Votes: 0 0.0%
  • depends

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I just purchased a 2008 pilot ex (w/ fogs just to clarify), 150k one owner, all maintenance up to date, timing done at 128k, new radiator very clean
I have spent a few hours browsing this site but it is very difficult to navigate.
I see that most people like to buy OEM parts off of rockauto, benardi,hondapartsnow. For aftermarket I can't really find anything besides carID, ebay, amazon and 4wheelparts. It is hard to tell what is universal and what are the most common mods people buy and where from specifically for 1st gen pilots. I do a lot of camping and hiking so dirt roads are common.

Not sure what would be likely found at junkyards or facebook marketplace/craigslist/forums

Any help is appreciated for any of the following items regarding where to find, specific brands, what to avoid etc and yes I have used the search bar many times.

1. For interior LEDs I am thinking superbrighleds.com
2. For bullbar+skid plate I have no clue, but don't want cheap ebay one that will rust after 1 year.
3. For running boards I don't know where to go either.
4. For headunit I am thinking Crutchfields Dual XDVD251BT, has to have Bluetooth, rearcam compatible, CDs. I am ok with losing the sub for now. Will possibly upgrade later. Will replace burnt out climate control lights while I'm in there.
5. For bug guard and window vent visors I have no clue but AVS seems to be popular.
6. For floormats just thinking weathertech or rubber spill catching ones like the monster mats in my mk6 GTI.
7. Eventually will get a trailer hitch with transcooler, I am guessing I can get hitch from junkyard and will buy transcooler new.
8. Headlights, I want them brighter but I do not want to blind other drivers. I searched around on here but there is just so much information I can't tell what the consensus is for reliable affordable brighter headlights. Some say HID some say LED but not for DRL because they will flicker.

·
Registered
472 Posts
4. For headunit I am thinking Crutchfields Dual XDVD251BT...
8. Headlights, I want them brighter but I do not want to blind other drivers.
1. Yes.
3. Junkyard for OEM
4. If Crutchfield says it will work, you're as safe as you're going to get without paying someone else to do it all.
8. Try buffing them to clear up the plastic covers and replacing the bulbs. Cheap, maybe good enough, will definitely work correctly.

Don't know about the other stuff. The LED interior lights are my favorite upgrade, with an inverter in the center console for 110 V ac power a close second.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
8,964 Posts
4. Will replace burnt out climate control lights while I'm in there.
5. For bug guard and window vent visors I have no clue but AVS seems to be popular.
6. For floormats just thinking weathertech or rubber spill catching ones like the monster mats in my mk6 GTI.
7. Eventually will get a trailer hitch with transcooler, I am guessing I can get hitch from junkyard and will buy transcooler new.
8. Headlights, I want them brighter but I do not want to blind other drivers. I searched around on here but there is just so much information I can't tell what the consensus is for reliable affordable brighter headlights. Some say HID some say LED but not for DRL because they will flicker.
I'll take a stab at a few of the other items, FWIW.​

4. Will replace burnt out climate control lights while I'm in there.

A 10-pack of these will cost you less than two from the dealership: CEC Bulb Incandescent Micro 270L - - Amazon.com

AVS for both, yes. Got mine from CarID.​
AVS Bugflector II (accept no substitutes):​
AVS window deflectors (Get the tape-on version; I tried the in-channel ones but they interfered too much with the window and I broke them, while the tape on ones have been perfect for 5 years and counting.):​

Weathertech FloorLiners (not mats). Just wish I could find a comparable brand that covers the whole dead pedal on our model years, not just half of it. :​

If you're in the rust belt, it's going to be a bear to get them off cleanly, and then installing them will also be a challenge. Prepare to do some sawzalling, hacking and thread chasing.​

The LEDs I finally caved in and got are plenty bright, but if properly installed they don't blind oncoming drivers. The low beams are great, but on Canadian-spec 1st gens, the LED high beams cause you to lose the DRLs. I'm thinking this is probably not a problem with US-spec 1st gens.​

Happy modding! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Yes.
3. Junkyard for OEM
4. If Crutchfield says it will work, you're as safe as you're going to get without paying someone else to do it all.
8. Try buffing them to clear up the plastic covers and replacing the bulbs. Cheap, maybe good enough, will definitely work correctly.

Don't know about the other stuff. The LED interior lights are my favorite upgrade, with an inverter in the center console for 110 V ac power a close second.
What inverter did you get? Alot of options. Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
What inverter did you get? Alot of options. Thanks!
I can't find what I bought, but something like this is close. Short answer is get pure sine wave if you want to plug in electronics, and recognize that 180 watts is all you can pull through a 15 amp fuse with nominal 12 volt power. If you want to run something bigger, you'll have to connect directly to the battery.

This thread has a picture of what I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the fast reply. I noticed yours looks like it's plugged into the center console 12 volt, how did you manage not drawing 300w of power? Does it only pull what you put into it? Also, would it get too hot in there with no Airflow if you were using while driving?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
1. Amazon has a great selection of led bulb brands
2. Autoanything. DIY skid plates
3. IMO don’t need em
4. Crutchfield
5. AVS stick on
7. Etrailer
8. Headlights, Amazon, check out Fahren, aim your lights

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. I noticed yours looks like it's plugged into the center console 12 volt, how did you manage not drawing 300w of power? Does it only pull what you put into it? Also, would it get too hot in there with no Airflow if you were using while driving?
The short answer is that you have to be careful with what you plug into it.

The inverter will draw amps as demanded by the load plugged into it, + 25% for loss as a conservative safety factor. If your USB fast charger pulls 3 amps for example, that's 36 watts + 9 for loss = 45 total. Flipping that around, a 180 watt max load with a 25% margin gives you 135 watts of usable power through your inverter. My 300w is great for charging electronics, but big enough not to struggle with something like a battery charger for small cordless tools.

As long as you carry a few spare 15 amp fuses, overloading now and then doesn't matter. Just don't put in a higher value fuse to squeeze more juice from those convenience sockets - fuses protect the wiring from melting (or worse). If you need to run a blender or something, get a bigger inverter and connect it directly to your battery.

Mine gets warm, but it's never shut down because it was too hot. I leave the console front flap open - that makes it easier to get wires into it, anyway.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
If you need to run a blender or something, get a bigger inverter and connect it directly to your battery.
For what? A quick roadside roadkill smoothie??

·
Registered
8,964 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am curious about #3 as well. The CD player went out a few years ago and would like to get something aftermarket with Bluetooth. What is recommended that would for this DIN size?

·
Registered
8,964 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
244 Posts
Alright, so I just purchased a 2008 pilot ex (w/ fogs just to clarify), 150k one owner, all maintenance up to date, timing done at 128k, new radiator very clean
I have spent a few hours browsing this site but it is very difficult to navigate.
I see that most people like to buy OEM parts off of rockauto, benardi,hondapartsnow. For aftermarket I can't really find anything besides carID, ebay, amazon and 4wheelparts. It is hard to tell what is universal and what are the most common mods people buy and where from specifically for 1st gen pilots. I do a lot of camping and hiking so dirt roads are common.

Not sure what would be likely found at junkyards or facebook marketplace/craigslist/forums

Any help is appreciated for any of the following items regarding where to find, specific brands, what to avoid etc and yes I have used the search bar many times.

2. For bullbar+skid plate I have no clue, but don't want cheap ebay one that will rust after 1 year.
4. For headunit I am thinking Crutchfields Dual XDVD251BT, has to have Bluetooth, rearcam compatible, CDs. I am ok with losing the sub for now. Will possibly upgrade later. Will replace burnt out climate control lights while I'm in there.
I got my dilly bar (bull bar) from offbeatoverland.com, brand is armordillo. They sell a few mods for the pilot. So far I’m happy with it. It looks good and the powder coating doesn’t look cheap, very well made and constructed. Hopefully it holds up! I’m 90% sure armordillo makes running boards as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,964 Posts

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts