Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what is the most anyone has got on a tank of gas. Tonight my low fuel light came on a 436 miles and when I actually filled up, the trip odometer was at 446.6 miles.

I filled "to the brim" (as I quite often do) and it took 19.125 gallons. Right at 23.35MPG.

YMMV

:)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Wow! I don't think I'll EVER see that#! Most I've ever seen is 325 miles. A/C on. How'd you do that? :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my3kids said:
Now I have been reading every one of your posts on your "less than stellar" mileage - but never has is been that bad!!!! (yet)

:eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow Cool, I would never cut it that close!!!

25-Apr-03 297miles 12.84 Gallons 23.13mpg 2961 Miles on Pilot

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sage said:
Wow! I don't think I'll EVER see that#! Most I've ever seen is 325 miles. A/C on. How'd you do that? :confused:
I've made it very close (if not over) 400 miles on a tank a couple times. This was my best. We have not really had that much hot weather so I doubt I ran the A/C more than 2% of the time on this tank. My driving is typically 70/30 highway/city and over half of that would be with just the driver (me).

The interesting thing to many people is that here in Colorado we run 85 octane "regular unleaded" fuel - versus the 87 found elsewhere. So much for the idea that premium fuel will yield better mileage. YMMV

Oh yes - and I have mentioned this in numerous other threads - I run 36-38PSI in my tires. This helps the mileage numbers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
colorider said:

I've made it very close (if not over) 400 miles on a tank a couple times. This was my best. We have not really had that much hot weather so I doubt I ran the A/C more than 2% of the time on this tank. My driving is typically 70/30 highway/city and over half of that would be with just the driver (me).

The interesting thing to many people is that here in Colorado we run 85 octane "regular unleaded" fuel - versus the 87 found elsewhere. So much for the idea that premium fuel will yield better mileage. YMMV

Oh yes - and I have mentioned this in numerous other threads - I run 36-38PSI in my tires. This helps the mileage numbers.

You are right, the only thing higer octane does is help against engine pinging (higer ignition point).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brew said:
Wow Cool, I would never cut it that close!!!

25-Apr-03 297miles 12.84 Gallons 23.13mpg 2961 Miles on Pilot
Probably not as close as you might think. Remember, I filled it "to the brim". From what I have been able to determine, the tank holds at least 1 gallon over the specified capacity IF you fill it to the brim.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sage, my sage has some issues in the mileage department. While I've not actually gotten 3 miles on a tank, I rarely get 200. I've got a problem that the dealer doesn't quite know how to fix during the "break in" period. My answer was a joke for all those who have been helping me try to figue out what's wrong with my car and being sympathetic as the mileage dropped every single tankfull from a start of 22 down to 11 mpg.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Colorider....give her time. Never say never. I wouldn't have thought I'd run out before 200 miles. Three is only 197 less!;)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
colorider said:

I filled "to the brim"...

If you mean you topped off the tank, you risk spilling gas all over the place, but more importantly, screwing up the emissions control stuff on your Pilot. Something to do with a charcoal canister, etc.

I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but do recommend that you stop topping off, to prevent such problems. And no, I'm not a tree-hugging environmentalist, but have read many time on other boards about the bad effects of topping off the tank, and the resulting problems with the check engine light, oxygen sensors, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Most miles on a tank of gas?

jay said:

If you mean you topped off the tank, you risk spilling gas all over the place, but more importantly, screwing up the emissions control stuff on your Pilot. Something to do with a charcoal canister, etc.

I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but do recommend that you stop topping off, to prevent such problems. And no, I'm not a tree-hugging environmentalist, but have read many time on other boards about the bad effects of topping off the tank, and the resulting problems with the check engine light, oxygen sensors, etc.
I know it is a "no-no" and do it when trying for "exact" measurement of mileage. I fully agree with you! My own personal experience is that I have never had a problem in doing it on any of my cars over the past "too many to count" years.

I'm also an avid motorcycle freak and on some of the FI models (and many of the beemers), it is a REAL problem as it will cause havoc with the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Incidentally, my best "range" on a tank was my first tank! It was mostly all highway miles and I ended up with 354 miles to the tank, and a 20.173 mpg average. That's also the highest mpg that I've experienced. I ended up putting in 17.548 gallons. It was on 8/31/02 if you must know! Just a note that gas was at a $1.339/gallon back then. Looks like we're finally coming back down in that range again - THANK GOD!

Guess I could have squeezed a little bit more out of that tank, if I weren't so much of a wuss! It can hold 19.2 gallon. That was with the Pilot loaded 7 passengers deep, with a good bit of cargo. All I remember is being about 25+ miles from a gas station when the fuel warning light came on. Everybody was freaking out, thinking that we wouldn't make it, and to be honest I wasn't sure if I would either! I'm pretty comfortable with the miles per tank on our Accord, but this our first time with the Pilot, so we didn't know what to expect. It was mostly downhill, so we coasted a bit, and I drafted behind some others!

I guess that would be another one of my pet peeves with the Pilot - "range" on a tank of gas. I think they should have squeezed just a little bit bigger tank that would give you safe "range" in the 350's - that's what I get from the Accord on average, and I think that's the least that most people expect. The Pilot seems to fall a little short there. I'm usually filling up at 10-20 miles under 300 just to be safe. Always seems like we don't go too far before we have to fill up again.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
my3kids said:
Sage, my sage has some issues in the mileage department. While I've not actually gotten 3 miles on a tank, I rarely get 200. I've got a problem that the dealer doesn't quite know how to fix during the "break in" period. My answer was a joke for all those who have been helping me try to figue out what's wrong with my car and being sympathetic as the mileage dropped every single tankfull from a start of 22 down to 11 mpg.
Gotcha! What's up with that? Are you STILL getting 11mpg? :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I am going freeway only (like last month during our vacation from San Jose, CA to Southern CA), I was able to drive about 360+ miles. Generally in mixed city and freeway driving, it is about 320 miles. I generally get an average of about 20.5 to 21 mpg. I have about 6000 miles in the car, that's only 2 1/2 month new.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
405 miles for 18 gallons = 22.5 mpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts