Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neo Car Jukebox MP3 Player
Size of a Car CD Changer but holds over 800 CD's!

Main
Specification
Pictures
Video clip of Neo
Try Neo for yourself (Flash required)
DESCRIPTION

The Neo Car Jukebox unit is a hard-drive based MP3 player. You can copy all of your CD's and MP3 files into the device and plug it into your car or home stereo. Just slide it in, slide it out. Files are easily transferred via a USB bay or PC bay that is installed into your computer. You simply slide the Neo Car Jukebox into your computer, transfer your songs, and slide it back out. Transfers are extremely fast as the device acts as another hard-drive connected to your computer. The Neo Car Jukebox will change your listening habits, as you can store and organize every song you own on one simple device.

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/index.shtml

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw this product on Tech TV. Basically, it has a computer hard drive that huge enough to store many MP3 files.

Can this product install into my pilot EX-L RES? It will be nice if someone has try it out.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Review

Neo Car Jukebox
www.ssiamerica.com

SSI puts a 30-gig harddrive in your car, and does it with style, with their latest MP3 head unit.
Neo Car Jukebox Specs

Price & Contact: $499; 877-901-9709, www.ssiamerica.com.
Max output level: 1 volt @ 0.13% THD+N
Max undistorted output: 1 volt @ 0.13% THD+N
Relative loudness: -17.8 dBu
Usable Dynamic Range: -96.7 dB
THD+N @ full output: 0.13 THD+N
Output impedance: 47 ohms
L-R channel error: 0.03 dB
Frequency response 20 Hz to 15 kHz: +0 dB, -0.2 dB

by Brian Smith

The Neo Car Jukebox is a high capacity MP3 storage and playback system. The system consists of a 30-gig EIDE hard drive capable of holding about 800 CDs, PC docking bay, vehicle-mounted docking bay with wired LCD remote, and all of the accessories that are needed to get into MP3 in a large way. Once installed into your PC, the Neo behaves just like another computer HD. This allows you to transfer MP3 files from practically any source including your own CD collection (conversion software is included). In the car, the Neo connects and functions much like a CD changer, albeit with substantially increased storage capacity.

Performance
I’ve been waiting for this one - RAM sticks are novel, and a CD with 10 times as many songs is pretty cool, but why not skip the middlemen and go with a car-mounted HD. The storage medium isn’t easily lost or damaged, access time should be quicker than a CD changer, and the capacity issue pretty much speaks for itself.

As with anything new to the car audio market, one of our biggest concerns revolves around how the unit in question will perform in the electrically noisy environment of an automobile. The preamp outputs on most first generation car audio products are generally what we like to call "trashy." This is the first MP3 unit that we’ve seen that’s a stand-alone piece, so we absolutely had to run a few tests on the preamp outs.

While maximum output voltage is rather low at about 1 volt, practically every other performance parameter looked surprisingly good. Source impedance, in particular, measured an impressively low 47 ohms. Otherwise, the Neo measured much the same as the typical CD head unit. Frequency response was the only measurement that gave us a problem; however, it’s the same problem that we’ve found when trying to measure any of the MP3 players that we’ve seen. I’ve yet to find an MP3 encoder that will pass a sine wave above about 15 kHz with the standard 128 kbps bit rate, so that’s where the response measurement ends. I’ve also done enough A/B comparisons to realize that 15 kHz-and-up isn’t just missing in MP3 music files, the perception-based data compression just seems to have a hard time with test signals. In the 20 Hz to 15 kHz range, the Neo is very flat, with about 0.2 dB of roll off at 15 kHz.

User Evaluation
This appears to be one of those kits that includes everything that you could possibly need for installation. The collection of hardware and wiring is extensive, there’s even an FM modulator for those without preamp inputs.

Using the Neo in a PC couldn’t be simpler; it works just like another HD in the Windows environment. If you’re familiar with HD installation, installing the unit into the PC should also be a snap.

In the car, the Neo’s user interface consists of a small, wired remote controller with an LCD display. While the interface is totally digital, it’s surprisingly easy to navigate. The buttons are very small, but there are only ten of them and the layout makes more sense than the typical head unit. A tiny wireless IR remote is also included and makes operation even easier.

Overall, I’m impressed. I figured someone would take the HD route sooner or later, but quite frankly, I wasn’t expecting the first unit to be this good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
l

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
PrG

You going to try this out in your Pilot? Who would do the install?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is another alternative... get an apple ipod... maybe the 20gb one... use the cell phone holder in the center console to hold it... then use a device similar to the one on this website: http://jeff.quartzcomm.com/bmw/e46mp3/

with this device you trick the factory HU into thinking the mp3 device (or aftermarket DVD) is a cd changer, isntead of using an fm modulator.

This results in much better sound quality rather than going through an fm modulator because it turns the cd changer input into an auxilliary input.

additionally the ipod is easier to use... less buttons... much more iintuitive... and syncs with your mp3 collection everytime you dock it with your computer... and since it is fire wire it is very very very fast at syncing.... and you can transfer it to different cars are hook it up to home stereo/ home office... or work out with it.

and it doubles as a portable hardrive.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's HU?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My car have the AUX input. I can just plug my portable MP3 player into the AUX.

:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mkell said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's HU?
HU = Head Unit, basically the radio in your dash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Second the ipod

They come for Windows as well as Mac, in three sizes (5g, 10g and 20g) and prices, and are just plain beautifully designed in every way from interface to sound quality. They are also developing the capability to serve as pda's or other sync'd devices, but since this is about audio. . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven't tried it yet, but I think the Honda head unit is compatible with Alpine CD M-Bus changers (a Honda-specific adapter may be necessary.) Alpine has a unit out that will play MP3s from a CD-R or CD-RW, I am wondering if the Honda head unit would recognize a disc that had 100+ songs on it? Though I would think the cd-changer could account for that when it sends the disc/track information to the head unit. I've seen the unit (Alpine CHM-S34 - I think) on E-Bay for about $320, maybe this is the better way to go? Anyone know the details? I would rather have a direct connect to the HU than an FM modulator, particular since the Pilot's sound system is pretty good (just a little too much distortion when blasted at top volume. The JBL in my '92 Ford is completely distortion free at full volume. :D )

- Gil
'03 EX-L Redrock
'92 Ford Taurus SHO Jewel Green

·
Registered
77 Posts
the device i am talking about makes the ipod or any other MP3 player a direct connect to the factory unit by tricking the cdchanger input into being an aux input for whatever device you have... wether it be MP3, satellite radio, or aftermarket DVD (BTW my aftermarket DVD also plays MP3 disc)

But the reason i dont like having MP3 on disc is because it is more of a hassle trying to navigate through the 100 or so songs... & every time you update your collection you have to reburn a disc.

ie you put all of rock on one disc... and seperated the disc already into album, artist, song... then a new album comes out... time to burn a new disc.

later down the line you cant fit your whole rock collection on one disc...then new artist and stuff comes out... now you have rock collection 1 and 2 with disc 2 being very small so far and haveing to switch between the 2 or 3 or 4 and navigating through it etc etc etc.

as far as playing MP3 i prefer the hardrive based ones with ipod being my number one choice because it is easy to sync your songs each time, and very easy to navigate.

other choices for in car MP3... there is a headunit that Rio sells... it used to be made by another company but basically it is a hardrive... but i think it is USB sync... since it has no radio or cd (you can add it) you can use that device that tricks the HU into having an aux in... plus since it is based on Linux OS, you can add other things like radio, navi, etc etc etc and is pretty easy to use as far as interface goes... but to sync it is a pullout unit and i believe it is USB so it takes kinda long to sync... but you can use it in the house as a stereo or in the office... but then you can do that with the ipod also.

Kenwood also makes a hardrive based one, the neo car jukebox, and also SOny makes a hardrive based one... but they are not as intuitive as ipod

·
Registered
173 Posts
mp3 jukebox

I have the Neo Jukebox & wonder if anyone knows of a way to hook it directly to the CD changer. Going through the FM seemes to muffle the sound. It sounds less crisp than the CD's. The idea is great, but I'm disappointed in the sound quality!

John
'03 Pilot EX-L with NAVI, redrock pearl
'02 Accord EXL

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you look at my previous post, there is a link that shows how someone wired the cd changer input to function as an auxillary input for the mp3 player.

click on the link, then he will have a link to the company he got it from... i think it is called peripheral.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I already bought & tried the devise stated in the post. When it didn't interface as I wanted I contacted the company. According to the Peripheral Co. I'd have to buy another CD changer. I am hoping to find a devise that will connect the jukebox & use the controls on the stock unit in the dash. I really don't like the sound going through FM, but I want to keep the intergration of the NAVI system with the exsisting sound system. So if there's any other suggestions I'd be thrilled to hear them!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
AUX Cable

jctatman,

Blitzsafe has designed an auxiliary cable which will allow you to use RCA Plugs and connect your Jukebox or XM Radio directly to the Pilot. The part # is HON-AUXB1. You can also add both an Alpine CD Changer and a Jukebox (or XM Radio) to the Pilot with a cable called the HON-ALP-DMX-BID CD-AUX. The power and grounds for each of these devices associated with the RCA Plugs must be hardwired to the battery, chassis though. Call Blitzsafe and they should be able to help you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
thanks. I'll try that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
SteveLuman

It worked !!!! I was allowed to order it directly from the company. They don't normally deal with individuals, just other companies. It arrived. It's in & I now have the use of the controls of the "head"!! It cleaned up the sound. I am a very happy camper!!:2:

Thanks again!!!:21:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Congrats

jctatman,

Congratulations!! Did they supply all of the leads, or did you have to hardwire to the power source?

How about posting some pics?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts