Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the week-end I went to the dealership to begin the paperwork to get my new Pilot. Well, the salesguys and I started exchanging "New Car War Stories." Here are two of mine...

Honda Prelude

Many years ago(G) I had gotten a beautiful new Honda Prelude. I had driven her around all over the place and the time came I needed to get gas. I pulled up to the pump, opened the door, twisted the gas cap and heard a decided, "POOOOOOOOOOSH" sound.

My eyes flew open in sheer terror.

I put just enough gas in it to get to the dealership and carefully drove her there. When I got to the dealership, I dashed inside and said, quite hysterically, "Listen to me - my car is about to explode! There is something seriously wrong with that thing. I tried to put gas in it and when I twisted the gas cap... it made a WHOOSH sound."

That was the day I learned about "Pressurized Gas Tanks."

Honda Accord

The little Accord who is parked in my driveway at the moment, has provided me with a few giggles. The most recent one was a few months ago. I was on my way to church when a yellow light on the dashboard showed up. It said something like, "Service Engine Soon."

I freaked.

Honda owners freak when something goes wrong with their car since it is just not something we're used to.

I flew into the dealership the next day, in a fit (I had just had it serviced) and was declaring how awful they were because this light came on. That's when I learned about that "click three times" thing when putting on the gas cap.

Anyone else got any "new car war stories" or am I the only ditz on the road?(G)

·
Registered
26 Posts
New Car

Well, I can contribute.

I bought my 1988 Accord LXi at a Dodge dealership when it was 1 1/2 years old. Drove it around for some time but I couldn't figure out how to set the radio stations to save my life. I eventually pulled into a Honda dealership.

"Uh, excuse me. I'm a moron, but I cannot set my radio stations."

"Oh, just hold it in 2 seconds until it beeps."

"Oh!"

I miss that car. Had it 12 years. Just totaled last month. <sniff, sniff>. I was more attached to it than I realized. It is being replaced by the Pilot, which is coming end of the month! Yea!

Oh, wait, another story:

Wife came out to Colorado for an interview. I tagged along and went skiing. (Yes, it's heartless, I know.) So after skiing, I went out to the rental car to go back. The parking lot was aweful with snow! As soon as I pulled away I was fishtailing _all_ over the place. The car handled like Cr_p. I almost hit a bus as he rolled down his window.

"Your rear wheels aren't moving!"

So, I released the parking brake and drove off normally. That _really_ improved the handling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well it wasn't new but I sure looked stooopid...

My CR-V was "foolproof" in that you couldn't lock your keys in the car! Or so I thought. You had to have your keys or remote in your hand to lock the car when you exited it. You couldn't even press down the inside lock on the door with the door open. They say that anything "foolproof" just hasn't been introduced to the appropriate fool! In this case that was me. :rolleyes: I was in the rear hatch working on polishing out some scratches on the rear gate after work, when I was still at my workplace (some things you just can't wait until you get home) when I remembered that I needed to go back in for a minute. So I shut the rear gate and glass and.... well I had set my keys in the rear of the CR-V when I got the polish out and left them in the hatch! Luckily one person was still at work (did I mention that I was working a night shift and I got off at midnight?) and he gave me a ride home.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhhhhhhh man! Those were both excellent. I laughed out loud at the part about driving with the parking brake on.

I like this thread. :)

Okay, there was one more thing that happened to my Accord that still kind of embarrasses me. Sort of that "dancing on the nerve" kind of story.

I jumped into my Accord to go to work one bright wintery morning, put in the key, pumped the gas pedal and my little baby wouldn't start. How odd! I waited a while and tried to start her again. Again, I got the same result. I figured something was horribly wrong with her.

I called the office, the dealership and then, the road service.

After a rather long period of time, a nice muscular-looking guy pulls up on the street with one of those flat-bed kind of tow trucks. He manually pushes my Accord down the driveway (how embarrassing) and then after much sweating and straining, he gets it loaded onto the truck.

He has me get into the cab with him and we drive the 45-minutes to the dealership. The whole time he is telling me that he NEVER has had a Honda do THIS before. He kept asking me what happened and it was evident he was very curious as to what was wrong.

I thought that was very caring.

So ... we pulled into the dealership (they were expecting us) and out zip the mechanics. They get the baby unloaded off the truck and are milling around her. The Service Manager took me into the garage area to discuss what was wrong. Suddenly, I hear the familiar "VAROOM" from my baby. I turned around and there she was, just outside of the service garage, running perfectly.

I also noticed that the tow truck guy, the mechanics and everyone else were laughing and shaking their heads. They signal for the Service manager and me, to come over.

It appears that SOMEONE :rolleyes: accidently FLOODED her engine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Used Car Story?

How about a used car story. Had a used 1983 Cutless Ciera 2-Door in college. When I first got it, I had my dad help me add some aftermarket fog lights. In the wiring process, we ended up hooking the relay to the battery for the main and closest source of power. One day in college, the lights quit working. Look under the hood and find that the wire had corroded lose from the positive terminal. Took it back to the dorm the next morning and proceeded to unhook the positive lead with a wrench to reattach the wire. Now in the Cutless, the battery was up under the body by the headlight. The ground was way in there and hard to get to. Easy job right? Skip the hard part of undoing the ground and go straight to the problem. Started working the positive battery terminal with my socket wrench and hit the body of the car. Yeow! There goes the wiring harness up in flames. Grounded out the entire wiring system. Ran to call the fire department while a friend of mine used a wool blanket from the trunk to break the connection. An embarrasing moment with the fire department, a tow, two weeks at the dealership and $800 later my car was fixed. Not great for a poor, starving college student. For years after, the chime would go off whenever I went over railroad tracks. Feel sorry for whoever ended up with that car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GREAT STORY!!!

Say, I used to live in Heidelberg myself - many moons ago. I bet its a blast and a half hitting the autobahn with the Pilot, eh? I used to tear it up in my little Prelude.

Take some photos of your Pilot down by the Neckar River. Might be nice to see her against that background.

·
Registered
797 Posts
copperpoppy said:
GREAT STORY!!!

Say, I used to live in Heidelberg myself - many moons ago. I bet its a blast and a half hitting the autobahn with the Pilot, eh? I used to tear it up in my little Prelude.

Take some photos of your Pilot down by the Neckar River. Might be nice to see her against that background.
Hope this is close enough. River is running a little high this week. Runs great at 100MPH on the Autobahn. Have a speedometer picture on the Top Speed posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good stories everyone!

Reminds me of a 1986 Nissan 200SX Turbo that I had. The car had a digital dash and a voice box ("left door is open", "fuel level is low", "parking brake is on", etc.) The dash was orange and green -looked like a video game. In my family we have a habit of resetting the trip meter everytime we fill up with gas to guage gas mileage. One day my father is driving it and looks down the speedometer says someting like 100 :confused: and he freaks because he was only going somewhere around 40 or 45mph. So he took it to the dealer to have them check out the guages. What had happened was he had pressed the km/h button, they just pressed it again and it returned to mph. Guess you gotta be smarter than the car. :D

- Gil
'03 Red EX-L (wishing for a moonroof and an inheritance from a rich relative.)

·
Registered
481 Posts
purchased a 1983 jeep cj-7 in 1989 from a dealer. never drove stick before and hopped in the jeep and drove it off the lot. learned to drive stick on an insanely busy highway in north jersey.

was really proud of myself as I turned into the gas station to fill up. After getting gas, I stalled the car 6 or 7 times trying to get it moving in 1st gear.

Then the attendant told me to release the parking brake. . .

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
autobahn said:
Hope this is close enough. River is running a little high this week. Runs great at 100MPH on the Autobahn. Have a speedometer picture on the Top Speed posts.
Oh my goodness! (laughing and clapping hands) I haven't seen THAT in a long time. Thank you. Do they still light it up at night? Is the statue of the baboon still there? I have the most scandalous shot of that baboon.(G) Anyway, this picture sure brought back some memories. Strolling down the Romerstrasse ... ah sigh.

We lived over by Campbell Barracks, and then moved to Waldorf. I worked in Seckenheim (between Mannheim and Heidelberg). There was this GREAT little Italian restaurant in Seckenheim that made the most wonderful dish called Parmesan Schnitzel. I loved it. Tried to get the recipe before I left. That was a non-event. He spoke Italian. I spoke English. Neither of us spoke German.

Man, those people drive like maniacs there. Even in fog so thick you can't see they're going 100 mph. And then there is me, sunny day, over in the right lane, doing 80 and feelin' like I'm driving Miss Daisy. Wanted to get a bumper sticker in German that read, "I'm pedaling as fast as I can." I love Hondas, but that 4-speed VTEC is no match for the true autobahn warriors.

Thanks for posting. You made my day!
Copperpoppy

·
Registered
481 Posts
I bought my first car with leather seats, the pilot, and discovered two weeks later that one of the rows of seats is vinyl!

how embarrasing. for honda, that is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leather & vinyl

Unfortuenately, most cars that advertize leather seats really mean leather faced seats - only the part your bottom and back touch are leather, the rest of it is vinyl. :( Only Rolls-Royce and a few other ultra luxury cars offer leather for all surfaces. I imagine it is the third row bench you are talking about - doesn't suprise me. In Accords the door panels are even done in leather, but in the Pilot it is good ol' vinyl. In some ways vinyl is better because it requires less maintenance, but it ain't as purdy.

- Gil
'03 Red EX-L (in the shop getting a ding fixed that the dealer did before delivery. The loaner Civic just ain't the same.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
This story really belongs to an old friend who I haven't seen in years. It was 1982 and she had just bought her first new car, a Nissan Maxima. We were all at a restaurant about 20 miles from home and she was showing us the car while we waited for our tables. It had all the bells and whistles. She started it up, was showing off all the features, including the quiet, patient female voice that kept reminding us that seatbelts weren't fastend, doors were left open, etc. We all marveled at how smooth and quiet the engine was, could hardly hear it running, etc. "Tables are ready!" someone yelled from the door. We all went in to eat. When we finished, over an hour later, she could not find her keys. You guessed it. They were still in the ignition, engine purring like a kitten the whole time, and of course, the doors were locked. :2: :2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most embarrassing new car stories.

I thought I had put this out of my mind. My first "New" car was a 1971 Nova. In the old days, the difference between a four speed manual and a three speed manual made a considerable difference on a young person's insurance rates. So, I ordered mine with the small V8 and a factory installed 3 speed on the floor. In order to take the key out of the ignition, the car had to be in reverse. I was parked on a slight incline once with another car immediately behind me. In order not to roll back into the other car, I hit the accelerator a little harder than I needed to, and let out the clutch. I forgot it was still in reverse. :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am alittle embarrassed to be a guy telling this story, but here goes.........I was 16 and my first car was a "uncle special" $250 1977 Pontiac Bonniville Broughm (sp?). She had a big V-8, peeling paint, and a bumper that fell off in a hit and run. (we won't discuss who's fault!) Anyway, a buddy and I were headed to his house. During the ride we smelled something terrible. After arriving his house, we tell his dad about the smell. He comes out, lifts the hood and proceeded to check the fluids. Did you know that when the oil dipstick is bone dry, the engine won't work right!!!!?????
Next car, 1978 Chevy Nova, On a trip to see my girl, I figured out how to check the oil. I was about a quart low. This time I only needed someone to show me where the oil goes!
I can assure you now, I can do basic car maintenence!!!!! AND, I will teach my daughter the same BEFORE she drives a car.

·
Registered
55 Posts

lol.. i see that a lot of these stories are those of friends hehehehe... right....

now I dont know if this is really embarrassing or a story of stupidity but here it goes...

back when I was 15 (1994) my family resided near Fresno, CA. Mainly a farming area. While my parents held non-farming related jobs, it wasnt rare for me and my friends to operate farm machinery (tractors/forklifts etc.) over the weekends to make a little cash on the side. One such friend, a skilled tractor/forklift operator/driver had finally turned 16 and got his dads old mustang (dont know what year and what kind but it was nice) One thing I did know for sure was that it was a gas guzzler. His dad would let him drive it anywhere but he had to buy his own gas ofcourse. Fed up with buying gas all the time he got an Idea. A farmer for whom he worked for had a fuel tank on premises to fuel up all the farm machinery. So he thought why not fill up his car up from there as well... now I personally knew the difference between Diesel and Gas, if only I had known that it was Diesel in that fuel tank.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One afternoon at work, when all the big mucky-mucks were away, a bunch of us were sitting around goofing off talking. Well, as it is with groups of people who are talking, the conversations segway faster than a messageboard thread. Suddenly, it drifted to the subject of cars and and then, the stupidest things that had ever happened to them.

One gal just sat there, giggling and smirking to herself, as each took their turn telling their "can you top THIS" story.

Well, this gal topped us all.

Seems she went to a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant with a friend in her brand new sportscar (can't remember the flavor of it). She had JUST picked it up. The building was a former flowershop and the windows were set up so that you paid at one window and then had to go to another window at the back, to pick up your food. The exterior walls of both sides, were all glass. The drive thru area was very tight as it was not actually meant to be a fast food drive thru.

So, she pulls up to the first window and notices that the guy at the window is enormously cute. So, she begins flirting madly with the very cute employee, who I shall call Mr. Cute-Guy. He is flirting back.

Now guys have a bad reputation for acting stupid with cars to impress females. Well, here's a news flash -- females can be just as stupid with cars as males, and for the same reason.

So... to impress Mr. Cute-Guy, she pays for her order and then, punches the gas. The engine, which she is not used to, springs forward so quickly that she actually misses the turn and drives over the curb at the end of the little drive-thru. Her wheels are over the curb and she has to back up.

She begins to try to gun the engine to get it back over the curb. It doesn't want to. So, she gets this bright idea of turning the wheel so that the tires might connect against the curb edge and give her some traction. Great idea.

Gunning the engine, however, was not.

Sure enough, her brand new sports car DOES finally go into reverse and goes back over the curb, except she has the wheels turned. At the same time this is happening, all the guys from inside the Jack-in-the-Box, including Mr. Cute-Guy, are coming around the building from the other side to help push her back over the curb. They arrived just in time to see this car shoot backwards at a high rate of speed and crash through the glass walls of this Jack-in-the-Box, right into the restaurant area.

Yep, that one was a definite "Can You Top This?" winner in my book.

:32:

·
Registered
12 Posts
funny

Picking up Pilot at dealer, Car was a mess! Won't get into it! Whiping the car down with a polishing rag which I bought with me to check fluids. Salesman comes out and gives me some polish in a squirt bottle. I saw him apply some of the magic pink stuff so I gave it a shot. Squeeze, nothing, squeeeze, sssqueeeeeeeze pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp all over the front of wifes Black dress. "Look what you did to my dress"! "Yeh, keep looking for imperfections"!! Pretty damn funny the other salesmans reply. Not even a break in the rythm as far as i was concirned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This isn't a NEW car story, but it is a Honda story and I've been waiting decades to share it, so here goes....

I was just out of college and had my first new car, a Honda Civic Hachback (dark green, 1977, for those interested). Anyway, my boyfriend and I (now he's my husband) decided to go out to eat on a frigid, snowy night (as only 20-somethings would do). Couldn't get the doors open -- frozen stuck -- so rather than messing with them, one of us got the bright idea of trying the hatchback...

Sure enough, we crawled in that way and slammed the door shut behind us. Pretty clever, we thought.

About that time boyfriend notices that the gas tank is almost on empty (a usual thing in those post-college days). And I realize that we can't get back out -- no way to open the hatchback door from inside and the front doors are still frozen solid. Windows are frozen shut.

We start panicking. Feeling claustrophobic. Air getting thin. Afraid we'll be found under a pile of snow the next morning. No help in sight.

Suddenly, a guy comes jogging thru the snow. Unbelievable, we think, so we start beeping on the horn to attract his attention. He jogs over, and we start yelling that he needs to open the hatchback door! We're trapped! we shout. Help!!!

He stands there rubbing his head for a few minutes, then shrugs and says, "I can't hear you guys at all! Why don't you just roll down your windows?!" He jogs away into the night...

We decide to use our last ounces of fluid to drive to a large grocery store, open 24 hours. We figure that at least someone may be there to find our bodies.

Lo and behold, after a few minutes in the car, it warms up enough to thaw the door locks...

:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts