Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a mouse problem. Have one resident as of yesterday. Always closed up, so it was able to enter through some part of the exterior or under the hood. It happened to my Acura and the thing died somewhere inside. Had to junk the car. Am trying to trap it but the larger problem is how are they getting in??
I have heard of this on other Honda cars.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wow

I was trying to run some wire, and I think the Pilot is about one of the tightest vehicals I have seen (at least for SUVs and Vans).

I would think the only way into the car would be through the air intake in front of the windsheild.
It should be screened, but have to look to be sure.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would check if he had dinner somewhere on the fire wall. Most likely where wires go through it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on checking the firewall. The air intake is screened and no munch marks on it. My only thought was from inside the front fenders.
Very troubling especially if the thing croaks.
When it happened in the Acura it would have meant taking out the firewall to get at it cause it died at the heater core. And that didn't stink much when the heat was on.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Run the heat full blast

Get out of the car and Run the heat full blast till he is dehydrated!

Hmmm, wonder if this is animal damage per your insurance coverage?
Might be worth a call.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a sister that found herself stuck on vacation this last summer. Seems the vacuum lines had been chewed up pretty good, finally gave out. I would be more worried on what happens in the engine compartment rather then the inside.

·
Registered
289 Posts
D-Con to the rescue.

I know you would rather not have the mouse die inside the Pilot; but eventually it will eat something you don't want it too and it could be costly. The reason animals smell when they die is the blood deteriorating. D-Con will cause them to be dehydrated and they will leave the Pilot in search of water. They will then bleed to death internally and probably not make it back to the car. YUK, I didn't realize how blood thirsty this sounded. In any event, even if they did get back to the Pilot, it shouldn't smell as badly as if they died for some other reason. Good luck. Once had squirrels in the attic (house, not me) and it took forever to get rid of them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: D-Con to the rescue.

copilot said:
...D-Con will cause them to be dehydrated and they will leave the Pilot in search of water. They will then bleed to death internally and probably not make it back to the car. YUK, I didn't realize how blood thirsty this sounded. In any event, even if they did get back to the Pilot, it shouldn't smell as badly as if they died for some other reason. Good luck. Once had squirrels in the attic (house, not me) and it took forever to get rid of them.
Great I was just about to go to lunch.:16:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Images of the guy eating mouse sanwiches in some movie long ago. All good but I'm trying to find the entry point, because once one has sneaked in it's only a matter of time before there are a hundred.
As I mentioned one croaked in my Acura and I had to donate it, the car that is. Still smelled after a year.
DECON under the hood may be an answer. If the thing can find the way out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
"Never Cry Wolf" yumm......

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't put the D-con under the hood.

They love the stuff, you will have them everywhere. Put the D-Con near the Pilot in the garage, carport, etc; but make sure you put it where pets can't get at it. The idea is to make them leave the Pilot to get to the D-Con, not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
C'mon let's be humane ... Haven't you seen Stuart Little ...

;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
See what happens PrG

PrG said:
C'mon let's be humane ... Haven't you seen Stuart Little ...

;)
Look what happens when you aren't around for a while. :eek:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I am torn with guilt ... vermin or no vermin .... !

PrG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glue Traps

Use a sticky glue trap. At least you know that you got him out of the Pilot this way. No bloody mess.:1:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Use a sticky glue trap. At least you know that you got him out of the Pilot this way. No bloody mess
Yeah and then you can feed him some Decon!

Ooops, please not PETA!

·
Registered
698 Posts
YUCK-A-MUNGO!!!! :16:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Keep mouse amused!

SteveLuman said:
Build the mouse a mousetrap car so he won't need the Pilot:
We have to build moustrap cars in tech! Maybe I'll make a mouse car rental service! :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts