Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be moving to California in the coming months. I've gotten pretty attached to this 04 Pilot in the past year, especially after all the work I put into it to get it into great shape, and I'd really like to keep it, assuming I don't have a long commute in the land of insane gas prices. I'm finding conflicting information online about bringing an older, high-mileage car into California, and whether it will have to pass some sort of emission test or not.

Can someone enlighten me on what the rules are for moving to California and bringing this old vehicle with me?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
These old threads are not conclusive but check them out and the other old threads. When I ordered a new CAT a year ago there was a choice for either the 49 state CAT or CA or NY CAT if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These old threads are not conclusive but check them out and the other old threads. When I ordered a new CAT a year ago there was a choice for either the 49 state CAT or CA or NY CAT if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I found those but was hoping for more updated info since I'm guessing CA has implemented stricter environmental laws in the past 10 years. My cat seems to be fine, and I've never had a check engine light indicating any problems with my emissions so I think I'm good there, I just don't want to have to pay anything to upgrade my old Pilot to make it pass some sort of inspection, and would prefer not to buy a new vehicle just to be able to move to the state.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I might be moving to California in the coming months.
Not to pry nor thread crap but CA is a nice place to visit with great weather/earth shakes but there seems to be an ongoing population shift out of the state for various reasons. Regardless best wishes with your decision.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Guys, we're not helping here. :D Andy, if there are emissions tests in your state (PA, was it?), maybe take it to a discreet local tester and ask them to crank the settings up to CA.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
Andy: It’s quite a drive and I know that it’s a PIA according to friends to get the car registered in California. Hopefully your Pilot is in stock spec even to the cats.
salaries etc may sound higher than on the east coast but cost of living is way higher.
The only east coasters I know who have moved there and stayed were the college students. Adults tend to boomerang back after a few years.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Information online seems to indicate that your vehicle will have to pass a CA smog test.
You should probably find out what the limits would be for your '04 Pilot and have it tested locally before the move to see if it would pass.
If not, you might have to refit it with CARB compliant catalytic converters, which could be expensive.
Then you can decide if the cost will be worth it, or not.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
what is a smog test?
We have emissions tests where they plug the car in via OBD port and check for codes. They also check your fuel cap.
As long as you don’t have check engine lights or a bad fuel cap I THINK you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
FFS, I don't want to get political. But moving TO Cali?
You sure you're feeling allright? Where is Cali exactly?

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might be moving to California in the coming months. I've gotten pretty attached to this 04 Pilot in the past year, especially after all the work I put into it to get it into great shape, and I'd really like to keep it, assuming I don't have a long commute in the land of insane gas prices. I'm finding conflicting information online about bringing an older, high-mileage car into California, and whether it will have to pass some sort of emission test or not.

Can someone enlighten me on what the rules are for moving to California and bringing this old vehicle with me?
I have an o3 in California
I smog it every 2 years
If I were you I would keep it registered in the state your in if possible
I’m sure it’s less expensive

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
A couple people at my work have managed to register their out of state vehicle in California, so it’s possible. One of the vehicles was an older Acura around the same age as your Pilot.

Get ready for sticker shock if you end up moving out here.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I knew when I posted this question that I'd get lots of opinions telling me not to move there. I've been applying to jobs all over the country for the past 2 years and haven't had any success yet. I'm a woman and mid-level engineer and am looking for somewhere where I'll be stepping up to a major managing position, and there aren't many opportunities for women in my particular engineering specialty to do that. I certainly don't want to take a step down in pay or rank, but funding for my current job on the east coast is coming to an end so I've got to go somewhere. This potential new job will double my salary, and have lots of other perks/benefits that I'm currently not getting, and has better job security than I'd had in the past. I just have crappy credit right now and would prefer not to buy a new vehicle, so I'm hoping to keep this Pilot if possible.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I knew when I posted this question that I'd get lots of opinions telling me not to move there. I've been applying to jobs all over the country for the past 2 years and haven't had any success yet. I'm a woman and mid-level engineer and am looking for somewhere where I'll be stepping up to a major managing position, and there aren't many opportunities for women in my particular engineering specialty to do that. I certainly don't want to take a step down in pay or rank, but funding for my current job on the east coast is coming to an end so I've got to go somewhere. This potential new job will double my salary, and have lots of other perks/benefits that I'm currently not getting, and has better job security than I'd had in the past. I just have crappy credit right now and would prefer not to buy a new vehicle, so I'm hoping to keep this Pilot if possible.
Congratulations on the new opportunity! This isn’t a career advice forum so don’t listen to anyone telling you not to move to California. Obviously the state has some problems....but I’m sure you’ve done your research. Keeping the Pilot is a wise move

1 - 20 of 53 Posts