Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat is about 2900LBs I'm getting about 11.5-13mpg on the highway. Is this about what all other people towing are getting? When not towing a mix of city and hwy I get about 17.9 to 18.5mpg. Have not been able to break over 20 yet but Have not taken any longs trips w/o towing the boat. I think in an all hwy trip I should get a good 22mpg.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
DaCarMan said:
My boat is about 2900LBs I'm getting about 11.5-13mpg on the highway. Is this about what all other people towing are getting? When not towing a mix of city and hwy I get about 17.9 to 18.5mpg. Have not been able to break over 20 yet but Have not taken any longs trips w/o towing the boat. I think in an all hwy trip I should get a good 22mpg.
never towed but the best I got on all highway trip was 24.5 mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just towed a SeaPro 195 F/S, about 2800# plus aluminum trailer, 3 passengers with lots of luggage (a week at the beach.) Mostly 60-65 MPH:
11.1 MPG

I then dropped off the boat, took some of the luggage out, and the next day drove the same people another 230 miles. Mostly 65-70 MPH:
24.45 MPG

I tried to fill the tanks completely each time, but I suppose the mileage could be a little off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tomp,
I guess I'm on par with you.
I have a Triton FS18 about same size as your boat.
Do you also find that the on and off the ramp drinks the most gas on your trips? I find that the Pilot drinks much less gas on the way there than on the way back, large enough diference to notice>

·
Registered
22 Posts
DaCarMan said:
I find that the Pilot drinks much less gas on the way there than on the way back, large enough diference to notice>
Actually, that's easily explained. It's uphill coming back! Last week was the first time I towed with the Pilot. On the way down I used D3 more and mileage was even less.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When towing about 1700 lbs of snowmobiles and trailer last winter my Pilot got about 16 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. When not towing I get about 24 mpg at 70 mph. The snowmobile trailer has a salt shield but is not really aerodynamic at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got back from a weekend trip towing a +- 3,000lbs travel trailer. Got 13mpg on the highway @ 55-60mph, AC on all the time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We're going to be towing, also (getting a pop-up camper).

The type of mpg difference people are observing.....is this a normal range for other types of tow vehicles too? Anyone with experience towing with something other than a Pilot?

·
Registered
288 Posts
JungleJim said:
We're going to be towing, also (getting a pop-up camper).

The type of mpg difference people are observing.....is this a normal range for other types of tow vehicles too? Anyone with experience towing with something other than a Pilot?
My parents '96 Chevy Tahoe w/ 3.73 rear gets about 10-12 mpg when towing, but that truck only gets 17 mpg in the best case scenario on the highway and 13-15 mpg around town when not towing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was towing a 3500 lb trailer with 5 people in it and with premium fuel I only got 10 mpg at about 62 miles. Then got 7.8 mpg with regular fuel. I couldn't believe the awful fuel economy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We towed a 3000# Scamp Trailer (16 feet) 3,100 miles to the gulf and back and bucking
many head winds the whole way....dropping down to D3 often...and I finally had to
stop using/looking at the mpg gauge. Seeing the drop down to the 11 mpg zone was painful. (not to mention the 16 tanks of gas for the whole trip).
But once un hooked...on the flats of Florida...we zoomed back up to the mid 20's. At one point....the current mpg gauge said we were getting 27.4 mpg for about an hour. I was jubilant! Then we hooked up and brought it back down to the teens again.
The real *itch was having to drive freeway speeds of 65 to 70 mph. That blew thru the gas and did feel the difference with a blessing of a tail wind.
Not using cruise control kept it from dropping to higher RPMs more too. Glad we don't tow that often and rationalize the temporary power/gas issues. ....as temporary.
I wondered the whole trip...what a wedge shaped device on top of the Pilot (the whole length) would have done to stop the wind drag of the trailer. It is what it is I guess. Pushing against the wind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We hauled a starcraft 10 popup camper (GVWR 2800) and a Thule cartop carrier of 3000 miles over the flatlands of North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, and New York and got about 18 mpg on the state roads where we could do 55 with our 2013 Pilot. on the interstates we only got about 15 mpg.

Looking to move to an ultralight (single axle) hybrid (gvwr 3500 pounds) in the future, and estimate a bit of a hit but still hoping to make those longer journeys

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't towed with the Pilot yet but I used to get about 11 mpg with my Ridgeline when I towed a tandem axle trailer for my son's Boy Scout troop.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
We towed a Jayco 17 EXP with our 2003.
We normally got 17 around town, 23 to 24 on the highway (behaving) , and 21 to 22 highway the way I normal drive. (As a reference).

With the trailer we got 13 or so keeping it under 58, and 10 to 11 when we got much over 60 (like 61-62)

·
Registered
73 Posts
We tow a 16' 3,500 lb. travel trailer and get 12 -15 averaging 62 mph. I haven't done any long trips without the trailer but figure around 23-23 on the highway and 18 around town.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get 11 mpg towing a 3500 lbs travel trailer, 22 mpg not towing. (Both according to the car.) I also got 11 mpg towing the same trailer with the Sienna that preceded the Pilot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just towed a hardsided jacyo pop up camper from chicago to Utah and back. We have a 2015 Pilot all wheel drive with factor tow package. The camper weighed about 2300 lbs including gear, and we averaged 19 mpg and averaged about 65mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts