us that many customers turn in their battery a couple of months before the warranty, to get a free new battery. He said Costco doesn't care, since Interstate picks up the tab.

There's no other store / retailer that I know of, that gives a free battery even-swap as a warranty return.

Costco Wholesale provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser. This battery, when used in a passenger vehicle corresponding to or smaller than the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended size and capacity, is free of defects in material and workmanship. This limited warranty is effective for the battery’s designated warranty period, or for as long as it remains in the vehicle in which originally installed, whichever is shorter. The designated limited warranty period is indicated on the battery itself.
If there is a defect in material or workmanship (not merely the battery being discharged), this limited warranty provides that upon return of the battery to any Costco Wholesale warehouse, excluding Puerto Rico, the battery will be replaced or the purchase price refunded, excluding fees and taxes.

·
Administrator
15,580 Posts
DIY. Plenty of good deals out there.

Remove negative cable first then positive cable.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Costco for sure !!!!

Costco uses Interstate batteries (one of the best brands on the market) and if you need a replacement before the 42-month warranty is up, they will replace for FREE (no pro-rated BS hassle). Costco also has a great price for their highly rated batteries.

The auto department manager at our Costco told us that many customers turn in their battery a couple of months before the warranty, to get a free new battery. He said Costco doesn't care, since Interstate picks up the tab.

There's no other store / retailer that I know of, that gives a free battery even-swap as a warranty return.

Costco Wholesale provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser. This battery, when used in a passenger vehicle corresponding to or smaller than the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended size and capacity, is free of defects in material and workmanship. This limited warranty is effective for the battery’s designated warranty period, or for as long as it remains in the vehicle in which originally installed, whichever is shorter. The designated limited warranty period is indicated on the battery itself.
If there is a defect in material or workmanship (not merely the battery being discharged), this limited warranty provides that upon return of the battery to any Costco Wholesale warehouse, excluding Puerto Rico, the battery will be replaced or the purchase price refunded, excluding fees and taxes.
Will do. Thanks.

Will I lose all the settings in the vehicle once I disconnect the older battery? If yes, how does one prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't tell you on the 2019+, but we've replaced batteries on our prior Hondas and the station memory stayed. I just wouldn't keep the battery removed for several hours.

We did have to enter the radio code again (unknown if new Hondas have radio codes).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folks,
Took the car to dealer today and described the problem. The problem was still on going at that time. They were estimating long time to diagnose and advised I come tomorrow morning early. The service advisor said it might be the battery, they have been seeing this issue more lately. So I went my merry way with the plan of getting a battery from costco later.

On my drive from work to home, I realized that the issue had gone away! Everything was fine with the car

Got a battery from Costco anyway, ready to be swapped if this problem happens again.

So, with this development, is there anything that can be ruled out? Maybe the battery is good? The alternator is good?

·
Registered
223 Posts
When strange electronic issues start all at once and the car still seems to run as normal, the 1st thing I look at is the battery / cable / ground condition. Taking the battery to a local parts store and having them check it under load (usually for free), can save lots of $$$ at a dealer / local shop.

It's amazing what low voltage does to a car's computer and the resulting codes / warning lights that start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My remote start had the same problem, it would start and then immediately shut off. It happened that the engine light was on with some emissions problem and I was told that the car would not stay running if the engine light was on. They fixed the problem which in turn fixed the remote start problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the car back from the dealer. They found that there was nothing wrong with the car, but its system had some misfire codes stored in it. They cleared the codes and want me to let them know of the problem resurfaces. They did not report any problems with the battery (but now that I think about it, they did not specifically state that they tested it).

That's is all I got to close this thread, folks. Thanks for all the insights and info!

Now I need to go return the battery to Costco that I never got to use :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious, why would you not replace the old battery with the newly purchased one?
Even if it is not the battery now it will probably be an issue in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main reason being that the dealer said (or reported) that no problem was seen with the battery, and second, looks like a replacement is not required yet.

But I do see your point (I would likely as the same question). I probably would have replaced the battery if they had not reported the misfire codes and reported that they couldn't see anything wrong at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The touring Pilots use an AGM battery which has much different characteristics that the older lead-acid batteries. Google AGM or Glass Mat batteries to learn about the differences. Great technology for cars with high power draw such as with engine restarts at traffic lights, but much trickier to understand when they are failing, and the typical first indications are electrical issues exactly like those you had. I have heard that you are on borrowed time after three years with the original battery. Make sure you have an AGM replacement battery - the alternators are different for AGM vs non-AGM cars. Also, the current thinking is not to install an AGM battery in a car that does not need one - the charging tolerances are different. I changed my battery a couple of months ago and COSTCO did not have the AGM for the Pilot then. I went with AutoZone - pricey, but great warranty also.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The touring Pilots use an AGM battery which has much different characteristics that the older lead-acid batteries. Google AGM or Glass Mat batteries to learn about the differences. ....... I changed my battery a couple of months ago and COSTCO did not have the AGM for the Pilot then. I went with AutoZone - pricey, but great warranty also.
That is good to know. Despite not knowing the differences or what AGM meant, I was particular about the battery I bought from Costco (I had noticed that the installed OEM battery had AGM written on it). One location gave me battery for the Pilot but I noticed in time that it was not AGM. Had to go to another location to get the correct battery. It was more expensive and had more CCA (760 compared to 730 for nonAGM).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, the same issue happened again. Now it is a bit shy of 42K.

Took it to the dealer. They reported back that they have narrowed it down to fuel injectors and will be replacing them (under warranty, have Honda Care). They said the new injectors are "updated" ones from Honda and shouldn't have the problem the old ones encountered. They have experienced such complaints from other customers too, but say that it is not something Honda as given a recall for (maybe it is not common enough?!).

They also said the battery checked out fine.

Will update if I learn anything else new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey ya’ll. 2106 Pilot EXL 48810 miles.
Yesterday (Merry CHRISTMAS) I got into the Pilot and noticed MULTIPLE DASH WARNINGS: “Emission system problem, vehicle stability assist problem, hill start assist problem, trailer stability assist problem, power steering system problem”.

Wow, interested to hear if Honda Service has quoted anyone with a Service bulletin number (TSB)?
Any diagnostic codes indicated on your service report?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts