Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have an '03 Honda Pilot. 205k mi.

I have had 0 mechanical issues! I live in a heavy winter state.

Stereo no longer works, door handles chipping, seats torn up, vents broken.

I have a new job, was thinking of buying a new $10k AWD vehicle of some sort, potentially with better gas mileage... but also want to put some money into a car cosmetically/performance wise.

What do I do?!?!? Should I keep the Pilot and put another 5k into making it the best version of it's self it can be and take it for another 100kmi?!?!?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
How's the rear subframe? Known to get pretty rusty and disappear in heavy winter states.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the rear subframe? Known to get pretty rusty and disappear in heavy winter states.
I purchased it originally in Colorado, very minimal rust honestly. 0 body rust. Just a bit on the underside of the exhaust. Not sure about the frame or subframe. Thinking I'm going to take it in for a complete inspection..

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
70 Posts
If the subframe is minimal on rust, I will keep the car. Spend a 10K on a used car not knowing what the real issue as to why the previous owner want to get rid of it, will be a headache.

I'll invest on seat covers and by going to a body shop to get the subframe look at and see if rust can be removed or minimized. Even getting your car painted won't cost you 5K and knowing your car has 0 problem, I'll keep it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,361 Posts
Take $1k out of the $10k and put it into improving/fixing anything on the Pilot. Put the rest into savings. The next time sometbing major breaks, dump the pilot and get yourself something else.
It’s only cheaper to keep an older car if you can rely on it. If I can’t drive the car anywhere I want and trust that it’ll make it to my destination then it’s not worth $1 to me. Any car can be made reliable but it’s just a matter of how much money you’re willing to put into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take $1k out of the $10k and put it into improving/fixing anything on the Pilot. Put the rest into savings. The next time sometbing major breaks, dump the pilot and get yourself something else.
It’s only cheaper to keep an older car if you can rely on it. If I can’t drive the car anywhere I want and trust that it’ll make it to my destination then it’s not worth $1 to me. Any car can be made reliable but it’s just a matter of how much money you’re willing to put into it.
Is it worth modding out though 🤔

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,361 Posts
Is it worth modding out though 🤔
That’s the question. I can put minimal money into making my older car just a little more enjoyable to drive (replacing ripped seat, blown speakers, radio upgrade and a nice detail).

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
When is the next TB/WP due?

Take it in for an inspection? You can't look under there? LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When is the next TB/WP due?

Take it in for an inspection? You can't look under there? LOL
Not exactly sure, I may have to pull up a carfax of its service records xD

I mean, in general I want a full inspection done yeah, in regards to the rust, 0 frame/subframe rust from what I can see!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
Not exactly sure, I may have to pull up a carfax of its service records xD

I mean, in general I want a full inspection done yeah, in regards to the rust, 0 frame/subframe rust from what I can see!
The Timing belt should be done every 105K miles, or 7 yrs. But you knew that.
If it's due- unless you DIY, that's around $1200 in most areas.
If you can't see the rust underneath, neither are they.
They may check the control arms, and such- that you can't necessarily just look at though.

One rule of thumb is it's usually cheaper to fix the current ride, etc.

Congrats on the new job!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
If the subframe is good, I'd look to keep it. Everything you mentioned can be fixed with relative ease. Even if you are in line for a new timing belt you'll still be at most 1/4 the cost of the "new" vehicle. Start setting aside $300/month or whatever for a down payment on the next car and when this one finally gives up on you I bet you'll be pretty happy with that down payment.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's your definition of "modding out"?
Is there someone you expect to impress with a 20-year-old vehicle that has 200K miles on it?
Awh :( is that why you do things in life, to impress others?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have an '03 Honda Pilot. 205k mi.

I have had 0 mechanical issues! I live in a heavy winter state.

Stereo no longer works, door handles chipping, seats torn up, vents broken.

I have a new job, was thinking of buying a new $10k AWD vehicle of some sort, potentially with better gas mileage... but also want to put some money into a car cosmetically/performance wise.

What do I do?!?!? Should I keep the Pilot and put another 5k into making it the best version of it's self it can be and take it for another 100kmi?!?!?
I just replaced the bottom seat cushions for $15 each - decent condition, picked up replacement rear vents $2 each at a U pick salvage yard. I also replaced one of the front middle vent louvers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just replaced the bottom seat cushions for $15 each - decent condition, picked up replacement rear vents $2 each at a U pick salvage yard. I also replaced one of the front middle vent louvers.
Where did you find the seat cushions? Awesome good Idea on going to a salvage yard. I should do that!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Not sure about the frame or subframe. Thinking I'm going to take it in for a complete inspection..
All you have to do is crawl under the rear bumper and inspect the unibody crossmember that the subframe attaches to for the condition. Heavy rust, flaking and thin metal = big problem while surface rust and patchy rust can be managed. Post some pics for Internet diagnosis.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All you have to do is crawl under the rear bumper and inspect the unibody crossmember that the subframe attaches to for the condition. Heavy rust, flaking and thin metal = big problem while surface rust and patchy rust can be managed. Post some pics for Internet diagnosis.
I'll post a pic shortly. I think we are looking good in these regards 👍

·
Registered
543 Posts
What's wrong with putting some nice rims, tint, intake, exhaust, and nice suspension on it? XD

Supercharge? 🤔
Cause it’s a 4 door minivan? Exhaust will make it loud and annoy people. Intake will just pull hotter air or make it susceptible to water ingestion. Rims will probably slow it down, though go for it if it’s your thing. Suspension? - Lipstick on a pig. It’s good at what it does, but most of that stuff only makes it an objectively worse vehicle. It’ll never be sporty, cool, handle well, etc. IMHO Better to appreciate the pure utility it offers and focus enthusiast efforts towards a vehicle that is actually interesting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts