Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

If possible, can ya'll chime in on what MPG you are getting? I know there are a lot of factors that can influence it, but just curious. I currently have a 2013 EX-L, and my gas mileage is horrible. Wife drives 80% local, (not with a heavy foot) which I understand will result in lower readings, but I think 12.6 is pretty bad. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new Touring, but just want to see how fuel economy is on the new model. I guess I would prefer to hear readings on local commuters with a 2WD, but I'll take all the input I can get. Thanks in advance for all and any info that you guys can give me!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Pilots don't sip! New Pilot 20 city 27 highway.:29:

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just finished our first full tank which was 99% city driving with the exception of a 26 mile trip to a relatives house and my average was 21mpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Meh so far on half a tank and all city driving. Getting about 17mpg and on my EXL 2WD. Didn't realize Econ was bad for city driving. The last 50 miles I have the econ off and it went up 1mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not hoping for a crazy bump in fuel economy jumping into a 16, but I am just hoping that there will be some kind of improvement from my current model which I feel is a little low.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
I am not hoping for a crazy bump in fuel economy jumping into a 16, but I am just hoping that there will be some kind of improvement from my current model which I feel is a little low.
If you go by the EPA ratings, you'll gain 1 or 2 mpg by trading for a 6 or 9-speed 2016 model. That's roughly a 5-10% decrease in fuel consumption relative to your 2013. How much will that save you in fuel costs? Based upon the difference in price to get a 2016 model, how long will it take before you break even?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Bought a 2016 AWD EX-L last week. Have about 400 mi on it so far. Of the 400, approx 80% are highway miles. Averaging 25 mpg overall.
Wow, that's sounds impressive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just did a 1200 mile trip with an AWD touring. Had to fill up three times after starting off with a full tank.

The trip computer had the following averages each time I filled up:
- 26 on the first tank...mostly driving 60-70mph
- 21 on the second tank...doing 80mph in Kansas with a huge crosswind
- 26 on the third tank...averaging 70-75mph with no more crosswing
- 29 on the current tank...averaging 50-65mph due to all the construction on the highway

So, if you stick to 70mph you should average 26-27. If you get it up to 80mph it will drop to 24-25...less of you're going against the wind. If you drive 50-60 then you can probably squeeze out 30mpg average.

Also, keep in mind, we had two adults and two teenagers, plus all of our luggage for a three week trip. If you're driving alone, expect better results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 3 tanks of gas(EX, 2WD, Florida, 50/50 city/hwy, using air conditioning and Econ mode), I've averaged 24 mpg.....calculated by dividing total mileage by actual gallons used at fill up.
However, the Pilot's mpg computer has averaged 26.2, about 8% higher than actual.
For those of you that have posted mileage, are you doing the math or just reading it off your display?

-Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
After 3 tanks of gas(EX, 2WD, Florida, 50/50 city/hwy, using air conditioning and Econ mode), I've averaged 24 mpg.....calculated by dividing total mileage by actual gallons used at fill up.
However, the Pilot's mpg computer has averaged 26.2, about 8% higher than actual.
For those of you that have posted mileage, are you doing the math or just reading it off your display?

-Thanks
I sure hope people are only quoting hand calculated MPG's.....the trip computer lies. Always has.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you think that the Honda manipulates the software to give the impression that the Pilot is getting better gas millage than it really is?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Do you think that the Honda manipulates the software to give the impression that the Pilot is getting better gas millage than it really is?
i take it with a grain of salt, just not honda but every vehicle I've owned. I like to just look at the amount of gas that goes in and how much mileage i'm getting. I'm am definitely sure that the computer is spot on and it's more accurate than I am, but i need to know in my head it's right!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know you guys say the in car gauge is not accurate, but that is not my experience. The first summer I had the truck I compared the in car meter to a GPS app that I had to hand key the fuel amounts. They were always within .1 MPG of each other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have only been doing combo driving so far. Back and forth to work which includes HWY and City roads. I am getting about 21MPG. This weekend I will be doing a road trip so I will be interested to see what I get on the HWY when I can use cruise control and ECON.

1 - 20 of 413 Posts