Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
When I drive around 1400 rpm, I hear a slight rumble, it stops when I accelerate.

Sometimes when I accelerate, the engine does not run smoothly for a few seconds and then shifts o,k.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look to see if the rumble occurs around the time the ECHO light goes on or off. Because it sounds like your VCM. Sensitive drivers can feel it switching from 6 to 4 and back to 6 cylinders. My warranty will be expiring when I git 110,000 miles at which time i plan to install the muzzler which prevents the VCM from activating.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Look to see if the rumble occurs around the time the ECHO light goes on or off. Because it sounds like your VCM. Sensitive drivers can feel it switching from 6 to 4 and back to 6 cylinders. My warranty will be expiring when I git 110,000 miles at which time i plan to install the muzzler which prevents the VCM from activating.
I considered doing this but I decided to install it as soon as we got the vehicle at 30k. I decided I'd rather nip it early and have no potential long term VCM damage than risk having some but not enough to have a repair done since you know the dealers and Honda won't want to touch it unless it had a catastrophic issue.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
129 Posts
I experienced something like this and it was due to torque converter chatter/shudder. Do a standard transmission "fluid change" with 3 quarts of fresh fluid and if it goes away then do it 2 additional times to replace most of the fluid in the transmission. The procedure is well documented on the forum and youtube. Remember to loosen the fill bolt before the drain bolt so you know you can refill the fluid and not get yourself into a bind.

If you still have it then it's something else and you aren't out much money.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
As others have said, it sounds like transmission shudder. I'd do 3 drain and fills using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF(available at Wal-Mart) and disable the VCM.
After the 1st ATF drain and fill, I'd go through all of the gears and drive long enough to warm the engine to operating temperature (5-10 miles), then do the 2nd. I then would drive 100-200 miles or a week (no rule) then do the 3rd.
I use the S-VCM disabling device made in Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts