1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I have a 2009 Honda Pilot at 218,000 miles with the following symptoms:
  1. The car vibrates a lot when accelerating especially when going uphill at speeds around 25 - 40 mph. Not so much at highway speeds. The vibration stops when I take my foot off the gas.
  2. When shifting gears at idle and inspecting the engine with the hood up, the engine moved a lot back and forth.
  3. I hear a clunk when shifting gears
Are the engine mounts bad? How can I be sure? Is there a way to inspect the mounts visually? Which engine mount is likely to go bad first (front, side, rear, lower)? I don't want to change all the mounts.
The vibration seems normal at idle.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Vibration when accelerating under load (going uphill, for example) is usually more of a half-shaft (CV Shaft) issue. Check them for wear and play.

Are you getting any codes, any misfires? If so - then yes, you may have bad mounts.
Otherwise, there's an easy test for front/rear mounts - while pressing on the brake pedal, switch into D rev up the engine and have someone watch the engine move - if it moves too much to the point where it clunks the mount is bad. Repeat with gear in R. There is more than one YT video showing this method.
Side mounts don't usually cause much grief, it's the rear and the front that do.

Rear mount is a bitch of a job on these cars. Front - a bit easier but still not a lot of fun. Mounts are also very expensive.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vibration when accelerating under load (going uphill, for example) is usually more of a half-shaft (CV Shaft) issue. Check them for wear and play.

Are you getting any codes, any misfires? If so - then yes, you may have bad mounts.
Otherwise, there's an easy test for front/rear mounts - while pressing on the brake pedal, switch into D rev up the engine and have someone watch the engine move - if it moves too much to the point where it clunks the mount is bad. Repeat with gear in R. There is more than one YT video showing this method.
Side mounts don't usually cause much grief, it's the rear and the front that do.

Rear mount is a bitch of a job on these cars. Front - a bit easier but still not a lot of fun. Mounts are also very expensive.
I made this video of my mounts: Motor Mounts Honda Pilot 2009 - 2015
Do you think this is excessive vibration?
I checked my CV axles visually by taking the tires off. The boots are fine. Not torn and no oil to be seen. No play either.
The only codes I have are for the CATs. P0420 and P0430. I’m trying to figure out these codes.
Can this vibration be an engine related issue rather than tires/suspension related issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts