Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Automotive design

Hey guys ,will This average of 15mpg get better ? Already 300 miles and still the same since I drove it off the lot . When do you think I will get to the advertised “21 combined “?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
First the guesstimate you have posted is worthless for any accurate measurement. If you are not personally calculating the by hand then you don't really know what your MPG is.

Secondly and most importantly is that your driving style/habits is probably the most important, baring actual mechanical issues, methods of either increasing or killing your MPG.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
So much for the Econ button.
But ya, I wouldn't say the engine is quite broke in yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
MPG from instrument is too optimistic. My real MPG is about 1.5 to 2 LESS than instrument reading. If yours shows 15, I'd guess real MPG is in 13-14 range.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Black Edition
17 Posts
I have mine to reset Trip A after a fuel up. I also have Trip B reset on ignition.

Yesterday, I was able to get 25.6 mpg (Trip B) with mixed city and highway driving. No Econ and Auto Start/Stop disabled. Normal driving for me, didn't really punch it or drive too slow. I'm at 800 miles, 2021 Black Edition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have mine to reset Trip A after a fuel up. I also have Trip B reset on ignition.

Yesterday, I was able to get 25.6 mpg (Trip B) with mixed city and highway driving. No Econ and Auto Start/Stop disabled. Normal driving for me, didn't really punch it or drive too slow. I'm at 800 miles, 2021 Black Edition.
Did you had a similar average like mine’s on the first tank ?

·
Registered
21 SE awd in ssm
13 Posts
i an going to try and keep b at lifetime mpg in other words never reset mine. but accidents happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are doing a lot of stop and go driving and/or idling for long periods of time, I can see where your MPG could be that low. Elevation change can also have a detrimental effect as well. Our lifetime is probably 21-22 mpg for a front wheel drive 2016 EX-L using E10 top tier gas almost exclusively. I have never personally seen more than 28 mpg for a self calculated tank. Self calculated is more accurate as the Pilot’s computer calculates high by 1 mpg where my Insight calculates 1-2 mpg low.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
First tank is completely valueless as a barometer of mpg. Any cars instant mpg reading will scare the dickens out if you from a cold start, full ac etc for at least the firsr few miles.
I’m constantly amazed on any car in the family fleet how the range changes as you drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First tank is completely valueless as a barometer of mpg. Any cars instant mpg reading will scare the dickens out if you from a cold start, full ac etc for at least the firsr few miles.
I’m constantly amazed on any car in the family fleet how the range changes as you drive.
Well here is the thing , it has never changed since I drove it out of the lot with 5 miles on it , i just started my second tank and it’s still showing at 15 mpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Try visiting the Hypermilers website......they'll teach you how to drive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just did my first longer highway trip 122 miles each way. Slightly hilly in parts with some slower sections and lights for small towns. Holding 70+ where I could I was getting 22-24MPG according to the car. Some in town trips I'll get 23MPG and then 18MPG for the same trip. I think a lot depends on conditions, driving style, A/C on/off, number of lights hit green.

I've got a little over 3K on the car now. VMC disabled. And coming from an 06 where parts were starting to wear out and really liking the increase in MPG.

Side note: the trip was to visit my dad. Took him out for dinner and pulling into a parking spot, I guess the car didn't think I was breaking hard enough. The dummy system took over and stoped us dead in our tracks. Kinda miffed it did that, plenty of room between cars. But also glad that should it be needed the system seems to work.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Black Edition
17 Posts
Did you had a similar average like mine’s on the first tank ?
During my first tank, the car was idling alot as I was playing around with different features and settings. I live below sea level so no a lot of hills here.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Well here is the thing , it has never changed since I drove it out of the lot with 5 miles on it , i just started my second tank and it’s still showing at 15 mpg
So tell us about your usage, distance driven, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the vehicle was really getting 15.4 mpg, you’d be walking by now but you still have a 1/4 tank remaining. At 304 miles and 78 miles of range remaining, means your vehicle is getting ~ 20 mpg. What does the B trip meter show? There is a vehicle setting that will reset the trip meter automatically at fill up. You can also reset manually. When reset, the trip meter should show AVG MPG since the last reset. Initially the AVG MPG should indicate — and then climb quickly as you begin to drive after resetting the trip meter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your mileage will get better. It usually takes 3,000 to 4,000 miles on a car to get better mileage. My job required a lot of travel and I have driven many cars over the years. I have driven over 750,000 miles. My 2016 Pilot with 48,000 miles will get 19 mpg in town and 28 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX FWD with 71000 miles on it now. I often do a 35 mile I-95 run at around 75mph. When not using my A/C, the Pilots mpg calculator regularly says I get 31-33mpg. According to my own calculations that reading is about 2.5mpg too high. But I am happy with getting 28.5 to 30.5 actual mpg. I am sure a fair amount of the time during those drives I am only running on 3 cylinders as I use cruise control when I can. If there is a fair amount of traffic I get even better mpg because of the drafting effect of following the vehicle in front of me. One time the Pilots computer said 35mpg. I don't use Idle Stop/Start or a VCM disabler. Knock on wood.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts