Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am moving to NYC (Bronx) from California for school. I am going to have to take my Pilot with me. I am afraid that new cars in NYC won't last long (please correct me if I am wrong) because of the weather, vandalism, bad traffic and so on..

Could anyone give me some of their experiences or suggestions on how to take good care of her in NYC area? Are there any dealers in NYC that are recommended?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well...?

All depends, Vandalism where? in the Bronx? Some parts are bad real bad, but also have some good ones. Vandalism is all over depends of the areas.

Driving very tuff but the worse part is when you are driving with NY, NJ combine explosive combination.

Parking lot banging on your doors is a good possibility, so that’s why always I look at the plate of the car next to my car

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
If you don't need it regularly, don't take it.
Expensive parking, decent mass transit.
Maybe you can find friend in NJ to garage it for weekend use.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
colousa said:
Well...?

All depends, Vandalism where? in the Bronx? Some parts are bad real bad, but also have some good ones. Vandalism is all over depends of the areas.

Driving very tuff but the worse part is when you are driving with NY, NJ combine explosive combination.

Parking lot banging on your doors is a good possibility, so that’s why always I look at the plate of the car next to my car
That's interesting, colousa--if I understand you correctly, you've found that drivers with NY or NJ tags have so much potential for causing door damage that you try to avoid parking next to them.

Hmmm....what does that say about NY/NJ drivers, as opposed to drivers from other states/cities? Or were you speaking of JUST NY (City) drivers?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
bjsub said:
Hi Friends,

I am moving to NYC (Bronx) from California for school. I am going to have to take my Pilot with me. I am afraid that new cars in NYC won't last long (please correct me if I am wrong) because of the weather, vandalism, bad traffic and so on..

Could anyone give me some of their experiences or suggestions on how to take good care of her in NYC area? Are there any dealers in NYC that are recommended?

Thanks a lot!
i been a lot in the NY and NJ areas....its pretty much like any other BIG metro. area around the world...some good areas some bad areas some really really good area some really really bad area....:2:

Driving is always a pain...public transport is real good (dirty though) and yes there are allegators in the subway tunnels:2: :2: :2:

your insurance rates will go up....

are you going to be close to yankee stadium??

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Good luck with your move bjsub! Hope you get to NY & find you don't have to worry about it too much. I suspect ANY large city would be the same increase in vandalism or carelessness. Let us know when you become a New Yorker! :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Vandalism should be the least of your worries. I have lived in the Miami area my entire life and have never had one thing happen to my car. Your biggest concern should be where you are going to store your car. Nobody I know who lives in NYC owns a car. There isn't a lot of room and if you find a garage to store it in it will cost you an arm and a leg. Traffic is very bad, it would probably take you longer to get in your car and drive somewhere than to take the subway. Potholes are bad too. Good luck w/ school!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm been in Miami 7 times and I can't make an, a priori statement like Alexandra did.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
bjsub said:
Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot!
Assuming that you have no choice but to take the Pilot with you, I'd recommend garaging it somewhere else other than NYC. As others have said, very few New Yorkers keep cars in the city.

The New Yorkers I know either take a cab or the subway to get around, which they say is much cheaper than paying to keep a car somewhere. Plus, they don't want the cost and aggravation of having to find parking at each destination in the city. (Not to mention navigating the NYC traffic, dodging potholes, and worrying about theft/damage.)

Finally, as someone else mentioned, the car insurance for keeping and driving a car in the big city--especially NYC--is astronomical.

Sorry to be another negative post on this issue, but I think you need to approach this realistically.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My job takes me to NYC every month and I'm sure glad that my Pilot doesn't have to be subjected to that kind of city driving/parking. My biggest concern would be where do you put it. Two weeks ago I watched a guy trying to park an H2 on 44th between 5th and 6th. Took him 10 minutes before giving up on a spot that may have been big enough for a Civic.

Sell it and take public transportation! Rent a car on the weekends if you need that type of transportation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys!!!

Wow, I am so thankful to get many replies. What a group of wonderful people!! Really appreciate it! ;)

I've spent all my time in California and never been to New York City since I immigrated to America. It's a bit hard for me to imagine going anywhere without cars... The reason I think my Pilot is better off going with me is that I am afraid the car's performance drops even greater when unused for a long time.

I am going to live on-campus; I've been told that they provide limited parking for dorm residents. I will do some research after I visit the campus ~~ Every piece of advice that I get from you is invaluable!!

Thanks again for your help :cool:

P.S. Parking is no problem for me since I spent all my under years practicing parking and erasing chalk marks.. :p

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Thank you guys!!!

bjsub said:
I've spent all my time in California and never been to New York City since I immigrated to America. It's a bit hard for me to imagine going anywhere without cars... The reason I think my Pilot is better off going with me is that I am afraid the car's performance drops even greater when unused for a long time.
The car will do fine in storage.
I would talk to some other students before deciding about taking the car.

It is likely to cost more and be much more of a pain than you think.
Find someone with experiance and chat about it.

