Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done some searching and if there is an existing thread on this, please point me in the right direction.

2017 Elite, 88k miles.

I had been getting intermittent Emissions Problem CEL, but goes off after a couple days. However, this morning, I started the car cold to go to work and the entire dash lit up with a ton of CELs. Here is a picture of what it looked like.
Speedometer Auto part Vehicle Car Odometer

Has anyone experienced this before? Everything was fine the day before and can’t imagine all these systems having problems at the exact same time. Car seemed to drive fine and just annoying that everything is lit up.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
It looks like you are going to need some new injectors. I'd take it to the dealership ASAP.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got an appointment with the dealer this afternoon. I’ll put up here what they found. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If multiple lights come on it's often a sign of a bad battery or other glitch. It's very unlikely that everything goes bad at once.

If you have the capability with an ECU scanner, I'd reset the codes and see if they come back.

Let us know what the dealer says. (y)

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, got it back from the dealer today. It appears you are on the right track @losiglow. The technician concluded it is spark plugs, coil packs, and wires. He said misfires on cylinders caused the system to lose its mind. Here are the following p-codes.

P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire
P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire
P0300 - multiple cylinder misfire

They cleared all the codes but couldn’t clear the dreaded Emissions Problem CEL that I have read can be linked to the fuel injectors.

I am waiting to see if the codes come back before I take the plunge in getting everything replaced. A battery would be cheaper than plugs, coil packs, and wires.

·
Registered
883 Posts
These cars don't have wires that need replacing. The coil packs or spark plugs don't use any type of "wires" that need replacing like the old spark plug wires! Hard to believe also that coil packs and spark plugs are defective already at 88000 miles.

Might not hurt to replace the plugs which call for replacement at about 105000 miles or so (MM Code 4 along with timing belt) or at 60000 miles under severe conditions including operating in high or low temps, or if towing.

From previous similar posts it appears to be faulty injectors causing the misfires and the CEL

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have known better when they said wires. Lol.
Yeah, I just wanted to let you all know what the tech said. I’m probably just going to take the plunge and replace the injectors and while I am in there, replace the plugs. I had a Volkswagen that had to have coil packs replaced at 100k and when they go bad they stop working altogether.

I asked the technician yesterday if it could be the fuel injectors and he looked at me like I was an idiot.

Honda has seemed to reduce the price of the injector sets and are $350 now. Much cheaper than they used to be.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Car seemed to drive fine and just annoying that everything is lit up.
Anyone have any thoughts?
You said that the car drove fine. I'm having difficulty accepting their diagnosis. Especially if the lights went back off. There is a known push button ignition switch problem that can cause your lights to come on. I had it happen in my 17 EX-L when I tapped the start button instead of holding it for 1 second.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I should have known better when they said wires. Lol.
Yeah, I just wanted to let you all know what the tech said. I’m probably just going to take the plunge and replace the injectors and while I am in there, replace the plugs. I had a Volkswagen that had to have coil packs replaced at 100k and when they go bad they stop working altogether.

I asked the technician yesterday if it could be the fuel injectors and he looked at me like I was an idiot.
I'd say the tech is an idiot.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You said that the car drove fine. I'm having difficulty accepting their diagnosis. Especially if the lights went back off. There is a known push button ignition switch problem that can cause your lights to come on. I had it happen in my 17 EX-L when I tapped the start button instead of holding it for 1 second.
Hey, that is possible as well. Good to know of that issue. Will Keep that I’m mind and look into that further.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts