Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Pilot I love with close to 200k and looking to sell or trade for a pre owed. What are the most reliable Pilot years to look at? Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Probably 2009 - 2015 with VCM disabled. I don't think there is much difference between the 09-11 minus some extra sound proofing and updated design.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I would wait for the new re-designed PIlot ... I hear it looks a lot more like the Ridgeline . Honda said online they have heard the cries from the public about how it was mistaken for the odyssey. Or maybe they just stopped here and saw how much we bash on the mini van look :)

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I would wait for the new re-designed PIlot ... I hear it looks a lot more like the Ridgeline . Honda said online they have heard the cries from the public about how it was mistaken for the odyssey. Or maybe they just stopped here and saw how much we bash on the mini van look :)
But after the first couple years of the 3rd gen and the VCM/compliance bushings on early 2nd gens I don't think I'd qualify the impending 4th gen as reliable.

OP, I'd look for a '14 or '15... Pull the rear plugs on the VCM cylinders before purchasing, if all looks good disable the VCM right away. Freshen the fluids, do the timing belt (since all of the '15s are hitting 7 years this year being manufactured in '14) and enjoy.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,129 Posts
Well, I'm not on any Ridge froums, but.....

What? The Pilots mistaken for an Oddy? That's odd LOL A big, low to the ground van?
More like a Ridgeline? It's going to have an open top, uni body bed on it? Or maybe you mean the front end?
The 3rd gen to me does not look like a mini van- I don't own a 3rd gen either though.
The 3rd gen looks like all the other Soccer mom SUV's out there IMHO. YMMV.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
685 Posts
But after the first couple years of the 3rd gen and the VCM/compliance bushings on early 2nd gens I don't think I'd qualify the impending 4th gen as reliable.

OP, I'd look for a '14 or '15... Pull the rear plugs on the VCM cylinders before purchasing, if all looks good disable the VCM right away. Freshen the fluids, do the timing belt (since all of the '15s are hitting 7 years this year being manufactured in '14) and enjoy.
Much better off with a used Mercedes Bluetech diesel.

(kidding, very much kidding)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,692 Posts

·
Registered
2014 EX-L - Dark Amber Metallic
58 Posts
Pull the rear plugs on the VCM cylinders before purchasing, if all looks good disable the VCM right away.
@cintocrunch I just bought a '14...which cylinders are the VCM cylinders? I want to have my mechanic to specifically check those out after I have the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
@cintocrunch I just bought a '14...which cylinders are the VCM cylinders? I want to have my mechanic to specifically check those out after I have the vehicle.
I believe checking any of the rear cylinders is sufficient for checking the spark plugs, @Nail Grease is more familiar with which cylinders have the worst buildup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2012. When I changed the spark plugs at 100K miles, the plugs from cylinders 1 and 3 were terribly fouled.

I disabled VCM ASAP. Now at 150K the new plugs still look clean.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
The VCM disabler to get these days is this one:

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
96 Posts
I have a 2015 exl I've not noticed any shudder. If there's already one on it where might it be located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
OP, I'd look for a '14 or '15... Pull the rear plugs on the VCM cylinders before purchasing, if all looks good disable the VCM right away. Freshen the fluids, do the timing belt
Thank you for this information.

I've been reading here for two hours trying to determine the best year Pilot to make my "forever car".

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Still on original struts here. I suppose there will come a day, but as of yet I have no indication it's on the immediate horizon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts