Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

381 - 400 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guys,

my car is at 816 miles, when i bought the car, it has full tank with 384x gas mile on it. i pumped 2x times and each time it said 384x gas miles..that being said..384 x 3 = 1152 miles total.. but how come my car milage is at 816?

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey guys,

my car is at 816 miles, when i bought the car, it has full tank with 384x gas mile on it. i pumped 2x times and each time it said 384x gas miles..that being said..384 x 3 = 1152 miles total.. but how come my car milage is at 816?
I'm assuming the 384 miles you are referring to is the range, or estimated miles to empty. That range is calculated using the average mpg. Since your car is new, it doesn't have your personal mpg to use for calculation so Honda probably programmed it so it uses the combined mpg rating for our Pilot. I have 5,000 miles and my last tank showed 340 miles range since my commute is all local and I average around 17 mpg.

384 isn't accurate to your driving yet, plus I don't know about you but I don't drive my Pilot until the range shows 0. So if you left 50 miles each tank, with 3 refills that's 150 miles you need to subtract from your calculation of 384 x 3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
About 4800 miles on our 19 Touring AWD. We just took a trip from the Berkshires to Rochester, NY and back around 500 miles total averaging mid 80'son the Interstate and we got around 21.5 MPG for the trip. That stretch has a lot of hilly sections and where we live is quite hilly and that really kills the mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
20-24 mpg driving in heavy traffic with 80% 0-30 mph.
30-35 mpg driving on highways at 60 mph.
Both calculated by the ECU. I haven't tested the actual fuel consumption yet, as my experience from Honda's calculations are pretty spot on.

I would say the anyone getting as low as 12 mpg must have a serious issue. To get below 20 I would have to really try to use more fuel than necessary.

We have pretty good quality fuel in Sweden, which may be why I get so good figures compared to most of you here though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm watching this closely as I just bought a 2018 Touring model with 3,300 miles on it and hopingto get 22-23 or better combined mileage -- but I'll plan on using my Ecoboost too and am wondering if any of you who are reporting MPG figures here are, or are not, using Ecoboost. Comments??? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on your "new" pilot! The term Ecoboost belongs to Ford and it refers to the their turbo boosted engines. Honda has an Econ button, which is what I'm assuming you meant, that alters the ECM to help raise MPG.

Even using the Econ button, I'm averaging 17-18 mostly city driving with lots of stop lights and I live on a hill. It's not bad in my opinion since my commute is only 4 miles each way so the engine barely has time to warm up before I arrive. I have the 2017 EX-L.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Econ bad for city ? I haven't changed it since I rolled off the lot in 2017 in my EX-L and have consistently gotten 20 in city and 27 highway. A far cry from my 2007 EX-L where I was lucky to get 16.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't believe Econ is bad for city driving, I want to say that it really is just my daily commute. 4 miles, 15 traffic lights, and 400 ft change in elevation. I can get 27 mpg on the freeway as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did a 1200 mile round trip from DC to Kentucky. Averaged 24.7 on my trip calculator, 24.1 using my gas receipts and miles driven. It wasn't bad, most of the time it stayed in 9th gear, but crossing the Appalachians I definitely felt I spent a lot of time in 7th and 8th gears. I set adaptive cruise control at 78. Definitely impressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No difference so far with Eco button

Just got a 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD. Ran down first full tank and went almost 400 miles (didn't run it down to zero remaining). Just finishing a second tankful with Economy mode engaged. I'm seeing no difference in total miles on a tankful between the two modes. Anyone seeing this or know why?

·
Registered
23 Posts
2019 EX-L with approx 6k miles on it. Econ mode is a dud for me, in town or on the highway, I average better mileage without. Last road trip from Eureka, California to LA, California computer showed 30.3 mpg average. Even losing 8 to 10% (if one assumes the computer inflates mpg numbers), I still averaged around 27mpg. Average highway speed between 65-70 mph, some city driving mixed in...around town, 21-22mpg on computer, still averages around 18 after margin of error. I'm pretty happy with those numbers. I would have definitely opted for a hybrid had Honda offered one though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just two months or so into my "new" 2018 Touring Pilot and am amazed at (1) how the car's own mileage computer differs with my own (very basic) math to calculate my mileage -- and of course the car tells me I'm getting about 3 more MPGs than my own math is telling me. And. (2), how the reports on this forum from many users are also all over the board with their mileage reports -- as well as how the Econ mode seems to work for some and not at all for others. How can all this data be so inconsistent and all over the place????

Aside from this, and thinking I'd be getting at least 2-3 actual MPGs better than I do, I'm loving this car....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm just two months or so into my "new" 2018 Touring Pilot and am amazed at (1) how the car's own mileage computer differs with my own (very basic) math to calculate my mileage -- and of course the car tells me I'm getting about 3 more MPGs than my own math is telling me. And. (2), how the reports on this forum from many users are also all over the board with their mileage reports -- as well as how the Econ mode seems to work for some and not at all for others. How can all this data be so inconsistent and all over the place????

Aside from this, and thinking I'd be getting at least 2-3 actual MPGs better than I do, I'm loving this car....
the general consensus is that the mileage computer in the car is generous. and usually 2-3 mpg less than actual. and people have proven this by doing their own calculation

and unfortunately it seems like this vehicle varies a lot on mpg based on driver habits. also keep in mind the 2wd vs awd

it still get good mpg for this size of a vehicle compared to others in its class. i was just wishing it didnt require to put much effort and watching my style of driving to achieve it. i know there are many cars where epa is under so when you are purposely trying to get the best mpg, you get a lot more and you are very pleased, so when you arent even trying you get the actual rated mpg. the pilot is not like that. you purposely have to try to get that mpg or you wont most of the time. throttle pressure, econ or not etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my case, I drive 650 miles per week, 80% of which is at 72-73 mph on an interstate, 17% at roughly 60 mph on a state highway, and about 3% locally. I check my mpg at every fill which is every three round trips of 130 miles each. Here in NJ, they switch over to an oxygenated fuel from November to April, at which point I only get about 22 mpg. When they switch over to the"summer formula" in April, it goes up to about 23.5-24.5 mpg.

The car's mpg calculator is very generous, as it will show that I am getting about 26.5 - 27.5 mpg. I wish.

·
Registered
399 Posts
In my case, I drive 650 miles per week, 80% of which is at 72-73 mph on an interstate, 17% at roughly 60 mph on a state highway, and about 3% locally. I check my mpg at every fill which is every three round trips of 130 miles each. Here in NJ, they switch over to an oxygenated fuel from November to April, at which point I only get about 22 mpg. When they switch over to the"summer formula" in April, it goes up to about 23.5-24.5 mpg.

The car's mpg calculator is very generous, as it will show that I am getting about 26.5 - 27.5 mpg. I wish.
is this with 2wd or awd?

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are so many differences in driving style, in how one calculates by hand, filling up the same amount (trusting that pumps really are that accurate) verses the computer in the vehicle...take it all with a grain of coarse salt..."your mileage may vary" is a pretty accurate statement. Personally, calculated by me or my car's computer, I'm happy I get the figures I do get considering the size and comfort of the 2019 EX-L AWD I drive. 6k miles now and reliably 21-23 city, 26-29 highway, never using econ mode, using cruise on highways when able, relatively mellow driving style.

381 - 400 of 413 Posts