Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely bride’s RDX lease was close to being up, so while shopping for her a new RDX (the new one is really sweet) the sales person told us the incentives on the MDX were such we could get one for about what the RDXs were going for, with all the incentives. My bride loves the RDX, so she wasn’t budging on that. But my ears perked up. I drove the 2019 models and really liked them. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Pilot (my third). I gave two dealers an opportunity to earn the chance to get my wife’s new lease and sell me an MDX. The second dealer gave us an amazing deal on a 2020 RDX for her and a sweet 2020 MDX FWD w Tech for me. So while I’m sad to part with Lucille The Honda Pilot, she’s been replaced with the new Lucille, the Acura MDX. I’ll be hanging out with the good folks at MDXers, but will always be a Piloteer. The great advice I got here will always be appreciated.

The Pilot is a sweet ride. But the opp to move up to an MDX was just too great. I’m on a learning curve from a Pilot EXL to the MDX with the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist, but after 500 miles I’m enjoying her immensely.

Here’s a couple of pics of my new baby.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's just a Honda in a fancier dress! :LOL: Looks really nice and the interior is a step up from even my Elite for sure. Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Beautiful vehicle for sure. I hope you enjoy her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Looks good. Kinda makes me wonder if I should have looked at an MDX instead of going with a Pilot Elite.

But then again, nearest Acura dealer is well over an hour away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jcbama85

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. Kinda makes me wonder if I should have looked at an MDX instead of going with a Pilot Elite.

But then again, nearest Acura dealer is well over an hour away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That’s too far to be from a dealer unless necessary. I loved my three pilots. The Elite probably has most if not more bells and whistles of the MDX. They’re both awesome SUVs.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Always loved the looks of the MDX... enjoy!

Reactions: jcbama85

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did love the 6 speed in my EX-L. The ZF did concern me a bit, but the issues seem to have gotten better since the initial release. I still find myself looking for the shift lever to rest my hand on as I drove.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Coming from someone (me) that has owned a 2019 MDX Advance, 2019 Pilot Elite and a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance, I do miss the pilot. The additional 3 inches of head room and extra cargo is hard to pass up however one thing that annoys me the most that made me go back to MDX was there is no brake hold, like even the civic had brake hold.

The MDX advance has 360 camera, the LKAS works better or is better tuned and the car itself looks more refined. One major plus to the MDX is the headlights, while no one mentions it, the MDX headlights are actual projector headlights and are much brighter and crisp compared the the Pilot. If the pilot had the 360 camera and brake hold, I probably would have kept it. Those that don't need the space of the pilot, I would check out the MDX. As for the ZF transmission, they do clunk because of the dog clutch but the transmission valves have been redesigned for 2019.

If anyone have questions about comparisons, ask away.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coming from someone (me) that has owned a 2019 MDX Advance, 2019 Pilot Elite and a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance, I do miss the pilot. The additional 3 inches of head room and extra cargo is hard to pass up however one thing that annoys me the most that made me go back to MDX was there is no brake hold, like even the civic had brake hold.

The MDX advance has 360 camera, the LKAS works better or is better tuned and the car itself looks more refined. One major plus to the MDX is the headlights, while no one mentions it, the MDX headlights are actual projector headlights and are much brighter and crisp compared the the Pilot. If the pilot had the 360 camera and brake hold, I probably would have kept it. Those that don't need the space of the pilot, I would check out the MDX. As for the ZF transmission, they do clunk because of the dog clutch but the transmission valves have been redesigned for 2019.

If anyone have questions about comparisons, ask away.
Very good points. About 90% of the time it’s just my bride and me, or occasionally my grandson in the MDX. I suspect there will be times I miss the extra cargo space, but my son has a pickup, so it shouldn’t an issue.
They’re both amazing vehicles. In my case I like the upscale interior and overall looks better. I did a trip from Houston to Austin and back earlier this week and the ZF tranny seemed to do fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts