Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Channel surfing recently, I happened upon a show about detailing. I think it was the Speed channel, but I'm not sure of that, and it may be a regular show but I don't recall the name. Anyway, in the show, an expert detailer recommended applying a coat of motor oil to the tires to make them shiny. He also said, after a few applications, it will last and it doesn't harm the rubber. Armor All and most other products disappears after driving through the rain.

What say you?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
krygny said:
Channel surfing recently, I happened upon a show about detailing. I think it was the Speed channel, but I'm not sure of that, and it may be a regular show but I don't recall the name. Anyway, in the show, an expert detailer recommended applying a coat of motor oil to the tires to make them shiny. He also said, after a few applications, it will last and it doesn't harm the rubber. Armor All and most other products disappears after driving through the rain.

What say you?
Hmm, seems if motor oil was designed as a tire dressing it would be sold as such.

By the way, tires need no dreesing to keep them in good shape.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Dunno about motor oil being harmless to tire rubber but, if you choose to go that route, be careful about the amount (of any fluid) you put on the sidewalls.

One of the hazards of having fluids on sidewalls of tires, on motorcycles anyway (whether it be ArmorAll, motor oil, coolant, or Chain Lube, etal), is that they will tend to flow onto the tread itself and cause a dangerous decrease in coefficient of friction.

Granted, on a 4 wheeler (with much larger contact patches) and with judicious application, you probably won't have any problems.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
If you read the contents of all the tire shine products, they're all petroleum based. My current favorite for ease of use is Stoners More Shine Less Time. My favorite for long lasting is Meguiar's Tire gel.

The only downside of most spray-on products, including Stoners, is the marks it leaves on a concrete driveway. And absolutely the one to avoid is the No-Touch Tire Foam. Don't even touch that crap on the retailer's shelf.

EDIT - And about the Armor All- do not pass go, do not collect $200, go throw every container of that stuff into the trash right away.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Every decent tire shine product I have used in the past has always left a tell tale "shroud of Turin" effect on my driveway. I shudder to think what motor oil may do to the same, should it get into the treads or if you experiene an accidental spill...maybe borrow the nieghbor's driveway.... I can't imagine that the oil would be to good for the environment unless it is applied with care and conservation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
jay said:
If you read the contents of all the tire shine products, they're all petroleum based. My current favorite for ease of use is Stoners More Shine Less Time. My favorite for long lasting is Meguiar's Tire gel.

The only downside of most spray-on products, including Stoners, is the marks it leaves on a concrete driveway. And absolutely the one to avoid is the No-Touch Tire Foam. Don't even touch that crap on the retailer's shelf.

EDIT - And about the Armor All- do not pass go, do not collect $200, go throw every container of that stuff into the trash right away.
To each his own. I have used the spray foam for approx. 8 years and have had no problems. Works great, easy application and no clean up. I guess that's why there are different products made, so everyone can have a choice.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've read (I can't remember where) that Armor All is actually bad for your tires and dash; that its use can lead to cracking. I don't know if this is true, but I stopped using it years ago.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
4603pba said:
To each his own. I have used the spray foam for approx. 8 years and have had no problems. Works great, easy application and no clean up. I guess that's why there are different products made, so everyone can have a choice.
I found that in using the No-Touch Foam that the tire got much dirtier after use, and the wheels collected much more brake dust, as the foam would dribble onto the wheels, dry, but leave "sticky" areas that were brake dust collectors. I'm happy your experience has been better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jay

The instructions on the spray foam say to wipe any over spray off of wheels and other metal parts. Guess that is why I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Jay

4603pba said:
The instructions on the spray foam say to wipe any over spray off of wheels and other metal parts. Guess that is why I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned.
It also says No-Touch. NOT! As I said in my earlier post, it DRIBBLES. If you have to wipe it in any way, it is not No-Touch. Besides, your tires get much dirtier using it. Anyway, glad your experience has been positive.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I neglected to mention: He applied the motor oil to the tire sparingly with a rag. The implication was, don't get any on the tread, ground, or rim. The guy was, after all, detailing. Maybe I'll give it a try with my old car first; The tires are fairly new but I don't plan on keeping it much longer, so if the tires evaporate it'll be someone else's problem. :22: I'll post any interesting results.

I do kind of like the look. After detailing the car, the shiny tires almost make it look like a new toy.

:29:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tire Gel

I used to use the Meguiar's product, but find the Zaino Z-16 tire gloss to be much better. The Zaino product actually dries, which Meguiar's never did. This became very clear to me one year after detailing my car to go to the beach. Driving through a small sand dune that had formed on the road, a lot of sand stuck to the tire for most of the rest of the week.

With the Zaino product that is not a problem as the product dries completely.

I bought some of those tire shaped pads that you get in the meguiar's box, and it's a real clean application. Nothing on your hands, rims or driveway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
osteome said:
Every decent tire shine product I have used in the past has always left a tell tale "shroud of Turin" effect on my driveway. I shudder to think what motor oil may do to the same, should it get into the treads or if you experiene an accidental spill...maybe borrow the nieghbor's driveway.... I can't imagine that the oil would be to good for the environment unless it is applied with care and conservation.
I hated using those tire shine stuff for that reason, but recently started putting newspapers under the wheels before spraying and don't have the problem any more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For NO overspray on your driveway, try applying the tire gloss product with a sponge rather than spraying directly on the tire. That's how I apply Zaino Z-16 tire gloss. This method works great for me and I believe you end up using less product, stretching your dollar a bit.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Zaino

dsrpilot said:
I used to use the Meguiar's product, but find the Zaino Z-16 tire gloss to be much better. The Zaino product actually dries, which Meguiar's never did. This became very clear to me one year after detailing my car to go to the beach. Driving through a small sand dune that had formed on the road, a lot of sand stuck to the tire for most of the rest of the week.

With the Zaino product that is not a problem as the product dries completely.

I bought some of those tire shaped pads that you get in the meguiar's box, and it's a real clean application. Nothing on your hands, rims or driveway.

I absolutely swear by the Zaino Z-16. I use the wax pad applicators they sell to put it on my tires. One coat gives a moderate shine, where two will give you a real bright :eek: shine. I have never had problems with brake dust or my drive way using an applicator like this. The Zaino usually lasts 3-4 handwashings around here when I use their car wash concentrate (the shine will lessen each time, but still looks great by the third wash). A note, however, all of these tire products i.e. armorall, Zaino, etc. will NOT survive an automatic car wash if you pay for the tire and brake cleaner to be sprayed on during the wash process. It will take all of them off..........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speedy Brite

I've recently started using Ardex Speedy Brite II from my dealer.

This is not a Honda branded product, but it's what my dealer uses on their showroom vehicles.

It leaves a very shiny finish and looks very good. Of course, it only lasts till the Pilot sees a good rain, but...
It has a kind of sickly sweet, almost grape smell. I also use it on the wheel wells, the bumper's gray plastic, the black plastic on the top of the rear bumper, the black plastic under the front bumber, and the dash.

Rain beads up immediately, but after driving through and lot of rain and washing it, most of it's gone. It's also a bit on the steep side at $25/gal. I wash the tires with soap and water, then spray it on when dried.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?:2:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's IT!

I was just about to post about this stuff, it must be a widespread Honda dealership thing, because my dealer uses this too. I liked the looks so much that I went into the parts department, hoping to buy some, and they gave me a bottle for FREE. Nice guys. Wow, especially now that I read how much it costs.
The stuff is sticky and smells like grape dimetapp. I'd NEVER use it inside my car though, especially since it's so shiney...that's just a glare on your windshield you don't need. Dangerous! Isn't it a dust magnet too?

You're right, it doesn't last, and if you're sloppy, you'll end up with black junk all over the side of your pilot after you drive it, LOL -speaking from experience. I haven't had any tire dressing last long here in Seattle. Go figure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've used the spray foam stuff and to keep it off the driveway I pull the car into the street and apply it there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: That's IT!

74PILOTMOM said:
I was just about to post about this stuff, it must be a widespread Honda dealership thing, because my dealer uses this too. I liked the looks so much that I went into the parts department, hoping to buy some, and they gave me a bottle for FREE. Nice guys. Wow, especially now that I read how much it costs.
The stuff is sticky and smells like grape dimetapp. I'd NEVER use it inside my car though, especially since it's so shiney...that's just a glare on your windshield you don't need. Dangerous! Isn't it a dust magnet too?

It doesn't seem to be a dust magnet for me. I wipe it on inside, and you're right it makes it shiny, but because it's wiped on it's not as shiny as the tires. But I vacuum and clean mine inside and out at least once a week, so maybe that's why I don't notice it. (Note, I've only had mine a couple months, and I suppose the romance will wear off in about another year!:2: )
I think the person that does the detailing at my dealership may not be a full time employee. I know that he buys it himself, not the dealership...
I asked my salesperson about it and he hooked me up. He had their cleaner order some for me, then he paid for it, and I paid him directly... Must be something about it not being Honda branded... I dunno.

I forgot to mention, it also looks great on the running boards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find myself using a lot of Eagle One products for detailing. I have used "Wet Tire Shine" for over a year on my Pilot. When you consider availability (Pep Boys, WalMart), price ($5), and durability (2-3 weeks between applications in my experience), I think it is a great product.

I apply it with the Eagle One Tire Swipes. Never had any "sling".

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Eagle One.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts