Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have disabled your VCM. Have you figured just how much of a hit to your highway mpg has occured? Next time you go on the interstate at 75mph +- a few, reset your trip odometer once you get up to speed and see what your computer says after you have gone at least 20/30 miles or more. On my 2017, I am getting around 30.2 on the computer, 28.3 calculated by me after filling up. I have not disabled my VCM. 68000 miles on my odometer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those of you who have disabled your VCM. Have you figured just how much of a hit to your highway mpg has occured? Next time you go on the interstate at 75mph +- a few, reset your trip odometer once you get up to speed and see what your computer says after you have gone at least 20/30 miles or more. On my 2017, I am getting around 30.2 on the computer, 28.3 calculated by me after filling up. I have not disabled my VCM. 68000 miles on my odometer.
I’m currently on a trip down the east coast. With a luggage packed pilot we are averaging 29.2 with the green happy tree on, with it off it’s averaged 28.3 (more on the hills of the trip compared to the 29.2 in the Carolinas.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
FWD or AWD is always a factor. Please mention that in your reports.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm guessing that the OP has a FWD. But that is another factor in the MPG equation.
Oh I am glad you mentioned that. My 17 is a awd ex-l with 38k, original owner with all fluids changed with Honda fluids before recommended. I’m trying to get more mpg, got 22.5 with the medium Thule Honda box on the roof and 6 people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2017 is FWD and no roof rack, new Michelin Defender tires and was not using my air conditioning for the above post.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hard to tell really with or without VCM disabled. Prior to disabling VCM I could get around 400 miles per tank +/- 20 miles or so. With VCM disabled, it seems to be about the same distance so really can’t tell much difference. But, the ride quality is a lot better, no more shuttering at hwy speeds when the torque converter was activatIng. Awd ex-l, 87 octane.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
and was not using my air conditioning for the above post.
Ah, no AC. That's not happening where I live. Was in the 90s yesterday. 🥵

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
For those of you who have disabled your VCM. Have you figured just how much of a hit to your highway mpg has occured?
Milage concern versus what disabling the VCM does, prolonging the life of the engine and transmission, it's not even a factor for using or not using a VCM disabling device.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Wow, those are GOOD #'s!
When we take a Hwy trip in the 15 LX 4WD this summer, I'll look at the display, and divide the miles by distance since fill up. I hope I get these #'s!

Both Pilots we own are SVCM'd.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even when I was stock, I don't think I ever hit 29mpg except for on one Vegas to CA trip, I think I was usually 24-26mpg on freeway trips. Sheesh you don't want to know my numbers with a roof basket, lift, taller tires that are 2lb heavier.

That said, With and without the S-VCM module, it really has not effected my mileage in a measurable way. Not enough to notice and in some situations, I might have seen a gain because my driving habits changed. I used to drive in sport but now I tend to leave it in drive because I now realized the delay I felt in drive was probably the VCM enabling/disabling.

Edit: I want to add the display always seems optimistic on mpg vs calculated mpg by about 1-1.5mpg more than actual.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
I just got a new Pilot last week and my SVCM arrived today. We've only been through one tank of gas but the average was 24mpg. Won't have much to compare but I guess once it's installed if I never break 24mpg again I'll know why.

I can say I've had the VCM delete on my Accord for about three years now. I lost about 0.8-1.2mpg after installing it. But it was well worth it, really changed how the car drove for the better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts