Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks. I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L w/Navi on order at a local dealer. However, I have one problem: I want an MP3 player, and the Pilot appears to be one of a slim few Honda vehicles without an MP3 player available.

Aftermarket it is, then, and they've even got some guys who will install it before it leaves the lot (it's worth a bit of money to me to not risk damaging my brand-spanking-new vehicle with a clumsy install). But now I've got to figure out what it is I want. From a search of these forums, it seems my best (only?) option is an Alpine CHA-S634.

Y'see, I'd like, if at all possible, to retain the steering-wheel controls. Unless I'm mistaken, that means an aftermarket player jury-rigged to the factory face with one of those Blitz converters. So, that's what I've figured out so far. On to the questions:

- Are there any other options of player or face that will retain the steering wheel controls?
- How well does the factory face work with an MP3-compatible changer? Doesn't it "freak out" when suddenly faced with a CD with hundreds of songs? Or am I misunderstanding the interface?
- What sort of visual display is on the factory face? How does this work with the changer?
- What effects does the Navi system have on the CD player? Does the player use the navi screen for output/input?
- How does the changer handle MP3 CDs? Do they all need to be in the same directory? If not, what happens when I hit "forward?" Does it count every MP3 on the disc as being sequential tracks on a CD?

As you can see, I'm a bit confused. I appreciate any advice y'all could provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi mwoody,

Here's a couple of threads in case you missed them in your search.

Thead#1
Thread#2

To answer your questions directly:
- How well does the factory face work with an MP3-compatible changer? Doesn't it "freak out" when suddenly faced with a CD with hundreds of songs? Or am I misunderstanding the interface?

The face only displays the disc number and song number. It will only show to digits so song #120 will look the same as song #20

- What sort of visual display is on the factory face? How does this work with the changer?

see above

- How does the changer handle MP3 CDs? Do they all need to be in the same directory? If not, what happens when I hit "forward?" Does it count every MP3 on the disc as being sequential tracks on a CD?

They do not need to be in the same directory. However, you cannot navigate by directory. When you hit forward, it sequentially goes through each song on the disc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you considered a portable player? I have a 20GB Nomad Jukebox which I can use to take about 3500 songs with me wherever I go. You can connect it to the factory stereo with either a cassette adapter, FM modulator, or blitzsafe adapter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Phat Box

Look at:
www.phatnoise.com
Thinking about getting one for my car. They are looking for people to test it in the Pilot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses. To answer your question, acheslow, I do have an Archos 20Gb player, but just hooking that up to the stereo directly would bypass the steering audio controls, which I'd like to keep functional.

That Phatbox looks really cool, but it says on their site (I think - kind of difficult to navigate) that it doesn't work with the Pilot w/Navi. Don't really know why that'd be, as the changer would be mounted under the seat anyway, so I sent an e-mail to their support to ask for clarification.

If the PhatBox doesn't work, I'll probably go with the alpine. The minor annoyances I'd encounter dealing with a "blind" mp3 player are still better than the annoyances of dealing with audio CDs that only hold 15-20 songs. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts