Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the install directions, they reference using a short phillips head screwdriver for the bottom screw.

Has anyone had trouble getting in to this tight space and had a successful install w/o taking the wheel off?

I have made one attempt and thought I would ask before I go back out into the hot humid Minnesota summer....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just jack the car up slightly and you don't have to take the tire off but if gives you much more room to work with!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed them without jacking up the car. I used my phillips head bit from my drill and used a wrench to turn it. It took a bit longer, but I didn't want to hassle with getting the jack out. (I know...it probably would have been good practice to get used to the jack, but I work better under pressure...so I wanted to save that learning until I'm on the side of the highway:D )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all,

I managed to pre-drive the bottom screw in the dimple before attempting to put the mudflap/splashguard on and that worked fine. Overall and easy install and well worth it!!

Everyone should have this accessory. $35.00 from Dealership.

·
Registered
152 Posts
giffrox said:
Thanks all,

I managed to pre-drive the bottom screw in the dimple before attempting to put the mudflap/splashguard on and that worked fine. Overall and easy install and well worth it!!

Should have used a finishing nail and saved yourself some work. Trying to use the screw itself can be pretty tough.

·
Registered
226 Posts
use a drill

I used a drill for the bottom screw. I think the instruction should have said to use a small drill bit and drill to make a small hole, trying to screw thru the plastic was almost impossible. Probably because I did it with out removing the wheel, I just jacked it up a little bit.
It does look very nice for only $35, well worth it. It will help keep the car clean as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
giffrox said:
Thanks all,

$35? Maybe if you don't get ripped off like I did from Honda Cars of Rock Hill, in Rock Hill, SC.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I have big hands etc, so it was so much easier just to jack the car up and gain the extra clearance. Then I just started the bottom dimple with the screw before placing the mud flaps on the car. Plus it gave me an opportunity to check out the jack equipment. I like they way the did the jack point, very solid, so you don't mess up the body of the Pilot.

I agree the Mud flaps will probably be the single most purchased accessories of them all.

Joe

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just installed it, did what most of you did (predrill, philips bit with wrench) but I had a bear of a time getting the top screw to catch, so I looked at the clip and fliped it over so that the front of the clip is what the screw catches. I recommed this for future installers as the screw is kinda short and may not catch the clip if its reversed. Looks great and I agree, everyone should do this, or even better, Honda should make it stock.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Top screw

The top outside screw should be replaced with a longer one that comes with the kit.
No way is this screw too short.

I found a very short screw driver at sears that made the job a no brainer. It is basicaly a knureled wheel that hold a standard 1/4" hext screw driver bit.
99C, so I bought three.

·
Registered
509 Posts
norb said:
Looks great and I agree, everyone should do this, or even better, Honda should make it stock.
I've always had the Honda splash guards (or as I think they used to be called "stone deflectors") - on my '94 Civic EX, and now on my '98 Accord EX-V6, and love the look and function of them.

What I don't understand on the Pilot is that the front splash guards come standard, but you have to purchase the rear splash guards separately. I assume this has something to do with the Pilot operating in primarily front wheel drive mode, and protecting the paint on the sides of the vehicle. But the cost would have obviously been minimal to include the rear guards as standard too. I don't think it looks right with just the front guards and no rear guards.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ordered the guards, can't wait to get them. I'm getting a lot of splash up on the rear of the vehicle. It's a shame they couldn't include these for the price. They're making a bundle on this vehicle, given the demand.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Flaps

Honda's always been tight about including flaps as standard. Seems to me some of my earlier Hondas didn't even come with floor mats standard, though, so perhaps progress is being made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the Rear Splash Guards and am very happy with the look, the functionality, and the ease of installation. Thanks to all the previous posts; the information was very useful and made a straightforward installation process even simpler.

I recommend removing the tire completely; it makes the install go so much more smoothly (read the owners manual carefully and follow all instructions). In fact you can turn the removal of the tire into an educational experience for the spouse, significant other, and/or kids. The joy of changing a tire! I installed the locking wheel lugs on the rear at the same time.

On the subject of the splash guards being standard equipment. I felt the same way when we first took delivery of the Pilot. I'd still like for them to be standard. However, I performed an unscientific survey (used by eyeball while driving around and walking around parking lots) and found that the majority of the non-Honda SUV's do not have rear splash guards. My assumption is that most manufacturers do not offer them as standard equipment. THAT'S MY ASSUMPTION BASED ON VISUAL SIGHTINGS. I COULD BE MISTAKEN.

In closing, I love the rear splash guards. We've also purchased the locking wheel nuts, rear cargo cover, rubber floor mats, cargo tray and SS touch-up paint (which we hope never to use). We'd like to get the auto rearview mirror next.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
481 Posts
VTM4

"THAT'S MY ASSUMPTION BASED ON VISUAL SIGHTINGS. I COULD BE MISTAKEN."

why are you shouting? are the floor mats worth it? how'd that cargo cover go in? easy?

·
Registered
592 Posts
rentua said:
Try a product called the "Skewdriver". It's the easiest way to install Mudguards without removing the wheels.
Care to expand on the product 'skewdriver'

·
Registered
919 Posts
Actually, my Bosch 18v cordless with a flexible bit driver attachment made pretty quick work of it too!

Chris

·
Registered
481 Posts
put those flaps on, they work nicely. I used a bent-screwdriver available at sears to put the lower outside screw in place. worked fine. used a stubby screwdriver for the other two without a problem. no wheel removal needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts