Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

361 - 380 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Pilot Elite and only beginning to understand the 695 page Owners Manual! (WOW!)
I searched and found the Fuel Capacity is 19.5 gallons and the Dealer gave me a "full" tank.
The Range is reading 354 miles (?) The Owners Manual states that the Range is calculated based on the fuel economy of the most recent trips. (it had 100 miles on it and terrible gas mileage from short trips and idling).

What kind of Range can I expect? (hoping closer to the 450 mark) and can I reset this?
I had the same question after driving away from the dealer's lot.
On my next gas refuel, the range jumped up to around 420 miles, so don't panic about the 354 you got.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trip Computer Highly Inflated

2016 EXL Sensing (33k) took a trip from Knoxville to Cinncinnati and back same day. I-75 speed 75-80 mph

Going north Trip computer 28.8 mpg - actual 272 miles and I refilled 10.6 gallons actual MPG = 25.7

Going south trip computer 28.9 mpg - actual 372 miles (to chattanooga) and I refilled 14.3 gallons MPG = 26.0

So in summary my trip computer is about 3 mpg high but still happy with 26 when my 2003 never got 20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took a 400 mile trip today in our new 2018 Pilot FWD now has 1100 miles. This was all interstate driving, about 100 mountainous and 300 fairly level. Speed was about 75 mph with ECO all the way.

Trip computer- 400 miles, 29.1 mpg
Actual- 400/14.8 gals= 27.0 mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took a 2,700 mile road trip over a 10 day period, 5 passangers and tons of luggage in our 2017 EX, AWD and we got 26.9mpg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MPG update
Total miles. 10700
Average actual calculated MPG. 22.42
Car computer has overstated MPG 8.44% over the 10700 miles

2017 EX-L

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 EXL had 5000 miles. Just completed a ~1300 mile trip.
Detroit to Rochester MN - 28.5 calculated mpg. Eco mode with very light acceleration. Speed control set to 3-4 mph above posted, so generally 73-74 mph.
Roch to Detroit - 27.8 calculated mpg. Eco mode. Similar speed.

Trip computer always overestimates mpg and the error is not consistent.
MPG started to improve after at about 4-5K. Prior to then, 26+ calculated highway mpg.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MPG update after switching from 89 to 87

I recently switched over from 89 to 87 and after a full tank, I got an average of 16-17 mpg. This was a huge jump from my original 12-13mpg. My driving style and route hasn't changed at all and I was wondering if anyone else noticed a change in mpg after changing fuel grade. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I originally used 89 from Mobile and recently filled up with 87 from Shell. Mpg numbers are from the trip computer; I will calculate by hand in the future to confirm.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was getting around 18 to 19 from when I bought it until now. Now after the last 2 tanks Ive been getting around 16.4 to 16.9. Id say its because heat is on but I got it when it was cold so idk. Gonna keep and eye on it see If It changes. 2018 EXL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good mileage!

2016 Pilot EX-L with 50,300 miles. Just returned from an 8-day, 2,000 mile trip around the southeast. Overall, including Appalachians and almost all miles on the Interstates, a calculated 28.1 mpg. Computer indicated 30.4 mpg. Always drove at or very near the speed limit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Currently getting 21.9 mpg city.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MPG update
Total miles. 10700
Average actual calculated MPG. 22.42
Car computer has overstated MPG 8.44% over the 10700 miles

2017 EX-L
I'm pretty sure the car computer MPG does not take into account for fuel burned during idle, like when you're waiting at the light.

I get somewhere between 21-22 MPG in the city on the last 2 fills by measuring the gas I put in. The trip computer says "25.9 MPG".

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm pretty sure the car computer MPG does not take into account for fuel burned during idle, like when you're waiting at the light.
".[/ QUOTE]

My data for all gas fill ups show now effect for tanks that have more periods of “idling”. I have taken a number of trips with long drives between fillips and no significant difference in mpg overstatement from car computer.

I find it deceiving that Honda displays a better mpg number than actual with such a large error. It reminds me of an old joke. You know how get better mpg? Lie about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was getting around 18 to 19 from when I bought it until now. Now after the last 2 tanks Ive been getting around 16.4 to 16.9. Id say its because heat is on but I got it when it was cold so idk. Gonna keep and eye on it see If It changes. 2018 EXL
Generally, the "winter gas" mix at the stations, if this affects your area (does mine) lowers MPG a bunch, also, tire pressure is lower in cold weather, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only use Shell gasoline 87 octane, has 10% ethanol, getting terrible gas mileage from our 2019 Pilot Elite, < 13MPG, we have 1010 miles now and very disappointed. We took it into honda and they said MPG varies and it is low but likely because of driving habits and such. However, testing another pilot on the same roads lead to 21MPG. Furthermore, the onboard computer calculation is spot on when we compare with the gallons added during refueling.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not sure what to tell you, M3the01. We use mostly Shell 87 octane in ours too. It's either that or a Midwest brand. (Casey's) Mileage is very comparable using both.

95% of our driving is Interstate @ 78-80 mph, with a bit of 2 lane driving @ 62-65 mph. On I-80 (rolling hills) we typically average 22-25 mpg and on I29, (mostly flat land) we average around 25-28 mpg. Bucking head winds or cross winds compared to tail winds can make 3-5 mpg difference (or more...) Most of our two lane driving averages around 25-27 mpg. That also varies with the amount of hills and wind conditions. The best we've ever gotten on the Interstate was just under 32 mpg. That was 225 miles on I80 with 25 miles of two lane thrown into the mix. It was the only time I've ever used E15 fuel and we had a 25-30 mph tailwind. The best I've ever gotten on a short trip driving on 2 lane highway was just under 35 mpg. It was a 140 mile round trip @ 63 mph. These MPGs are based on actual fuel used. Our computer seems to be about 5% optimistic, but gets more accurate, the hotter it gets. Figure that one out...:confused:

I can tell you our Pilot does not like cold weather. It gets much better fuel economy in warm weather. The hotter it gets the better our mileage gets. :smile:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I’m getting under 16 on my 2018 EXL lately. thats on the computer. I stopped bothering doing the actual because i don’t wanna see the number! I did was out the wheels to 20 inch black Honda with cooper tires. Maybe thats making the difference. I’m sure winter isnt helping but this still really low. Its gotten as low as 12mpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
UPDATE

2017 EX-L AWD Pilot
20350.2 Miles
896.9 Gallons of Regular
22.69 Calculated MPG
$2,104.13 Fuel Cost
7.57% the amount Car Computer overstated MPG average

Driving a mix of Rural 2 lane and freeway. Less than 10% stop and go city.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am getting about 22-23 calculated on my 2019 exl awd in suburban driving. It’s been going up as the weather has become warmer. I’m in eco mode almost all the time and I drive it pretty conservatively.

361 - 380 of 413 Posts