Yes, it will feel weird without a car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to The Big Apple. My advice to you is try to use public
transportation if possible. On weekend, you can drive to upstate
New York or long island for fun. Do not try to drive to down town or
mid-town Manhattan if possible. Traffic is pretty bad during rush
hour. By the way, MTA just raise the fare on subway from $1.5
to $2.0 in New York City.

·
Registered
286 Posts
NYC

I was born in upstate NY. Now live in Houston. Have been to NYC a number of times, and never drove. I always used cabs, and I AM GLAD I DID. They are a bit scary but I wouldn't want to try driving with/against them as they WILL WIN!
I agree with the other post that if you are going to be in that college for 4 years, you would be much better off selling your PILOT, (snif snif), until you graduate. You will not need it or the added expense!!
Since I got my Pilot(s), I have been getting more excerise as I park as far away from everyone as I can and sometimes take up two parking spots on purpose! I always look for spots that are blocked on one side by a curb, wall or whatever, and then park as close to the blocked side as possible to avoid door dings. I also find myself checking when I come out to see if any accidents have happened..I have become kinda anal about that..I hate door dings !!!

:11: DOOR DINGERS

·
Registered
63 Posts
Funny how all responses were from...

non-NYC dwellers.

bjsub,

Bring your car to NYC--even to the Bronx. You will be much happier.

Cons
As for vandalism, it will happen just about everywhere. Most times, it will be someone you know -- jealous ex. But random acts of vandalism are rare and they are covered by insurance. Your premiums will not go up and all damages are repairable. (some may scream--but really the Pilot is only a car)

You will do some damage to the bumpers--everyone taps bumpers when parallel parking in the beginning. Potholes are a big problem! Keep your eyes open for the large craters.

Pros
New York city and state are beautiful. Wonderful lakes, rivers, and beaches (yeah, I said beaches--along Long Island and even parts of Coney Island in Brooklyn, surfing is ideal in the Rockaways). An hour drive in any direction yield exciting and historically enriched locations. Sure you can reach them using public transportation, but why deprive yourself of your Pilot.

I was born and raised in NYC and took it all for granted until I worked abroad. I've had opportunities to live in other states--but NYC is everything! Anything can be found here! I'm sure you can find a little bit of home here--whether it be CA or where you were born.

I love NYC and I'm sure you and your Pilot will too!!

As for the naysayers...people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. As if vandalism didnt exist anywhere else in the US.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Good very good ejpnyc

Again a priori statements from non-dwellers. Remember this is the capital of the world! Do not expect softness and kindness to successes this is a city for tough people, and also came with all tough driving, tough vandals tough every thing, so be prepare, be tough you survive in this city… man… you can do it in any part of the world.

Good luck, you will do it.
:9: :11:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
colousa said:
Good very good ejpnyc

, be tough you survive in this city… man… you can do it in any part of the world.

:9: :11:
sounds of senatra.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pilots in NYC

We live in NYC. If you most often drive in the heavily congested partsof the city, you will be in traffic, not going very fast and should use the severe duty maintenance schedule.

Vandalism and theft is pretty much a question of where you park the car. If you park in safe areas it is just like anywhere else. If you park in congested, areas and areas that have crime problems (No cheap shots- ALL of NYC is NOT a dangerous place at all- I can name plenty of other cities where you have much the same exposures)- You have some ability to stay safe or take chances.

I have been owning and driving cars in NYC since 1969. My cars have never been stolen. One Beetle's window was broken in 1969 and radio taken. That is it.

PS: MUCH but not all of the Bronx fits that higher risk category I mentioned above.

DRIVE defensively. Be assertive, but don't be aggressive. (HMM - - Defensive Assertiveness!!)

Expect parallel parking to be CLOSE. the high rear end of the Pilot may mean that you can damage other people's hoods because their bumpers will be a bit low next to you. Expect your bumpers to get scratched.

If you park in parking garages, expect door dings, they don't give you very wide parking lanes here.

Driving here (particularly in Manhattan) requires steady nerves and patience. Except for not being familiar with other places, I have always found it easier ANYWHERE ELSE (except for London.)

If you will live in the Bronx, You will probably want to use your car on weekends and to go shopping etc. Make sure you have safe overnight parking and you should be good to go.:2:

:1:

·
Registered
28 Posts
well said lou

take your pilot with you you will love new york, i was born and raised in manhattan. I now LIVE IN STATEN ISLAND. suburb 20 miles outside of the city many places to go and see.. i have been driven since 1979 like any other big city. if you use your better judgement on driven and parking your pilot will not get beat up. the bronx is not like manhattan.. trust the new yorkers you and your pilot will be fine.. what college will you be attending? FORDHAM best of luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys!!

Hi Brian125,

I will be attending SUNY Maritime. Its graduate program will get me started on a more stable career path. Have you heard anything about this school? I am not sure if I am going to pay a visit before attending, though... Life's tough, but I still have my Pilot~ ;)

Thanks again..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts