Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,372 Posts
I don’t know the answer to your question but the first thing I would do is figure out the part number of the engines. If they are the same, then yes you can. If not then you’ll have some additional research to do.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a 2010 touring can I put a motor from a 2014 or 2015 in that? What is the big difference between the 2?
A good way to check is the website Car-part.com . Enter your vehicle data into the search program, and compatible parts available nationwide will display. This should show you what is compatible and available in junkyards.

You could also try checking JDM engine sellers. A reputable seller should give you information on possible swaps. I don't have a line on any particular JDM supplier, so do your own due diligence.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just became aware of another parts source, similar to Car-part. It is HollanderParts.com. It's a nationwide junkyard parts reference, foreign and domestic. Hollander makes the interchange reference manual that all the junkyards use. It's an expensive book, so using the online parts lookup is more accessible to an individual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am currently in the middle of an engine swap for my 2010 pilot FWD. Currently using a 2011 AWD motor and so far no differences in the blocks. From my research and from looking over the engines from 2009-2015 there really isn't any difference. I've swapped many honda engines and usually just as long as the Engine number is the same, J35Z4, at the very least the majority of the engine is the same. The only difference maybe a sensor or connector here and there. Just be sure to keep your original engine so you can swap over any parts that might not be the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alzeal...so far I have found that the blocks are different but, dont know what is different. I want to get completely away from the oil consumption issue. So finding a 14 or 15 is appealing to me, and they are not that much more, from a junk yard of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alzeal...thanks for your input. so far I have found that the blocks are different but, dont know what is different. I want to get completely away from the oil consumption issue. So finding a 14 or 15 is appealing to me, and they are not that much more, from a junk yard of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently in the middle of an engine swap for my 2010 pilot FWD. Currently using a 2011 AWD motor and so far no differences in the blocks. From my research and from looking over the engines from 2009-2015 there really isn't any difference. I've swapped many honda engines and usually just as long as the Engine number is the same, J35Z4, at the very least the majority of the engine is the same. The only difference maybe a sensor or connector here and there. Just be sure to keep your original engine so you can swap over any parts that might not be the same.
So how did this engine swap go, we are currently looking to do the same thing, please be specific.

·
Registered
604 Posts
So how did this engine swap go, we are currently looking to do the same thing, please be specific.
J-Wes
Registered
Joined 6 mo ago
Last seen 6 mo ago

Probably not gonna hear from old J-Wes again.

That said, while I have no direct experience doing this, all 2009-2015 Pilots use the same J35Z4 engine. There might be changes to the intake, manifolds, sensors/electronics, connectors, but the same long block should be transferable between those model years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No issues with the swap, I used a junkyard 2010 J35Z4 AWD in my 2009 non-AWD Pilot. From what I could tell there were no differences in the engines. I did however use my old intake manifold just to be sure. Also changed all the seals, including rear main and cam seals, new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, checked valve clearances, and a new alternator with serpentine belt and tensioner. Just all the standard stuff while the engine is out. Engine fired up with no issues. I have also heard from others using the odyssey J35Z8 with success and no issues.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Interesting tidbit: acura/pilot engine

He has a typo, but basically is saying J35Z2, J35Z4, and J35Z8 are all VCM (iVtec), bolt-in, only difference is camshafts. I don't know if that requires a tune or not, but certainly opens up the donor vehicle range.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Interesting tidbit: acura/pilot engine

He has a typo, but basically is saying J35Z2, J35Z4, and J35Z8 are all VCM (iVtec), bolt-in, only difference is camshafts. I don't know if that requires a tune or not, but certainly opens up the donor vehicle range.
I suppose it requires the ECM from the donor engine. The body control module doesn't much care as long as the engine tells it that it's running. I assume the transmission control module is just looking for certain outputs and as long as the connector is the same or can be wired properly the transmission would shake hands with the engine as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I suppose it requires the ECM from the donor engine. The body control module doesn't much care as long as the engine tells it that it's running. I assume the transmission control module is just looking for certain outputs and as long as the connector is the same or can be wired properly the transmission would shake hands with the engine as well.
So - you feel like it would need the ECU from the donor, because of the difference in camshafts?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
So - you feel like it would need the ECU from the donor, because of the difference in camshafts?
I would assume anything that relies on the computer to control it (ignition timing, VCM, etc.) will need the ECU that came with it for optimum operation. I'm not saying that the vehicle wouldn't run fine on the ECU in it right now, I'd just be looking to get the ECU that came with the donor motor as well.

Mechanical systems, like VTEC based on oil pressure should operate as before but not all VTEC motors actuate at the same RPM so having the computer that adjusts timing and fuel trims at the right time is critical.

Actually, probably the best scenario if you go that route is to get with a tuner like Ktuner or RV6 and use their expertise to guide what parts you need and whether it makes most sense to possibly send them your ECU for reflashing based on what engine you got.

Reactions: boom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up finding a motor from a 2011 that had 16k so I went that route. I was going to get a 2015 thinking the only issue would crank sensor, or should I say tone ring on the crank, being different. Job went good all things considered, i did have to reset crank timing and reset ECM so engine would idle and run smoothly. I am currently monitoring to see if motor uses oil.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I ended up finding a motor from a 2011 that had 16k so I went that route. I was going to get a 2015 thinking the only issue would crank sensor, or should I say tone ring on the crank, being different. Job went good all things considered, i did have to reset crank timing and reset ECM so engine would idle and run smoothly. I am currently monitoring to see if motor uses oil.
Did you disable VCM operation?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts