Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was surfing around the web last night and found this below.

The viscosity index of 222 is insanely good!

Doesn't look like it's sold much outside of Europe as I was trying to find it in the US for sale. Perhaps, it could be ordered from some online store and be shipped internationally. I'll checkout a few places selling it online and email/ask if they ship internationally.

Does anyone know of another type of fully synthetic or 100% synthetic PSF formulated for Honda?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Where's @Nail Grease when you need him?

Looks like it would be fine, I don't know much about power steering systems and how sensitive they are to fluids... I'd imagine viscosity affects steering effort but does the fluid affect things like return to center and feedback and other items?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the MSDS info. it seems like this is more of a semi-synthetic. They don't specify what the base oil is so, I'd be on the safe side and say it's probably group III (group III isn't bad and is still super good highly refined dino oil that doesn't perform that much worse than a group 5 when it has wear additives) or lower oil. I looked it up and hydrogenated Decene is a group 5 PAO so, that's good so, at minimum I'd assume it's at least 25% synthetic up to 50%. Hopefully, much closer to the 50% area.

Attachments

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Where's @Nail Grease when you need him?

Looks like it would be fine, I don't know much about power steering systems and how sensitive they are to fluids... I'd imagine viscosity affects steering effort but does the fluid affect things like return to center and feedback and other items?
I'd never put anything in my PS system except Genuine Honda. It's just not problematic. My 245k mile Crosstour has had the PS fluid flushed out with new fluid 3 times in 8 years. Never a problem.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd never put anything in my PS system except Genuine Honda. It's just not problematic. My 245k mile Crosstour has had the PS fluid flushed out with new fluid 3 times in 8 years. Never a problem.
I feel safe straying from the Honda OEM PSF as long as its specifically formulated for Hondas as MPM and Lubegard are. I agree too that as long as you're flushing your PSF with OEM you'll still be fine and dandy for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hummm, from Lubegard product website "LUBEGARD® COMPLETE™ Synthetic Power Steering Fluid for Honda & Acura was engineered specifically for 2007 and up applications that call for a fully synthetic power steering fluid. " so, sounds like to the OEM is synthetic??

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
12,299 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I took the leap on the LubeGaurd PSF specifically for Honda Acura vehicles, part # 24242. I have to say that the steering is smoother. Highly recommend. Now as for those Japanese wire clamps 🤦‍♂️. Really Honda? Must be left over WWII surplus in an old Zero factory or something. Ridiculous clamp on a modern vehicle.

No need trying to tighten these. They just cut deeper into the rubber.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I took the leap on the LubeGaurd PSF specifically for Honda Acura vehicles, part # 24242. I have to say that the steering is smoother. Highly recommend. Now as for those Japanese wire clamps 🤦‍♂️. Really Honda? Must be left over WWII surplus in an old Zero factory or something. Ridiculous clamp on a modern vehicle.
View attachment 152184 View attachment 152185
No need trying to tighten these. They just cut deeper into the rubber.
Is that from a Pilot?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Is that from a Pilot?
It on my high milage 2012 V6 Crosstour. It's a little different configuration on the hoses. Same wire clamps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts