Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week on the highway I felt a stutter from the transmission, then a few miles later stalled out and the check engine light came on. I made it to where I was going but on my 35-mile trip home my 09 died a bunch of times, sometimes able to go about 8 miles, sometimes just 1 before stalling. A few times I felt the stutter before stalling. I also might have seen the VSA light pop on. The Pilot started up fine every time after the stall. I didn’t notice anything unusual before the stall except for the occasional stutter.

These are the slew of codes I got:
P062F Internal Control Module EEPROM Error
P060A Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance
C0300 Manufacturer control
C1555 Manufacturer control
C1555 Manufacturer control
C1526 Manufacturer control
P10C0 Manufacturer control
P29C1 Manufacturer control
C1521 Manufacturer control
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

I can figure the O2 Sensor Heater codes but not sure what to make of the other codes. I am due for ATF and transfer case fluid changes but my MM is still at 15%, and I’ve been fairly on time with my maintenance in the past. I hope I didn’t muck things by driving the 35 miles home. But what exactly caused me to stall out every time? And is this fix gonna cost big?

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shop replaced battery and on test drive he said it stalled and threw out 3 codes. Don’t know what the codes were. He cleaned wire connections and car had no codes after test drive. He also said I was low on oil and that could be a factor but I was about to change oil/filter since B13 MM code came up earlier. He suggested I add oil and drive it and see what happens. But while driving home the VSA light popped up and then stalled. Started right up but check engine and airbag lights came on. Stalled one more time on 2.2 mile drive home. I pulled codes P060A- PCM Internal Control Module Malfunction along with some of the previous Manufacture Control codes, but a new code popped up for P2610- (PCM) Ignition Off Internal Timer Malfunction. So are the PCM codes for P060A and P2610 my main problem? I also checked my oil and it barely registered on the dipstick, so is low oil the problem? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If you had no oil on the stick, then it might cause a stall if you lost oil pressure. Your oil light would come on.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't tell if the oil at the base of the dipstick was the oil level or just oil from rubbing against the fill neck when I inserted the dipstick. But no, oil pressure light didn't show and I don't think the codes indicated anything about oil. I think at my last 2 oil changes 3.5 qts drained so I was short maybe a quart each time. I'll have to be more careful with my oil level now. Never noticed a burned smell tho. I'll probably change the oil, reset the codes and see if they pop again.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had no oil on the stick, then it might cause a stall if you lost oil pressure. Your oil light would come on.
I just changed the oil and 3.5 qts drained, on par with past oil changes. It was a qt low but I was expecting like 2.5 qts to come out. So I don't think low oil is the cause of my problems. I'll reset codes and find out. I'll also drain/fill ATF another day.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So 2 mechanics couldn't fix problem. Today it's going to Honda. Hopefully they can diagnose and repair and not be astronomical.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So 2 mechanics couldn't fix problem. Today it's going to Honda. Hopefully they can diagnose and repair and not be astronomical.
Sorry we were not more help. Your codes are not simple. Hopefully the dealership proves it to be simple.

Reactions: pilot2009

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone interested or in a similar situation, looks like the problem stemmed from fake plugs. The plugs were installed 3 years ago before I knew about fakes on Amazon and ebay. I guess the CEL did not throw a code for misfiring because they were all misfiring. All plugs had a gap of about .077, about twice the spec. I should have pulled the plugs to inspect when I learned of fake parts. I compared the fakes and OEMs and could not tell the difference, even down to the packaging. Still strange that I had absolutely no symptoms at all prior, like it was operating at 100% or 0%.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
For anyone interested or in a similar situation, looks like the problem stemmed from fake plugs. The plugs were installed 3 years ago before I knew about fakes on Amazon and ebay. I guess the CEL did not throw a code for misfiring because they were all misfiring. All plugs had a gap of about .077, about twice the spec. I should have pulled the plugs to inspect when I learned of fake parts. I compared the fakes and OEMs and could not tell the difference, even down to the packaging. Still strange that I had absolutely no symptoms at all prior, like it was operating at 100% or 0%.
Can you post a photo of the fakes please?

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you post a photo of the fakes please?
I have all the old plugs but only took pics of 4-5-6 since I pulled those first. But they're all the same. Plug on right is genuine Honda that I purchased from the dealer. I also have the original plugs that I changed after 101,521 and looking back at those they're still in pretty decent shape.
Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Suspension part
Spark plug Coil spring Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive ignition part

·
Registered
13 Posts
So these are counterfeited NGKs? Have you let Amazon know they're selling fakes? How are you sure they're fake?

I just bought what I hope are Denso brand at Advanced Auto so will see how they do. Says on the box "Made in China with parts from Japan".

SunnyGL

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So these are counterfeited NGKs? Have you let Amazon know they're selling fakes? How are you sure they're fake?

I just bought what I hope are Denso brand at Advanced Auto so will see how they do. Says on the box "Made in China with parts from Japan".

SunnyGL
Plugs and packaging look very real but they only lasted 23K miles, so I'm pretty sure they're fakes. I got them thru ebay about 3 yrs ago but looks like the seller is gone or has changed name.
You should be fine with Advanced Auto or any of the major retail auto stores.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts